I am also slightly worried about our variety of companions for the future - however, I could see this being resolved by using the "adventurer" model from PoE (perhaps this even was a thing in the old BG games?). I do absolutely approve of Larian focusing hard on involving their characters as much as possible - but I hope then can see the reasoning in that it is possible to have characters with "deeper" engagement for the story/PC and still add some... Less developed companions for the sake of completion. Comparing the DLC characters from PoE2:D, like Rekke and Ydwin, to the "core" companions, such as Aloth (anyone more than me who'd swap Gale for Aloth in a heartbeat?) and Edér (and Larian, please give us another frontliner companion - I dislike being "stuck" with Lae in the party for the sake of team balance).

The reason that DOS2 get away with so few companions is because they are all class fluid. You can choose either character to whatever role you need - BG3 does not have that and hence you might get stuck with companions you really do not want (and pass up on companions you would want to bring) just for the sake of having a decent party composition.

While I do not necessarily dislike our current companions (I find Astarions snark comments especially hilarious), the character I am playing as certainly do and I would very much like to have something better suited for her company. Especially if we're going to discuss romance - NONE of our current options make even the slightest sense for my character. I cannot see many reasons she'd bring them along after reaching Baldur's Gate / getting their tad pods fixed unless there are some major turn of events ahead of us (and yes, I am aware of the complex content regarding the follower stories that is being data-mined).

So, of course I'd like to see some good alignment characters, considering hardly any of our current ones can be considered good. I'd also enjoy some non-meta characters, however, I am a fan of the regular cookie-cutter options as well. c:

I just hope that Larian keeps in mind that we should at least get enough options so that all can have a supportive character, at least one frontline character, and one damage dealer / utility character that does not hate each of the PCs option, regardless of the PC alignment.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian