Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JoB #822306 20/07/22 05:08 PM
journeyman
journeyman
+1000 to get rid of keys after use up
or
after their intended lock got opened (if you forgot about a certain key and lockpicked the door, blasted it down, etc)

Because of magic pockets, the game already uses the key from wherever it's at. After a while, I don't know if it used the Elegant Key, the Rusty Key, the Old Key, the other Old Key, the Old Key in position 3,5...
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
The keyring would reduce clutter but it wouldn't reduce file bloat. Because there's all this garbage that sits and rusts in your pockets... for some reason...
Something something realism I guess... smile

Last edited by Neleothesze; 20/07/22 05:26 PM.

-N
JoB #822313 20/07/22 05:41 PM
veteran
veteran
I'd be all for a keyring, but there's a reason if they don't want to do it, and that's the same of plenty of bad features about these games: multiplayer.
They WANT to have each key as a separate item since its their way to allow players to pickpocket each other, compete etc.

Of course, it's absolutely impractical and virtually no one will actually bother doing any of it even when playing with others, but go and tell that to Swen and company.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
I'd be all for a keyring, but there's a reason if they don't want to do it, and that's the same of plenty of bad features about these games: multiplayer.
They WANT to have each key as a separate item since its their way to allow players to pickpocket each other, compete etc.
Easy solution:

Make keyring separate tab of our inventory ... that we can open, or close at will.
That way we can have clean inventory, as we want ... and game still can have separate items for each key so we can pickpocket each other until judgement day! laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Doesn’t BG3 have “magic pockets”? I am pretty sure that in D:OS2 keys would get automatically transferred between party members if they tried to access appropriate doors. This certainly happened in singleplayer, but I am pretty sure it worked that way in coop as well.

JoB #822360 20/07/22 10:23 PM
veteran
veteran
People in multiplayer are generally not considered part of the same party. Which means that you also can’t fish from each other’s inventory at will (If not by pickpocketing).

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
JoB #822368 20/07/22 11:47 PM
addict
addict
I currently put them all in a pouch carried by one character, that way I always have them but they are not cluttering anything up. When I come to a locked door requiring a key I already have in the pouch the "magic pocket" feature kicks in.

However I would prefer if they all just disappeared after they are used.

JoB #822400 21/07/22 03:23 AM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Agree with the OP.

JoB #823369 25/07/22 02:31 PM
apprentice
apprentice
This. Dear lord in heaven, this.

I've seen keyrings in games before (can't remember where) and they're the goddamn best. So convenient. So simple to implement.

My inventory is constantly jammed with books, notes and keys I've collected. My obsession with collecting in-game literature is on me, but for the mess of keys of unknown purpose I blame Larian.

Once more I am falsely accused of whatever it is that I am accused of. Falsely.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SirCellophane
I've seen keyrings in games before (can't remember where) and they're the goddamn best. So convenient. So simple to implement..
The first use of a keyring that I can personally remember is from Ultima VII (which doesn't mean there aren't even older examples I may not be aware of) and that's a computer game from 1992.
Countless others used the same mechanic or something equivalent after.

JoB #825696 07/08/22 09:52 AM
P
stranger
stranger
P
+1

10,000 keys later, especially in the infinite inventory size every character has (only limited by carry weight) it feels really weird to keep hold of a 1 use item. Unless you get some kind of use for locking the door behind you, or can lock up your chest again, seems pointless to have the key longer than needed.

JoB #825700 07/08/22 10:24 AM
7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
+1

JoB #825715 07/08/22 12:50 PM
veteran
veteran
I'm more in favor of keyrings that "making keys disappear" even because in some cases the same key may open more than one lock.

JoB #825718 07/08/22 01:15 PM
veteran
veteran
+1 for keyring

JoB #825722 07/08/22 01:35 PM
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Totally agree that there should be some mechanism for preventing keys cluttering the inventory. I can see benefits of all three suggestions (separate tab, key ring, keys vanishing once the lock(s) they open are unlocked).

Because there’s a better than even chance that I’ve lockpicked the lock before finding the key, I’m not sure vanish on actual use would help. Though in some cases I possibly do have keys but automatically lockpick anyway because the chest is locked. I don’t think there’s any difference between the tooltip or right-click menu between a locked chest/door you do have a key for and one you don’t?

I think I have a slight preference for keys vanishing once there are no more locks for them to unlock. If it were more feasible to keep track of which keys went in which locks then I’d say keep them, so even if we didn’t need them that playthrough we could see there might be an option for another one. But as it isn’t feasible, keys vanishing when they’re of no more use would be an incredibly useful indication that there’s a locked chest or door I’ve not yet found.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard