Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Why would I compare it to the first Kingmaker game?? Wrath of the Righteous is also in Beta, and BG3 is Larians 3RD RPG GAME using basically the same system.
It’s running using the upgraded engine, but systems are different. Don’t confuse “feel” of the game, with actual systems running underneath. I think a complaint that BG3 feels more like D:OS3 then DND, is a fair one, but it is a different system, I implemented from ground up.

Think of how Bethesda adapted Fallout3, making it ElderScrolls like. It is not ES, and it adapts Fallout1&2 systems but it does feels like it. Then Obsidian took over and arguably made less changes from Fallout3->New Vegas, then there were from Elder Scrolls->Fallout3, and yet it felt like Fallout again. I am really quite impressed, how Larian took BG3 and DND 5e, and made it not feel like it. That’s an impressive feat, even if a misguided one IMO.

Speaking of which, I just need to get used to Larian being my new Bethesda, and BG3 being my Fallout3. Let’s just hope, that some where down the line, I will get my New Vegas.

OK, I totally agree to that.

As for Kingmaker:
I think that Kingmaker (in its current state, with most of the bugs fixed) is a better game than BG2.
The story is also better I think.
The story of BG2: Evil mage tortures you and kidnaps your girlfriend. You go after him to save her and kick his ass. When you reach him he escapes and you go after him again until you finally finish him in the final encounter.
I think Super Mario Brothers has the same story.
In BG2 it is very well done and that is fine, but the main story is neither complex or new.
Also, most of the content has nothing to do with the main story. You want to save your friend, but you have time to kill dragons, liches and cultists left and right.
The companions were also quite one dimensional. I cannot play BG without Minsc, but he is nothing but "the good hearted idiot who talks with his hamster".
And many game mechanics felt very unintuitive in BG1+2, though this was a problem of 2E, not that the dev messed with the rules.

In Kingmaker the main quest is with you throughout most of the game. And as baron/king it is also your job to solve problems in your country. OK, it feels strange when a guy in a tavern asks the king to bring some ingredients.
While companions are also not the most complex personalities ever, it is nice that their personal quests are spread over several acts across the whole game.

I admit that BG3 is not great in creating a DnD feeling, especially game mechanics wise (jumping, dipping, hight advantage and so on).
But the world building is fantastic. The critical path is rather short, but in almost every place you can discover you find something that is related to the main story. You find things related to the tadpole or illithids in general and possible ways to remove it.You find followers of the absolute or creatures who are connected to them or who suffer under them.
OK, I do not think the BG3 companions will win a prize for being the most interesting NPC in gaming history. From the ones we have I respect shadowheart most. She is a follower of an evil god, but she is very pragmatic and not a psycho killer.

Just to be sure: BG1+2 are great games and I enjoyed playing them.
I also admit that playing BG3 gives me a different feeling, but this is not bad by itself.
But BG1+2 were not perfect and games (just as everything else) keep on developing and I think some things have improved since then.
While I have my problems with some game mechanics and UI of BG3, regarding world building and reactivity it is already an absolute masterpiece.

Regarding companions I think the best one ever is Kreia from KotoR2.
In terms of games that evoke emotions, I think Nier Automata is my favourite so far.
Though it is my personal taste that I prefer games that question the the typical expectations of good vs evil over the classical heroic stuff.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi: