Originally Posted by GM4Him
Did you watch the opening? If that happened to me, and people described what's supposed to happen as flesh turning to gore and face splitting open, I would NOT be casually exploring the world. Id be rushing like crazy to find a cure, and my sleep would be MESSED up. I would have a hard time resting, not resting every 10 minutes of gameplay just so I can trigger all the character development.

The fact that people keep saying that they were told it's not urgent makes my point for me. They can say that you should not be rushed because there is no sense of real urgency in the game. There's no consequences for chilling and gibing other than being nagged by some people who even tell you that's nobody knows what is really happening. THEY DON'T KNOW.

Im sorry, if this was RL, I don't think a single person would be stopping to search every little container in the game. They'd be moving their butts, working as fast as possible to find a cure.
Not really. If the situation above was in any way similar to real life, I think most people would choose to spend their last days with their loved ones, because the possibility of them miraculously finding a cure to an unknown deadly disease is close to zero. Most people aren't genius scientists or doctors.

That is why comparisons to real life will only get you so far. Fantasy adventures tend to have unrealistic premises, because they tell the stories of great heroes and villains. So of course you assume your character will find a cure, because they are the main character starring in an epic fantasy saga, and not the fantasy equivalent of the sims.

The issue is that in BG3 the narrative is tied down to mechanics that clearly favour the players who spam rest, and for no good reason. This limits the roleplaying opportunities, because the only consequence of not resting is losing game content. That was how BG2 build it's narrative too, and frankly one of the areas where Larian should improve, not follow the example of the predecessor.