Originally Posted by poppa
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I think a light two handed spear should also be a finesse weapon. It can be about precision just as much as one handed piercing weapons.

Doesn't even need to be light. I believe both of the gentlemen in the linked videos have videos specifically on the use of spears two-handed and they really only focus on Western styles, I think. Whole lot also going on in Eastern martial pursuits wrt spears.

Spears were the most ubiquitous weapon for centuries for many reasons. They just aren't as 'sexy' as sword play to the modern person who has never had to fight with either, in no small part thanks to Hollywood portrayals of medieval warfare.

Now, can we get slings in too, while we're at it? wink

It wasn't really hollywood that started it. Swords were expensive and thus often only carried by the upper class and nobility. In some places that even got backed up by law. See the Japanese sword hunts where only samurai were allowed to wield a sword. And when the value of knights declined many stuck to their swords and had them embellished further to pretend that they are better than the crossbow and musket wielding rabble. Swords were as much a symbol than a weapon.