Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Does anyone have actual evidence on what the DOS engine can or can't handle? I see a lot of posts claiming that the DOS engine can't handle this or that as explanations for why BG3 doesn't have certain features, but the fact that Larian hasn't yet implemented X doesn't prove that the DOS engine can't handle X.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

If Larian wants to prove otherwise, that’s really on their messaging, not on us observers. The recent panel from hell was the perfect opportunity to shut everyone up, but they completely dodged all mention of such things. Despite the same topics being all over these forums from the very start of EA. Not even a simple ‘we’re working on it, even if it’s not the same as tabletop’. Speculation then would have turned into positive possibilities about how it’s going to be implemented, instead of the current negativity about whether it’ll make it in at all. People just want any answer at this point.

That said, anyone who has played both games has found it easy to observe how everything that originated from DOS2 happens to be working perfectly in BG3 already, and how certain things like Flaming Sphere that work differently in tabletop got completely twisted to work as a DOS2 summon does, and how jump/disengage got paired together to work as a DOS2 escape skill does, and so on. But that is the expected nature of development using a modified engine. Beyond that, realistically the only thing BG3 has done so far that wasn’t in DOS2 is the cutscenes.

I will repeat that Paladin (or Monk) is my personal litmus test for the gameplay, but it’s probably the same for a lot of other people in terms of gameplay criticism too. It’d make certain things abundantly clear. If there are no reactions, people will likely stop posting about such things because it’d be rather definitive at that point. Before that, this forum will realistically just get louder because there is still a chance.

People have the right not to care about such criticism, but that doesn’t mean one can deny they exist either. In the absence of any answer, the forum’s general mood has admittedly taken a turn for the sensational and desperate, as expected to be.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 29/03/21 06:49 PM.