Originally Posted by Bufotenina
Indeed in almost all the games I play there's a complete lack of night or day time, some games alternate pieces of narrative are in the day, other are in the night.

In my opinion the problem is the conflict between the need and want of players to finish all quest, and the fact that a realistic time arrow would completely break the suspension of skepticism because it would became obvious the lack of time limits to solve the quests.

Which games do you have in mind ?

I probably forgot a lot but the only RPG I think about that lacks D/N cycle are Wasteland and Dragon Age.

The only TT based video game I remember that have a D/N cycle based on specific quest is Drakensang. But feel free to correct me, my memory is not so good.

According to me the lack of time to solve quest wouldn't be better/worst with or without D/N.

Is that something that really bother you even in games like in TW3 or TES ? Was it in the old IE games or their modern "sucessors" ?

Owlcat try to add time limits for quest and I think it's one of the most hated thing about it.
On the other hand, BG3 has a sense of urgency, no D/N cycle and we can rest forever without consequences.

I'm 100% fine with the lack of timers for quests. It's a bit immersion breaking in all game (that have D/N or not) but it's definitely convenient.

This is more about story or side quests content than visual effects according to me.

I really think it could be interresting if the D/N cycle tied to the rest mechanic.

1) Start playing during the day.
2) Clic the short rest button show us a short cinematic.
2.1) Gameplay after the first short rest when the sun is going down.
3) clic the shortrest button show us a short cinematic
3.1) playing at night after 2 shortrests
4) Clic the longrest button
4.1) Players walking to camp at night during long rest.
5) Clic the bed and back to 1.

With weather effects appearing randomly during these 3 "atmospheres" it would be really awesome.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 04/04/21 12:48 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus