It really is such a good game. It’s story (so far) is well thought out an intriguing, voice acting and visuals are outstanding, and it is rapidly approaching what I feel a BG sequel should feel like (Nietzschean monster within). The combat can be fun but after a couple play throughs, you realize that the mechanics of the game virtually beg a certain play style.

The whole height/advantage mechanic has been beaten to death, and I really hope it is pared down. It is ultimately Larian’s call, and I think it is unfair to judge them off an early build. I also think we shouldn’t discount all changes Larian has made. Attacking someone from an elevated position should have some advantage. This is why castles had tower and walls and why a hill could be a game changer in a military conflict. It sucks to fight someone above you. It just needs some tweaking. I also think throwing people and getting advantage for jumping behind someone should just disappear. Come on no.

One last point, I had a blast playing CyberPunk for about the first half of the game. I built a sweet hacker who could ping people and kill an entire building worth of enemies with hacks. No one even knew where I was. It was fun the first several times I cleared a mission like this. Then I completely lost interest in the game. The point is that once someone figures out an op exploit of a games mechanics it becomes difficult to enjoy. It is fun shoving a goblin to his death, but after a few times, it just becomes a quick and easy way to clear an area. I actually am really hoping that we run into plenty of flat areas just so we can have some variety with the combat.