Originally Posted by Sharp
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
Lastly, it's rare for well-thought-out posts backed by data to get dog-piled by opposing views. The posts that get dog-piled usually leave a lot open for interpretation or are minimal statements.
I would disagree with you there, go onto a flat earth or antivaxx facebook page and post as well thought out and argued post as you like and then come back here and tell me what the response is. I will wait :P Even in the context of these forums, there have been some occasions with dog piling on good posts.
Facebook is a well-known echo chamber. The Baldur's Gate 3 Forum, definitely is not an echo chamber. You will usually see Homophily on videogame forums, which is "birds of a feather flock together". If I do engage in an echo chamber, then you will see symptoms of an echo chamber on that social media platform. And please only challenge me to do things you are willing to undergo yourself.

Said dog-piling on good posts usually has other folks joining in on support. You'll get doggos from both sides.

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
That probably does happen, I don't have an idea of how frequently that actually is the situation. For example, we see posts all the time that just skipped over numerous posts to reply directly to the OP. So it seems there is quite a bit of confidence to post in the BG3 forums. Also, I'm sure measures are taken so that forum members don't feel alienated, but it's difficult for forums to be perfect.

Does happen. But I find it interesting to ask "when do people call something an echo chamber"? In what context does this word get used and applied. People -- myself included -- call something an echo chamber when the conversation isn't going their way. So I look I look at reddit (until very recently) and say "it's an echo chamber where the only discussions allowed are about romances"
That's not really an echo chamber though, to be an echo chamber you would need a buffer to prevent opposing views from being seen. Conversations can not go a person's way for numerous reasons.