Long post, I know, but I hope someone reads this feedback anyway and does not ignore it as another Solasta-related shitpost
tl;dr Solasta if you like to solve tactical puzzles in SP (not aware if it has MP at all), BG3 if you want to have a cinematic Single-/Multiplayer experience

Originally Posted by lilmonster
I agree with the OP. Solasta's combat plays way better then BG3's.
But can you shove a goblin watchman from his guardpost into a ravine? I have only seen Solasta's trailers, but BG3 appears simply more cinematic to me. Raw mechanics are interesting, especially when the finer/math-y points are handled by a fast calculating computer. If that is your main draw for a 5e/D&D video game, by all means play Solasta over BG3.
Edit: There is a reason Pool of Radiance and Temple of Elemental Evil, who slavishly followed D&D rules to the letter are somewhat obscure games for genre enthusiasts while Baldurs Gate 1+2 are beloved classics despite the jank.

That being said, I can see BG3 being more fun with friends, as it lends itself better to CREATING memorable stories. That is only in part referencing the writing that is in the game. How players interact with the story is always much more memorable. Like, your druid character wishes to help the druids first and foremost (i.e. "handling" the Tieflings) while your dickass thief buddy (who may very well exist in the same game at the same time) does not really care and navigates goblin politics for fun. That can lead to PvP conflict, and it has 'broken' many attempts at playing the campaign together with friends, each of them memorable, mind you.

This happened to me while playing the EA in MP for the first time: Cleric, Druid, Wizard party (all players with no NPCs)

Cleric decides he does not like Tieflings, frees the goblin and leads them to the goblin camp
Druid wants to assist his fellow druids, but decides to go through Halsin instead of sucking up to the understudy Kagha, he goes along
Wizard follows along for his own reasons/the cure

At the goblin lair, the Cleric slinks away with Sazza (rescued goblin), while Druid and Wizard search for Halsin
Cleric is tricked by Sazza, alone before the mighty Drow priestess, getting eviscerated by spiders is definitely on the table. He breaks down and joins the priestess and shows her on the map where the refugees are
Wizard+Druid rescue Halsin, discover where to go next
Cleric runs off to the grove and opens the gate, but is killed by the Tieflings
Druid+Wizard find out about this treachery and fight the goblins (and the Tieflings, since they rightfully believe that the party betrayed them)

Here is where the game broke: The goblins did not fight back until they were half dead and only fought us one at a time, making the fight kind of trivial, Druid was in fact afk for 20 minutes while Wizard solo'd most of the killing.
The Druids of the grove sealed themselves in in lieu of getting murdered (a very good idea! Bravo, Larian!), sadly there was no option to appeal to them through the sealed door, Halsin was not to be found anywhere either (either to kill us or to berate us).
We restarted with another fresh party soon after.

In my head, the remaining party, Druid and Wizard, did not revive Cleric after his betrayal (and neither was he in that game) and moved on to the Shady Towers, or whatever the non-EA part of the game will be, smoking ruins and carnage in their wake.
My "favorite" part: Cleric was of the Light-Domain mad

Last edited by Sarevok Jr.; 24/04/21 08:42 PM. Reason: forgot to add smth