I had always agreed about the poor balance of the game.

As many other here, I'm really worried about combats. I'm one of those that try to understand and after many monthes thinking, discussing, learning D&D, trying the game... It obviously comes from Larian's encounter design "philosophy".

Not sure about "a troll" but there are rules to push creatures in D&D and they aren't the same in BG3.

The size matter in D&D. I have to admit that I don't know exactly how it works in BG3 but I'm sure it's not the samee. Here are 3 issues in BG3 :

- in D&D it's an action. Pushing is meaningfull because if you miss you won't attack. You use it wisely, it's not something you use if you don't have better to do with your bonus action (if you have one, you don't always have bonus action in D&D).
- in D&D you push for 1m, not 4. It's not that easy to push creatures in hole. In BG3 it's close to a win button.
- in BG3 if you're hidden (not invisible...), you have 100% to push... Even if you're a goblin pushing a giant.

In D&D attacking someone that can't see you gives an advantage. To have an advantage you usually have to be creative, use synergies between characters, think about a specific tactic. In BG3 advantages are everywhere.

Not sure why it hasn't work in your exemple because you can have an advantage in BG3 as soon as you're in someone's back even if his eyes are open and if he see you turning arround (but hey, it's a turn based game so they're frozen !!)

You'll have more spellslots with your casters at higher levels and your cantrip will scale to be more powerfull. Spellslots is a part of the tactical value of D&D. You have to use them wisely rather than burning everything at every combats.
Of course combats have to be balanced, and they aren't.
This is something else they completely miss and the spellslots system is reduced to nothing interresting.

Again, this is not about D&D's rules. This is all about BG3's combat balance/design (and the resting mechanic).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 10/05/21 04:55 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus