Originally Posted by Chief_Jericho
Like I said I was just repeating what I'd been told in a number of other threads. What I think Larian need to focus on is not making a D&D game, but making a fun game that's in the D&D setting. A lot of players will buy this on the back of DOS2 which is arguably (is imo) the finest RPG ever made and are going to be sorely disappointed. If the combat in this game was on par with the combat in DOS2 we'd have a masterpiece on our hands. Sadly it's not even close.
I agree. Making a fun game is the most important thing. With the caveat that it has to be recognizably D&D; otherwise it's incredibly misleading to use the name brands of Baldur's Gate and D&D. Selling yugioh cards advertised as magic the gathering cards is scummy, even if both are (arguably) fun games.

Originally Posted by Chief_Jericho
It's not that I don't understand [resting mechanics and spell slots], it's that I don't agree with that decision. Look, we have a perfect storm right now of a lack of spells, a limit of how often spells can be used, and a high miss percentage. For example, it's a good idea that frost ray (or whatever it's called) does less damage than Fire in exchange for slowing the character but if you miss and then can't cast it again in the fight it's neither use nor ornament. At least a fighter who misses can always swing an axe again. At level 4 you get a cantip or ability or something that allows for the spells to be replenished, but then Larian made it so it can only be used out of combat and only regenerates one Rank 2 spell. Larain has made combat magic worthless which means Gale is worthless and most players will never play a wizard. The mechanics surrounding how magic works in this game needs a major rethink before this game is released. They simply aren't fit for purpose in their current guise.
Cantrips can be cast again freely. Casting a cantrip is a caster's version of swinging an axe. They both cost no resources and have the same chances of hitting, assuming equal stats.

Edit: For leveled spells, I agree with you. The combination of more difficult encounters (encouraging either cheese or spending lots of spells), the ease of long resting (~free), and the relative reduction of utility spells' worth due to easy advantage+other abilities/consumables, and the ease of losing concentration due to surfaces all harm combat enjoyability. E.g., in 5e I would spend a spell slot to use Bless and be happy with my turn, but in BG3 it's just so much better to spam attacks.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 10/05/21 05:32 PM.