Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by Droata
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
There are possible logical explanations for Tav to be selected as leader, I had mentioned one - she/he just has the better parasite. Like an alpha parasite. or maybe its like the Nameless One Planescape: Torment - he attracts people like himself, who exist in opposition to their natures. All of us having the parasite draws us together, and we subconsciously select a leader.

Sure. That would be a great story for them to actually tell in the game.

[Illithid][Wisdom]Use your connection with Wyll to force him to back down.

As Wyll draws his blade to settle the score with the goblin that took his eye, his hand trembles with the sword half drawn. He glares at you in recognition, struggling against the invisible force of your will. You hold his gaze until he looks away, defeated, and his blade returns reluctantly to its sheath.

Using the tadpole to dominate your companions into submission would be a great explanation for Tav calling the shots. Unfortunately, such an explanation is not currently present in the game. Nor is any other explanation.

Right but that's a very overt and obvious subversion of will. What if its something that's subconscious - like being the baboon with the biggest reddest ass - or if you need a human analogy, we ascribe leadership to men with very large, wide faces - regardless of actual competency or ability.

The Tadpole manipulates our behavior in obvious and not so obvious ways. I know it sounds convenient - but there is some evidence to suggest this may be the case.

If that is what they are going for, they need to have better breadcrumbs. I wasn't left with the impression that there was some mysterious force at work that I wanted to learn more about. I was left with the impression that the dialogue felt contrived and the players leadership status unearned.

They could have Volo mention something to the player about how odd it was for the Blade of Frontiers to be following them instead of the other way around. Or wonder why Lae'zel was still there instead of going off on her own to find her creche. That might at least give the player some confidence that there really is a plan and that things really will make sense eventually.