Originally Posted by Droata
I don't know where you got the idea that the story in BG3 "miles deep." Miles wide perhaps, but not deep at all. They give the player lots and lots of choices, but without seeing characters reacting to events and interacting with each other, none of those hundreds of choices are particularly meaningful. The story in BG3 was the weakest link for me. I haven't played Solasta, so I can't compare that particular game, but NWN, NWN2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, POE, POE2, and Tyranny were all stronger storywise than BG3 in my opinion.

Your companions hardly react to anything that happens. They defer all agency to the player for reasons that the game never bothers to address. When Wyll tells Astarion not to make any jokes about eating them, I was shocked. I was like "Wait, you guys can see each other?" I honestly can't think of a single other example of one companion directly addressing another companion outside of a couple of times I heard them bantering while wandering around the map.

Think it's more than a little harsh at this point to be comparing finished games to a game that is only in EA. We already know that there are various interactions missing from BG3 Act1 alone.