Originally Posted by Abits
It was the same in dos2 btw

Yup. Party members in that game pretty much acted like the rest of the party except the lead character didn't exist. They would sometimes have a group convo about something that just happened or would consult with you about an impending choice, but they would only say it to the lead character. A big consequence of the choice to kill off all inactive companions at the end of chapter 1, which would remove a lot of the incentive to design party banter if half of the possible cast is always killed off, I'm sure.

The only instance of two companions even acknowledging each others' existence that I can remember in the entire game was with Sebille and the Red Prince towards the start of chapter 1, and only because their personal quests briefly intersected with that one blue lizardman. Even Loshe for some reason has more things to say about important NPCs you meet on the road than her fellow party members when you question her.

It's pretty much the major reason why I'm consistently baffled by the idea that people somehow consider DOS2's writing to be excellent. I mean, I used to think so too, but that was back when it was the first cRPG I've ever played.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 28/05/21 10:19 AM.