Originally Posted by Abits
People who bring up Solasta non stop should be fair - Solasta has nothing going on for it other than most aspects of combat (and I feel even on that department there is much room for improvement) which are great.

The game itself is slow, ugly and boring. I've played it for several hours but it was a mostly painful experience with slight bursts of brilliance. And I found out there are two specific aspects of this game I really enjoy - character creotor and dungeon master mode. Unfortunately, this is not enough to sustain a great game, definitely not this day and age, when video games became much more.

About the relationship between Bg3 and Solasta - I think the reason people here keep mentioning this game is not because they think it is better, but because there is something very specific it did batter even if it is inferior in all other aspects when compared to Bg3.

This is pretty much what everyone has been trying to say from the very beginning in regards to the combat. BG3's current state of combat is awful enough that it needs to be relentlessly called out at every opportunity, and Solasta just happens to be the most convenient example as a point of comparison.

Though even without the context of Solasta and tabletop DnD rules, I still find BG3's combat design to be awful on its own merits. I'm generally 100% of the belief that if BG3 wasn't a Larian game, this kind of design would already have already been considered intolerable by the majority of the turn-based enthusiast community. And I'm not alone in this assessment, if the recent Reddit polls are anything to go by, the people who think there's something really off about the design actually comprise a majority of the community there. And that should be pretty alarming for a subreddit that generally that tries to stamp out anything misinterpreted as remotely hostile to Larian.

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...etter_dd_or_larians_modified_dd_and_why/

(Hilariously, the poll was started by someone who had a clear agenda in support of the current design if their comments in the thread were anything to go by. So much that people called him out on it, checked his posting history and discovered that the poll was most likely created in response to a meme thread the previous day mocking what he saw as Larian detractors that backfired enough that it got deleted, and he deleted his Reddit account after the poll itself also backfired afterwards.

The poll also made me consider something else, that Jump/Disengage in its current form probably isn't that way for any balancing reasons, but more likely due to engine limitations/animation reasons. The devs could split them up and leave them separate if they wanted to. Goblins are already able to disengage by themselves, after all. But at the moment, we've never seen a jump from an enemy that didn't have a disengage tied to it too. It's not that people are against changes in general either, it's just these specific ones are bad and really bring the experience down. All this would have probably been more acceptable as bonuses granted to homebrew archetypes or something instead of messing with the base rules to such a fundamental degree.)

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 28/05/21 06:47 PM.