Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
And I'm holding out hope that a "DnD mode" will be implemented.
I don't believe that will happen. Even if devs agree with community regarding bad things that their changes added, I don't believe their solution will be to go back to PnP rules, but to try to solve it their way. BG3 departed too far, to easily implement another ruleset.

"DnD rules don't translate to videogames" except Solasta proved you wrong.

"This isn't a criticism of DnD . . . but the fighter is a tutorial class" Facepalm.
I don't think it is a wrong statement. I don't think artificial feel of Solasta is necessarily a horrible thing (even card games can work in digital setting), but they are not intuitively videogamey (and definitely don't look good). Having to dismiss every reaction interaction is awkward. And I did note how little actual choices I made when playing in Solasta - just swing after swing.

On paper what Larian is trying to do, is good. What they have so far, is not there. Reactions aren't good enough to replace what's in the ruleset, and if backstab/highground, bonus actions jump and push are to make melee characters more interesting, then I don't think they achieve this purpose - if anything they devalue skills of other classes.

"People came from DOS and wanted . . ." DOS2 was fine. Nowhere near as fun as BG2.
I am with you, but
1) D:OS2 sold really well
2) D:OS2 audience is the audience that Larian already has. Satisfying them, plus converting new DnD/Baldur's Gate fans, is probably a safer bet, then betting on audience for a 20 years old title, that might/might not still play games.