Originally Posted by Try2Handing
Larian has never done "random encounters", whether it's random spawn in a given map, or random world map encounters during travels, or even "fixed" random encounters that always happen after certain conditions have been fulfilled, and I wouldn't hold out hope that they suddenly would now.

--Agreed. I can see it being handled like Fallout 2 (was it 2?). Have a random encounter during fast travel, sometimes. This combined with occasional camp encounters would qualify as fun without falling into the trap below.

Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Because of how slow the turn based combat is, I actually thought while playing that NOT having random encounters was nice, if I was trying to get somewhere or was in the middle of exploring something specific
This is one thing that would make random encounters much less fun, and could make them not want to do it, even if the thought does cross their mind.

--Yeah. I agree. There are two linked issues:
*combat is slow. This translates into less fun *overall*, more load and redos for some (DOS2). I can see something like random popups of XCOM2 zombies as they were handled still working here (you might play the same encounter twice and a horde of zombies might or might not be there).
*random encounters, done incorrectly = some characters abusing them to grind up and then op the game, e.g. Skyrim. So, yeah, if random encounters were used, it would require some thought.

Originally Posted by earl45
But still it just seems so very un-D&D[...]
If you read up on the feedbacks on here you'll realize that this is no where near "un-D&D" as quite a few other things that other players have brought up.
--Heh. I am new to the forum so I'll take your word for it. Still, Larian was very clear from early on that it at least aspired to emulate 5e.

Originally Posted by Alexandrite
I know they were a thing in BG1 though so they will probably make an appearance eventually
If they're making this game based on "what was a thing in the old games", we would have a very different game right now...