Originally Posted by Alodar
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Alodar
What makes you think they didn't. BG3 has been in development for years.
They tested and iterated the game long before it went to EA.

And the result was a system which uses half the rules from 5e and half the rules from a homebrew, and those two rule sets don't work well together.

Half.
That sounds quite a bit like hyperbole.
Which half of the rules do you think are homebrewed and why do you think they are worse?

If you actually want an answer, there have been dozens of threads since EA started documenting how many rule changes were poorly thought out.

Examples include:
1) Giving enemies an abundance of Alchemists fire which creates surfaces even on a miss, dealing damage with no saving throw, thus making any spell requiring Concentration worse because it increases the chance of failing at Concentration higher than normal.
2) Increasing the enemy HP and decreasing enemy armor is another poor change because they didn't touch enemy saving throws, therefore making spells and attacks which require saving throws to be effective worse, because those deal the same damage as before, but are relatively harder to hit compared to things which target AC, and when they do hit, they feel worse to use because the enemy HP is so much higher.
3) Free advantage from backstabs and height breaks 50+ class spells and features in just the low levels alone. Such as Rogue's Sneak Attack, which you can no longer do when on the low ground. The Barbarian has the Reckless Attack feature, which gives advantage on attacks in exchange for enemies getting the same.
4) Everyone getting free disengage and jump, and everyone getting bonus action hide make the Rogue's cunning action feature pretty much useless.
5) I could go on and on...

But I don't believe you want an answer. Every single one of your posts that I have seen leads me to conclude that you're deliberately arguing in bad faith. If I come back with a list of rules, even if it's 40%, you'll just say "Aha, that's not half of all the rules in the game".

Even if I do spend a lot of time composing that list, you will dismiss or ignore any answer I give with your ridiculous standard reply of "Larian is the DM and Rule 0 of DnD lets the DM change the rules. Therefore any rules changes they make are by definition rules as written."

You take one premise, that "the DM is allowed to do such a thing," and from that posit the false conclusion of "Anything which is allowed to be done is therefore good." Here's why that's a false conclusion:

Let's play a campaign. I'll DM, you'll be a player. As the DM, I am ruling that all your attacks and ability checks are to be done at disadvantage, because I say so. Just yours, not any of the other players. Because I'm the DM, I can do that because of Rule 0, right? Would that be a fun experience for you, as a player? Of course not. I would be singling you out for unfair treatment. That's absolutely something I CAN do as a DM. It would make me a really shitty DM, though.

"Rule 0" is not a valid excuse for everything the developers do. Your position boils down to "Everyone should stop giving feedback because Larian is the DM and they can do what they want." That's not even Larian's position, otherwise they wouldn't bother with EA at all.

Last edited by Stabbey; 20/06/21 04:47 PM. Reason: some examples and a new conclusion.