Originally Posted by virion
It led Obsidian to bankrupcy so I think it solves POE2 sales question ^^"' But yeah, I heard it was past a million. Wasn't enough for the budget invested.

Bankruptcy? They did get bought by Microsoft, and had been struggling for years prior to that. But I wouldn't call that outright bankruptcy.

Kingmaker getting 2 million is good news though. Such an unexpectedly good game for me after I was mildly let down by PoE2's haphazard pacing in the end, even with all the bugs. Probably stood out to me more because it had such a fun and aytpical premise instead of trying to be epic with flowery writing. WotR so far is even better for me on so many levels, I've never had such confidence in a game before. I imagine it's going to be a DOS2-style breakout hit.

Originally Posted by Tuco
Poe 2 sales at launch were somewhere in the 100k ballpark if I remember right.
If it was 1 million from the start Obsidian’s CEO would have danced naked on the company’s rooftop.

Yeah, I remember people were trying to extrapolate sales through Fig investment returns about 3 months after the fact. People figured that it probably sold about 200-300k in that time period. But probably the biggest sign of failure to me at the time was just how little chatter there was for each of the game's expansions. I think by the time the last expansion came out, I only saw like 5 threads on Reddit talking about it on release week, which was a clear sign that the project met disaster.

I would hope that taught all future cRPG developers not to plan for expansions, or at least don't announce a season pass before release, because that kind of model may backfire hard. I suspect what most people did was wait until all content was released first, and bought everything through sales, because cRPGs are infamously buggy out the door anyway.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 21/06/21 11:28 PM.