Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
Rolling stats in a videogame is borderline cheating, because in the actual tabletop environment, where rolling stats is sometimes used (not always, my DM prefers standart array only for example), you dont get unlimited rerolls. Unlimited rerolls make no sense, you might as well use an editor to give yourself overpowered stats if basic pointbuy is too low for you.

Rolling stats though is still part of the feel of what makes a Dungeons and Dragons video game feel like a Dungeons and Dragons video game. Yes there has been a movement under Wizards to remove the stat rolls but for older fans the dice roll is an important part of character building. This was the way the first 2 Baldurs gate games were (and dragonspear) and yes you could easily put an auto roller on and get thousands of rerolls which is outside of the games design. But in the games design was saved rolls so you could roll over and over again and if you wanted to try to go for a 90+ in your summed stats, then you could roll for an hour or however long you want to try and take your best. But it wasnt just BG1/2 The first DnD game I played was the Eye of the Beholder series (still recommend if you have a DOS emulator) where the stats were rolled but after the stats were rolled you could adjust them without restrictions so if you wanted all 18s with an 18/00 you just clicked the stats up.

Translation from the table top game this is usually done by modifying the way rolls are done and most gms allow some sort of modification to the stat rolling guidelines in the books, and the various editions have changed their guidelines to give players more options from the 1st ed 3D6 down the stat column, in order, and I only ever had one DM do that to their players, whom didnt have much fun being stuck playing characters with so many bad stats, though it could be argued that being able to choose where to put the stats, going to 4D6, and 4D6 drop the 1s and rolling multiple sets of stats and choosing one feels like DnD, being stuck playing a Captain Above Average does not so much.

And to tie this back to the OP, I still hope that the suggestion that we will one day get to roll stats comes to fruition before the full release, as it can create balancing issues, especially if a reroll option is available. Maybe if you want to keep the feeling of cheating down (still dont consider this cheating historically in DnD video games). Make the stats available at the time of character generation with no actual roll, game generates the rolls and when you click the stats page the first time and can assign the rolls to each stat. I wouldnt like having to roll a few dozen characters to get an 18 but if thats what the player base wants i can get by playing DnD Vanilla Edition.