Print Thread
M
Madduin Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hello and thanks for reading this.

I am playing on PC and I am having trouble positioning the camera. I am new to this type of game and I'm hoping I'm just missing something. Say my character is on the ground but the enemy I want to target is on top of a building. If it's too high I can't position the camera to click on the enemy (I just realized I could probably use the portrait in the turn order area, but still...). Instead I have to explore the area hoping to find a hill or something to steer the camera up it. Instead of zooming in and out, is there a way to zoom up a down?

I appreciate you.

veteran
veteran
Sadly, you are not 'missing' any particular trick. Larian's camera controls and the way the camera interacts with their world is just plain bad. It's a thing you have to actively fight in order to play the game. Going into tactical mode rarely helps, and it doesn't solve any of the major failings of the system which literally handicap your ability to play in ways that it should not (such as being unable to target things on different levels, even though you absolutely can, and enemies can do it to you just fine).

Mayn have discussed and reported on this, and we're hoping it will be fixed, but it's not even really been acknowledged by Larain at all, as of yet.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, the camera control is definitely a struggle. Using WASD keys for camera control, and clicking to move, takes some getting used to for most players. People are accustomed to using WASD to move their characters in most other games, and using the mouse to control the camera and use spells etc.

What I do to make BG3's controls more bearable, is first of all assign Camera Rotate to Right Mouse Button, so you can control it a little better.
This will un-bind Cancel Action though, so re-bind it to something else while you're there - I have mine bound to Mouse Button 5 on my gaming mouse so it's right under my thumb when needed.

This may or may not help you, depending on your situation and the particular bit of landscape you're having trouble with.
I hate overhead tactical mode (O key) as everything looks so flattened, so I just struggle with the camera as best as humanly possible. I wish the camera was better controllable. Patch 5 maybe???????? I guess we'll find out.

(I have previously tried and stopped playing a Divinity game on the beach, ie starting area, as I hated the camera controls so much, until I was shown the above workaround.)

Last edited by Alexandrite; 08/07/21 09:06 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Madduin
Hello and thanks for reading this.

I am playing on PC and I am having trouble positioning the camera. I am new to this type of game and I'm hoping I'm just missing something. Say my character is on the ground but the enemy I want to target is on top of a building. If it's too high I can't position the camera to click on the enemy (I just realized I could probably use the portrait in the turn order area, but still...). Instead I have to explore the area hoping to find a hill or something to steer the camera up it. Instead of zooming in and out, is there a way to zoom up a down?

I appreciate you.
I reccomend you stick with the WASD for camera control honestly. RTS games and many RPGS use WASD to move so if you're new it's better to learn the convention (akin to how WASD is usually movement for a charcter in FPS'ers)

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Yes, the camera control is definitely a struggle. Using WASD keys for camera control, and clicking to move, takes some getting used to for most players.

Was always a standard for me. It's super annoying it's not the case in the BG2 : EE for me for instance since I got used to it with other games. But well, not really the subject ^^

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
I set up options to use my mouse pointer to move the screen around and that solves the problem for me and gives me two more keys to bind stuff to.

J
stranger
stranger
J
I just did the same thing, with remapping rotation to right mouse button. (It looks like I unbind two keys cancel and context, but I can't re-bind those two keys to just one key again? The whole keybinding thing seems unfinished.)

With this game, I just can't seem to see enough of the world at a time but also I can't seen enough detail at a time.

I would love to see how an option to "click and drag" the camera would feel, kind of like starcraft 2.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
I have a mouse wheel and it was automatically bound to zoom in/out. If you are in overhead view, it goes straight up and down; otherwise, it goes up or down at an angle.

Link Copied to Clipboard