Who gives about dnd tabletop.

No matter what it seems in current days video games are not the kingdom of nerds like my self that lost themselves in the manuals of some tabletop role play game (in my case it was the White Wolf rpg, I bought an immense amount of manuals of that game).

With the diffusion of smartphones and tablets videogames use has become widespread to a lot of casual players. So much that almost all games, specially in those platforms, are pay for win, same evolution we have seen in MMORPG when they left the subscription based system to the free to play.

As usual in these days of social media what has passed is not what really is going on with the mass of players but but the loudly mess made by a fraction of players who can create a massive amount of trafic.

Thirteen community updates, five patches and still we are stuck in the first act and there is not even an hypothesis of a probable time of release of the full game, even if the request for new material is one of the arguments, saddly not brought on by the trafic overlords that complain about the cheesy game that allows (but DOESN'T FORCE) long rests after any battle [don't think is right? don't use it], but by people interested not in a set of rules that any player knows in the LARP and Tabletop can be bended, twisted, ignored by the dungeon master (a good example is NPC and DnD by vive la dirt league in wich is obvious how the master, a professional narrator, bend the rules to allow a funny narrative, to mantain in life B.O.B, to avoid bottle necks due to the unruliness of the players).

This way the loud complainers (who are gonna complain, pretty sure the next issue will be the fact that there are too many objects in the world too lot thus people can still use long rest as exploit to make a cheesy game run, and that the inspiration minigames too would be used as exploits to make cheesy game runs) will be sedated on one side while fueled with new material to argument against thus creating traffic and rumor and smoke that will hide the fact that there is no projection of a date of release and that we are still stuck on act one.

Moreover the choices made by Larian show that they're not focused on create a really immersive system that is get rid of the static difficulty system with fixed choices made by the company and to create a flexible one that allows in this case the player to make choices on what kind of "exploits" they want to use. In this case it would mean to allow gamers to choice if they want to use, other than the usual debuff in monsters and doped xp growth, things like barrels, height/backstage vantage, open/restriscted access to long rests, density of lootable objects in the world].

With Divinity II in the long run they were pushed to create a system that let the player choose exploits able to make it easier even the explorer mode (for example the chance to have perpetualy on the source vision, the chance to replenish source points with a rest, and so on).

Obviously thoseoptions have to come with a price that is the inability to get some or all trophies and achievement tags.

Another reason why the "dnd rules stat that" is flawed is because in tabletop rpg there is a sense of the time used by the players, the master can decide that a quest is botched because the players lost time bickering about unrelated issues, the master can also decide ways to force the players to move so that the time table is respected, for example in NPC and DnD the master evoches a dragon everytime the players start loosing too much time in their antics.

In ANY video game time is a farce. Some games are quite open about it (I think the DOS, Outer planets, BG3), while some other are more subtle (Elder Scrolls Online).

To lament about the chance (again is your choice as a player to ignore the rules that to you are, allegedly, so sacred, it's up to you to decide how many times to use the long rest and if to exploit it, if my memory doesn't play games with me there is a thread from a player that went solo, or at max with one companion, and decided not to use long rests, if you decide to ignore the rules it's your fault not a problem of the game) to exploit long rests because they don't follow the tabletop rules, even when the game, tha is supposed to a role playing one, opens a windows that clearly allerts that you're going to the camp to sleep thus ending a day and starting a new one [but evidently for some people the concept of role playing means to blindly apply the rules of the tabletop game and to ignore the things that clearly show that the "two short rests one long rest per die are followed] when the game is crearly cristallized: no matter how many days you spent exploring and completing quests the reptiloid patrol will be at the edge of the map, no matter if you pass all your time looting from the environment the quests will wait your arrive, storytriggering encouters will always happen in the same way.

All the "DnD rules" is just a farce made by "profesional players" and complainers that just want to scratch an itch.

So now resources are compulsive for long rests (and again I bet my money in a follow up of complains on how easy is to find resources) but still time is cristallized. That is "dnd rules" people just f***d up the game for us player that use video games to relax, or approach them in a casual way, without having even really make really immersive the game and with the big issues, that is lack of new content, lack of a timetable for the development of the game, lack of projections on the release data, the inverosimility, obviously ignored by the dnd rules armada, of quests without a time limit.

But hey now we have to use resources to camp so now we now that time is passing.

If this is the way BG3 is going to be developped I'll abbandon it and wait to the moment the company will be pushed to release dlc that allow to exploit that same things that now they are eliminating. All games on the long run had to do that it will be no different for BG3.