Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by TomReneth
Almost. I still think the Arcane Trickster is the ideal Rogue subclass for me and it is from the PHB. It became a lot stronger when Booming Blade was introduced though.
So far i didnt come to taste to both Arcane Trickster, and Eldrich Knight ... many people say they are both totaly awesome, but they seem to me like they are something in between wizard and fighter/rogue ... but neither properly. :-/

Eldritch Knight is truly set apart in pen and paper by Reaction spells Resist Elements and Shield, which are both missing from BG3. It gives them the ability to survive truly tricky scenarios, move where they shouldn't sometimes, pull off stunts, etc... Without those 2 key spells, honestly EK Fighters in BG3 feel subpar and it's no wonder you feel the same.

As to Arcane Tricksters, there's two things missing. First is the 2nd level Illusion spell Shadow Blade (It deals 2d8 psychic damage on a hit and has the finesse, light, and thrown properties (range 20/60). In addition, when you use the sword to attack a target that is in dim light or darkness, you make the attack roll with advantage.) is not in game. Secondly, all of the truly cool things you can do in pen and paper with the Mage Hand cantrip is missing as well.

That's just some of the cream of the crop picks, not all. So unless Lariant adds some cool features to make up for the ones they're not putting in those 2 subclasses really don't shine like they do in 5.0.