Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
never one to avoid controversy, after trying Solasta again, yes it seems to implement 5e well, but by doing it well it made me realise that 5e is not a particularly good system for a video game, designed as it was to to make dnd newbie friendly (good). It just feels really simplistic: "balanced" - yes, I suppose, but I think "lackluster" is how I would describe it. And since all Solasta really has going for it is "accurate implementation of 5e", that doesn't leave it with very much at all.

There was a poster who went on and on about how 3(.5) was the better system for a video game and i didn't agree with them because I find nwn1-2 and IWD2 to be lackluster as games, but I suppose that is an issue with those games not with 3.5e and I think Kingmaker shows how "Mathfinder" works very well in a super-crunchy video game.

Overall Solasta actually reinforces my lack of attachment to 5e RAW, since it makes me realize I don't particularly like 5e, raw or otherwise, which is a shame because I like BG3

I find "Mathfinder", D&D 3.5 and other games work well in a videogame because the game engine makes all the calculations for you, and you do not have to spend a year playing a character to reach level 12, so you can try different builds faster, or change your character or paty composition mid-game, etc.

So you have ton of options to character and party building to try in a way that is easy and fun.

D&D5e favors roleplay, is newbie friendly, and easy to play in PnP, but the options in combat and the character creation are MUCH more limited and neither videogames included multiclassing. Even I enjoy my D&D5e games I do not find the combat and character creation that 5e provides particularly engaging to play in a videogame, to be honest; at least if you compare it with other tabletop games that were turned into videogames, like pathfinder, shadowrun, Mutant year Zero, D&D3.5 (Knights of the chalice), the Dark eye (drakensang and realms of arkania games), etc.

The two games we have of 5e are still fun to play, each for different reasons.

Last edited by _Vic_; 13/07/21 07:02 PM.