Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
As a gith, we can tell him the truth that we found a weapon he searches for, then he will order to kill us and flee, which makes no sense because the weapon is his only purpose.
[Linked Image from i2.paste.pics]

Last edited by GetPrise; 19/07/21 09:39 AM.
old hand
old hand
It's very... Weird to say the least. I feel like the option is there for the future but because that part is not done or inaccessible the scene is forced to play out this way.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, the more I think about it, the less sense it makes. Firstly, he has a dragon. That dragon could kill us way more easily than the rest of the patrol. It would be faster and more convenient, and just smarter in every way. He could have his moment of presenting the weapon himself rather than leaving the possibility that his patrol mess up. Secondly, why wouldn't he take us to be cleansed? It's perfectly possible that Githyanki don't actually have a way to stop ceremorphosis, but Lae'zel seems to earnestly believe that they do. It's possible she was lied to, but I can't think why her people would lie to her about that. She's demonstrated already that she's willing to kill herself rather than be turned, and the Gith don't strike me as the sort of people to perpetuate a lie like that among themselves.

veteran
veteran
I love his character. The way he delivers his voice lines is perfect.

But yeah, "I'll fly away and let my lackeys to do the job for me" makes sense only in case he doesn't become aware/convinced that you have the artifact he's looking for.
In that scenario he absolutely should not have the confidence to delegate the job.

I can accept the dragon not intervening (something about "damaging the goods" or some excuse like that) or him watching on the sidelines because "he doesn't want to dirty his hands with lesser beings" etc. But in the very moment the players admit they have the desired artifact it should basically be game over for them.
Or at least he should fly away AFTER taking the item from us, leaving to his lackeys just to finish the job.

Last edited by Tuco; 19/07/21 02:09 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
I can accept the dragon not intervening (something about "damaging the goods" or some excuse like that) or him watching on the sidelines because "he doesn't want to dirty his hands with lesser beings" etc. But in the very moment the players admit they have the desired artifact it should basically be game over for them.
Or at least he should fly away AFTER taking the item from us, leaving to his lackeys just to finish the job.
This could lead to a great quest: recover the artefact from the gith.

- It provides us with more incentive to go to the creche, making it personal. Maybe you're just curious about the artefact or maybe you want revenge.
- After the artefact is stolen from us, presumably we could question SH more about what it actually is and why it's important to go retrieve it. We can use the threat of not going to force her to reveal information.
- It allows for additional methods of interacting with the gith camp: sneak in to steal back the artefact, murder everyone, persuade/trick gith crech members into handing over the artefact, and/or perhaps having to make a choice between recovering the artefact and a chance at being cured.
- It would lead to a Big Moment for Lae'zel: does she help us or her people?

veteran
veteran
I dunno ...
I readed so much comics, and played so many games ... so this behaviour aka "I'll fly away and let my lackeys to do the job for me" seem totaly normal. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I dunno ...
I readed so much comics, and played so many games ... so this behaviour aka "I'll fly away and let my lackeys to do the job for me" seem totaly normal. laugh

Kinda like "I must go now, Mr Bond, give my regards to the sharks..." I too think it's a played trope at this point and in this situation it does ruin my disbelief.

Also, in that scenario can you imagine what happens to Kith'rak Voss after Vlaakith hears this? How he had the artifact in his grasp and simply left, just flew back to base like "mission accomplished, champagne all around" without having the prize in hand?

veteran
veteran
Exactly ...
It reminds me situation from start of Order of the Stick (web comics, dunno if you are familiar) ...
Its the story from DnD world, where characters sometimes realize that they are in DnD world and are freely talking about rolling dices and stuff. laugh

Where
dragon was flying away, yelling his name on the group ...
And then Rogue (or was it Ranger?) jumped on him, and hit the finishing strike ...

I still remember the group being pissed off, since he clearly ruined main quest, bcs that dragon had even his own name, wich means he was obviously suppose to return later as some high-tier boss!
laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 19/07/21 05:26 PM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I dunno ...
Well, but that's the problem. It's a narrative trick that works only when the villain has more important things to do or he has already achieved his goal, not when he's flying away "confident that everything will be fine" while leaving the very same artifact he was allegedly looking for in your hands.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
I have seen the scene too. smile
And i still find it acceptable. wink

veteran
veteran
Exactly. It's one thing if the bad guy is going off to finish enacting their master plan or even if the bad guy is lazy and going off to do something more fun. This is the Kithrak's top priority. Furthermore, he says that he's leaving to tell his superior that the job is done. So he's leaving his subordinates to get the artefact and then...trek on foot to deliver it. Even if he didn't want to be involved or for his dragon to be involved, it would be faster and easier if he just stayed there, waited for the others to get the artefact, then flew with the artefact to deliver it.

I understand that sometimes characters need to do the illogical thing for the sake of the story, or certain things need to be fudged, etc. I'm even an advocate of not ketting hard logic detract from telling the best story possible. But when the flaw is this glaring and distracting, you can't just leave it in and say "it's just a story."

veteran
veteran
I ran into this as well when writing my fan fiction. I made it so Shadowheart wasn't in the party and Lae'zel revealed to him that Shadowheart had the weapon and where she was. So he jumped on Qudenos' back to go after Shadowheart while Baretha and her party attacked Lae'zel and company. That, at least, made more sense. I even had the Kith'rak tell Baretha that if Lae'zel and company actually did wind up having the weapon, she was to give it to him and NOT return it herself. He was NOT about to let anyone but himself claim that prize for his queen.

That makes way more sense than what is currently there.

I also came up with another scenario that could potentially work. To save the party, who are the Absolute's Chosen, suddenly, at the end of the scene as the Kith'rak is about to kill Lae'zel and company, goblins and drow IN MASS NUMBERS, ambush the Githyanki, coming out of the mountain pass. While Kith'rak and dragon fight off the horde, the Kith'rak leaves Baretha and company to kill Lae'zel and party. Yeah, Dragon Fear would crush goblin spirits, etc., unless the Absolute was empowering them to resist; doing what they can to throw their lives away to save the Absolute's Chosen.

Anyway, something like that is really needed in this scene. I love having the dragon show up and the Kith'rak there and so forth, but there needs to be a much better reason for them leaving. Shoot! Even a Mind Flayer ship dropping out of the sky suddenly to try to seize the weapon would draw the dragon and rider away and make sense with the story. Anything but, "I have to go report back to base now that our mission is complete even though I could kill them first and then take it myself back and present it myself and gain all the honor for myself."

veteran
veteran
Question ...
What if ... he didnt want the Dragon to see the artefact?

I mean, we still dont quite know what it is ...
And as far as i know, Red Dragons and Gith are not "allies" in the right sence of that word ... more like on "mutualy benefitial agreement" ...

So, if that Artefact (dunno if that is even possible, just guessing here) contains for example some part essence of Tiamath (or other strong Draconic thing, as i said i dont know laugh it might even be some shit that Vlaakith stole from Dragons, and now keeps it to maintain their "loayality") ... it would TOTALY make sence, that he leaved. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 19/07/21 08:05 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard