Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
Well, there definietly were worse models, no argue about that ...
Even tho that dont make the "less, but still ugly" race beautifull out of sudden. laugh

But that is as it seems just matter of personal taste. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Aarakocra laugh

veteran
veteran
Aasimar

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by Tuco
That wasn't my point, as much as the fact that questioning their quality seems a bit bizarre

he wasn't questioning their quality. he was saying that if they use the lizards in DoS as a base idea to work from, the dragonborn are going to look ridiculous, and nothing like dragonborn. reading comprehension

veteran
veteran
Gnomes....said no one ever.

But seriously Gnomes. Rock Gnomes, Forest Gnomes and Svirfneblin.

Blackheifer
Dragonborn and Half-Orc would be nice.
Also I would like it if Larian could make Halflings look more like actual Halflings. They don't look proportional right now, at least not to me.

old hand
old hand
Dragonborn, dragonborn, dragonborn, dragonborn.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by handzum
That wasn't my point, as much as the fact that questioning their quality seems a bit bizarre

he wasn't questioning their quality. he was saying that if they use the lizards in DoS as a base idea to work from, the dragonborn are going to look ridiculous, and nothing like dragonborn. reading comprehension

Nah, he was LITERALLY making a point about questioning their quality and implying that if that's the extent of Larian's capabilities they'll need help "to get it right".
Something that he reaffirmed at the subsequent replies, by the way.

Last edited by Tuco; 27/07/21 02:25 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
H
stranger
stranger
H
Nah, he was LITERALLY making a point about questioning their quality and implying that if that's the extent of Larian's capabilities they'll need help "to get it right".

not sure where u got the quotation from there. lol

and again i dont think thats quite the response you got but ok

veteran
veteran
not sure where u got the quotation from there. lol

and again i dont think thats quite the response you got but ok
He's literally stressing that he thinks the lizardmen in DOS 2 are ugly here, in case you missed it:

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Well, there definietly were worse models, no argue about that ...
Even tho that dont make the "less, but still ugly" race beautifull out of sudden. laugh

But that is as it seems just matter of personal taste. :-/
Of course, he's Ragnarok so the wording sucks as usual and he couldn't spell two lines correctly to save his life, but still.

Do we want to play the game of making wishy-washy interpretations to deny reality, now?

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by andreasrylander

Betcha we don't see Dragonborn until full release in 2 years.

Now Gnomes...they are already in the game. Gnome Paladins here we come.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by andreasrylander

I'm incline to bet they'll be among the last ones added as well. If not THE very last ones.

veteran
veteran
Svirfneblin.
Is that deep gnome, or some another version? O_o

Something that he reaffirmed at the subsequent replies, by the way.
Hope you dont mind i invite myself to your debate gentlemans (and Tuco). smile
Actualy you both are right ... i rarely say only one thing as you probably noticed. smile

I really dont like how Lizzard lookalike in DoS ... but to be honest, i admit from the options there they were the prettiest (but still ugly for my taste) since i really dont like whole desing of that game ... so yes, i was questioning their quality. :-/

Also i have said that i hope Larian will not use their model for Dragonborn (actualy not even for Lizzardfolk, IF they plan to implement them ... even only as NPC, to be honest) bcs that would be a disaster in my opinion. :-/

Hope this will bring some peace to your hearts. ^_^

Now you jinxed it ... if they end up ugly, i blame you ... just for you to know. :P

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
A
addict
addict
A
Gnomes....said no one ever.

But seriously Gnomes. Rock Gnomes, Forest Gnomes and Svirfneblin.
I've been saying gnomes. smile

veteran
veteran
Unpopular opinion perhaps but I find the more outlandish races like lizardmen, genasi or dragonborn distracting for focused storytelling unless they can be a proper part of it.

Gith are fine since they are explained and important in the context of the story. Tieflings too and so we already have two unusual races present and explained. But throw in a random dragonborn, warforged or yuan-ti character without any relevance to the story and it's just like "what is that, where did it come from and what does this mean". And while you're thinking about the answers to those questions which you're not going to get, you're not thinking about the story. Then there's the question of how NPCs should react to these special races, which easily leads to an insurmountable amount of work for the developer.

So I don't think adding more races outside the basic half-orcs is a good idea unless you can do them justice or the story requires it. I didn't mention gnomes, I know. smile

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Unpopular opinion perhaps but I find the more outlandish races like lizardmen, genasi or dragonborn distracting for focused storytelling unless they can be a proper part of it.

Gith are fine since they are explained and important in the context of the story. Tieflings too and so we already have two unusual races present and explained. But throw in a random dragonborn, warforged or yuan-ti character without any relevance to the story and it's just like "what is that, where did it come from and what does this mean". And while you're thinking about the answers to those questions which you're not going to get, you're not thinking about the story. Then there's the question of how NPCs should react to these special races, which easily leads to an insurmountable amount of work for the developer.

So I don't think adding more races outside the basic half-orcs is a good idea unless you can do them justice or the story requires it. I didn't mention gnomes, I know. smile

This why I specifically said there wouldn't likely be a yuan-ti race added.

That said, I'd love a story focused on the yuan-ti as well... It feels like a bit of D&D that has a lot of potential for development both in terms of raising the threat of the serpent gods (maybe the 4 big factions going to war with each other?) and elements of the culture splitting off for less malevolent "serpent gods" like couatl, llllends and so on.

Perhaps down the line. Sadly, there's not really a big city near Najara and the Serpent Hills to do something like "Baldur's Gate"

old hand
old hand

Races don't require story to put them into the game. They are part of the actual world of forgotten realms, you go into a town and you'll see dragonborn, it's not a shocker. Kind of cingy, reminds me of borderlands 3 where they have to have a introduction screen of the character with his name slapped on there.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj

Races don't require story to put them into the game. They are part of the actual world of forgotten realms, you go into a town and you'll see dragonborn, it's not a shocker. Kind of cingy, reminds me of borderlands 3 where they have to have a introduction screen of the character with his name slapped on there.
Every part of a story, including races, needs a proper motivation to deserve existence. It's a very small minority that knows the current D&D lore so inside out that things don't need to be motivated.

That said, since Dragonborn and Half-Orc are PHB races, they will probably incorporate enough lore on those races into BG3. Dwarves, Elves and Halflings don't need much since they are so established and similar in generic fantasy everywhere. But even I don't know what the deal with the Dragonborn is even though I'm a D&D vet since AD&D because I haven't played 4e or 5e. Being a dragon humanoid does raise a lot of questions.

T
addict
addict
T
[quote=fallenj][quote=1varangian]

That said, since Dragonborn and Half-Orc are PHB races, they will probably incorporate enough lore on those races into BG3. Dwarves, Elves and Halflings don't need much since they are so established and similar in generic fantasy everywhere. But even I don't know what the deal with the Dragonborn is even though I'm a D&D vet since AD&D because I haven't played 4e or 5e. Being a dragon humanoid does raise a lot of questions.

Couple of different origins. They were part of the "Points of Light" campaign that was in 4e which they decided to basically just abandon when they went to 5e.

(I really hate this, there was a place for Points of Light even if its cosmology was very different from the Great Wheel... but WotC wants everything in the same multiverse rather than letting them be separate... Eberron and MtG also feel like they should be separate really... the Great Wheel cosmology has Toril, Greyhawk, Athas, Krynn... Earth... there's plenty of room to just have a separate reality entirely for some of their IPs)

One theory is that they were intended to be servants to the true dragons but rebelled and became their own thing. There's another possible origin that is less "created as slaves" but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

old hand
old hand
Tell me where's the halfling or gnome story? What about the bugbear or any other races tossed in bg3 randomly, where's there story? Please, this is a forgotten realms game, lore is already established. People that don't play d&d are not going to know the difference between a wood elf and a high elf but its their, nor are they going to know what a halfling is or a gnome specifically in the forgotten realms setting.

Dragonborn, Eladrin, & Gensai all have established lore, it happened before this game just like the rest of the races. It seriously would be no different that putting a half-orc into the game vs a Gensai. Just because you don't know it doesn't mean it's different that any other basic race.

Dragonborn came from Abeir twin planet to toril. The spellplague caused the two worlds to collide, over all, the spellplague caused a lot of change to enviroment for FR. Abeir population is summoned up of Dragonborn, dragons, gensai, and several others.

Gensai has been in forgotten realms since 3e, its a race specific to the setting.

Eldrin are one of the original races of elves that never left the feywild (all elves originated from the feywild). In 3e they used to have moon elves and several others that are not named anymore, Eladrin are moon elves and silver elves.

Last edited by fallenj; 27/07/21 08:29 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard