Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
It's pretty interesting to see just how much weight people put in characters being attractive.
Not that suprising.
A lot of people, especially that portion of the user base coming from the Bioware fanbase and that claim to "play for the story", see the RPG genre basically as "dating sims with sword and sorcery combat on top", so not-too-fuckable models are somewhat perceived as a capital offense.

Let's be real, fuckability is not that important in the great scheme of things. Just look at Lae'zel. An actual frog but because she's into BDSM she's the queen (of cringe) of the subreddit.

i think you vastly underestimate just how important "fuckability" as you put it, is to a lot of players.

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Innateagle
It's pretty interesting to see just how much weight people put in characters being attractive.
Not that suprising.
A lot of people, especially that portion of the user base coming from the Bioware fanbase and that claim to "play for the story", see the RPG genre basically as "dating sims with sword and sorcery combat on top", so not-too-fuckable models are somewhat perceived as a capital offense.

Let's be real, fuckability is not that important in the great scheme of things. Just look at Lae'zel. An actual frog but because she's into BDSM she's the queen (of cringe) of the subreddit.

i think you vastly underestimate just how important "fuckability" as you put it, is to a lot of players.
Yes laugh. I could f... Lae'zel in BG3. However that is not all. I dont want to have romance with men, but it is also nice that BG3 have handsome men. Well and people look generally good in BG3 the companions at least. Characters in none AAA game Solasta look like some wierd dolls and not handsome or attractive. They have same face models for both men and women in Solasta. A freaking doll house in Solasta. I understand Solasta is not a AAA game.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 27/07/21 06:50 PM.
addict
addict
imo its not their "attractiveness" or their "graphical quality" it's their uncannyness. They don't look ugly. They don't look poor quality. they look like a robot wearing a human face as a badly fitting flesh-mask, complete with badly fitting wig. that is always going to weird some people out. like corpse revulsion - it's not all moaning about quality or attractiveness, its complaining about the feeling they elicit. it is just unfortunate that solasta devs managed to make part of their game a psychological uncanny-valley revulsion simulator for a large subset of people.

i thought it was particularly funny since there are bits where people are like "oh no, Soraks can shapechange and look like anyone; they are master infiltrators!" and i look round at the models and im laughing because they're all look like poorly shapeshifted soraks pretending to be human.

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 27/07/21 07:45 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Veilburner
Eh don't really care how attractive someone is. Just don't want someone who looks deformed.

Male BG3 elf says hiii!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Seraphael; 27/07/21 08:18 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Hey, don't diss Male Elf Head 4 - that's my go-to knock-off Kylo Ren look!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now in response to the OP, I think Solasta is a fun game, made with lots of heart and care. I think they did a great job on what they setout to do (a faithful 5E implementation) given their limitations, although some newbie mistakes in design ultimately lead to some major flaws that stop the game from being an instant classic.

I'm not going really talk about things that are heavily restrained by budget and licensing because that's pretty unfair to TA. Solasta graphics have issues, but these things really isn't the focus and scope of a game like that. What I'd like to focus on are design choices (which games of any budget should be able to implement on some level).

For the below notes, I've played the game twice since release - once at core difficulty with deadly AI, and then at Cataclysm difficulty with everything turned to the max. I have not had a chance to play the new Sorcerer class yet.

Good Design Choices in Solasta:

• Fantastic looting system with a nice in-universe explanation
  • A great fast travel implementation that isn't immersion breaking (emulates sped-up walking)
  • The overworld travel gives the world a sense of scale and size and is very immersive. Also makes room for hypothetical high level travelling spells (i.e. Wind Walk)
  • Actions and Spell Casting UI flows very naturally and is very easy to understand
  • Very nice, in-depth implementation of the rules - all the core systems are accounted for. Love the implementation of little details like the cover system, ritual casting, the attunement system (properly integrated into short rests), etc. My only complaint is not having readied action leveled spells. Even if Larian is going to house rule certain things (which I'm okay with), missing entire systems - like Reaction / Readied Actions is a problem IMO.
  • The grid system, although a little ugly, works great from a tactical standpoint. We also know from games like Wasteland 3 that a grid system can be pretty.
  • Love the out-of-game character builder where you can test and play around with characters without needing to go into the game

Poor Design Choices in Solasta:

• The inventory UI isn't great. The need to press "Alt" to expand for information is senseless. Their crafting menu is actually worst (e.g. tons of new players on Reddit had no idea they could see the attributes of craftable items)
  • Poor balancing of character power, magical items, and stacking effects - in particular AC. Without trying, you can have characters with 30 AC (before Shield Spell), leading to basically immortality (even on Cataclysm difficulty)
  • The game mechanic / challenge stops evolving about 50% in. After a certain undead boss in a castle, enemy variety and abilities completely stalls - you basically fight and do the same thing for the rest of the game combat wise. This becomes tedious when combined with character OPness
  • The combat finally completely breaks down in the Endgame due to changes in long rest design, and the above 2 points (Character OPness and redundant monster mechanics) - see spoiler for details

Without spoiling too much, essentially the game tries to introduce challenge in the end by make resting locations very uncertain in the end areas. The problem with this is, because your characters are so OP already, and enemies tactics remain very limited (i.e. mostly target AC), you are incentivized to be extremely boring and conservative - just spam mostly auto attack and cantrips (and you'll win just fine). It's a bit better on a 2nd playthrough thanks to meta knowledge, but the easiness of the game pushes it towards tedium.
  • Given the limited budget, they really needed to apply the philosophy of "Less is More" to a few things. The story, in particular the end sequence, is pretty unremarkable. Wished they kept it simple and succinct. Similarly, the backtracking side-quests was bloat that did not contribute much IMO.

Overall, it's still a fantastic job for a first effort, and shows a ton of promise. I can't wait to see what TA does next.

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
ZZZZZ.
What a rude answer and I dont give a shit about your opinions either at least not in this thread reagarding Solasta.

Originally Posted by Topgoon
Now in response to the OP, I think Solasta is a fun game, made with lots of heart and care. I think they did a great job on what they setout to do (a faithful 5E implementation) given their limitations, although some newbie mistakes in design ultimately lead to some major flaws that stop the game from being an instant classic.

I'For the below notes, I've played the game twice since release - once at core difficulty with deadly AI, and then at Cataclysm difficulty with everything turned to the max. I have not had a chance to play the new Sorcerer class yet.
Overall, it's still a fantastic job for a first effort, and shows a ton of promise. I can't wait to see what TA does next.
Well then you like it much more then me or have more patience for games then me.

I intend to play MAXIMUM one time through Solasta main campaing. A Solasta expansion or communitry created adentures I might try play though.
I never finished DOS2. My brother played through DOS2 once. I played through Pillars of Eternity 1 once. My brother did not finish play through Pillars of Eternity 1.

We intend to play BG3 together me and my brother at least eventually when full release is done because my brother does not want to play games in ALPHA state.

Regarding Tv series I have seen once Game of Thrones one of the most overated fantasy TV series and I rate it 8/10 and never again want to see it.
Yet I have seen 3 times realistic TV serie that I bought (not from Netflix bought the TV series Online) The Last Ship that I rate 9/10.

This Solasta campaign is slow going. I am now level 3 and soon level 4 and I have finished the first 2 MAJOR missions by the Council.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/07/21 12:50 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
ZZZZZ.
What a rude answer and I dont give a shit about your opinions either at least not in this thread reagarding Solasta.
Yeah, well. it's your prerogative to give shit about whatever you want, but at least my answers STICK to the topic at hand.

They don't go on on endless rambling tangents about what kind of attractive people I'd like to see in gaming and fiction, how undressed they are supposed to be to titillate my kinks, how much I'm into martial arts and all that sort of irrelevant and occasionally fairly creepy stuff.

Last edited by Tuco; 28/07/21 12:46 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
ZZZZZ.
Yeah, well. it's your prerogative to give shit about whatever you want, but at least my answers STICK to the topic at hand.

They don't go on on endless rambling tangents about what kind of attractive people I'd like to see in gaming and fiction, how undressed they are supposed to be to titillate my kinks, how much I'm into martial arts and all that sort of irrelevant and occasionally fairly creepy stuff.
Yes and I know you do not like BG3 for sure despite on Steam people have voted BG3 to 9/10 though true BG3 is still in ALPHA and release date I guess is later 2022 or during year 2023 for BG3 full release. Funny I am sure my brother will like BG3 after all he did like DOS2 was very much indeed and he said DOS2 did have ok/good graphics.

Oh and me and brother have also played pen and paper DnD many times and played a lots of games together. That does not mean we are hardcore DnD 5th rules fans though I have made fun of the fact that food heals in BG3 which I found more funny then annoying.
Well Solasta does not have so you can play with other people but then again I know my brother would not like Solasta grpahics grin

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/07/21 01:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yes and I know you do not like BG3 for sure. Funny I am sure my brother will like BG3 after all he did like DOS2 was very much indeed and he said it did have ok/good graphics.

Oh and me and brother have also played pen and papere DnD many times and played a lots of games together.
Well Solasta does not have so you can play with other people but then again I know my brother would not like Solasta grpahics grin
Well, aside for the fact that you are comically wrong with the entire premise (if I didn't see potential/care for BG3 I wouldn't be here discussing it for months), you are doing it again: you are going off on a completely unrelated tangent.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Yes and I know you do not like BG3 for sure. Funny I am sure my brother will like BG3 after all he did like DOS2 was very much indeed and he said it did have ok/good graphics.

Oh and me and brother have also played pen and papere DnD many times and played a lots of games together.
Well, aside for the fact that you are comically wrong with the entire premise (if I didn't see potential/care for BG3 I wouldn't be here discussing it for months), you are doing it again: you are going off on a completely unrelated tangent.
Another funny thing now you have gone many times offtopic yourself. You ramble about my taste and do not talk about Solasta or BG3. Well and martial arts was a bit offtopic, yes but it was in line to get Monk class martial arts moves ok. The other thing I can not talk about got enough warnings guess some adults only content is forbidden. However yes I made clear what I want.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/07/21 01:18 PM.
Banned
Banned
People here are adept at going full stream of consciousness.

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Solasta situation...

+ If we forget the main characters look shit then some of the environment looks good.
+ It was nice to become level 4 and finally get stats up specially since I rolled and have some uneven points. Interesting though you
can not raise above 20 a stat.
+Well a bit more challenge not so super easy fights.
Neutral. The sidequests are annoying or seems have bugs at least I managed one sidequest so far. I will not tell what sidequest but i got 500 exp from that sidequest.
Negative
- Go back to some old area and find something boring and then you go and do not find anything about the sidequest.
- Shit ugly characters.
- I do not understand bug.. I can use Cleric powers but never can use Turn Undead?
- I have still not managed to craft anything really not that I have been motivated... why would I like some shortsword when I do not use that weapon?
My vote: 6.75/10

How can I do ok with I use real DnD rules in fight aka enemies does 100% damage and criticals and I do not use any magical items or crafting ?! Well and I roll hitpoints so absolutely NOT maximum hitpoints.
Cleric Sylvan Elf War domain level 4:
STR: 14
CON: 18
DEX: 20
WIS: 18
INT: 8
CHA: 11

Paladin Halfelf Protector Oath Of The Motherland level 4:
STR: 20
DEX: 15
CON: 18
WIS: 16
INT: 11
CHA: 18

Ranger Sylvan Elf Hunter (favored enemy first chosen Undeads) level 4:
STR: 16
DEX: 20
CON: 19
WIS: 18
INT: 9
CHA: 15

Wizard Human Shock Arcanist level 4:
STR: 11
DEX: 17
CON: 20
WIS: 17
INT: 20
CHA: 9
Well and why so many uneven? I rolled all stats and not rolled like ultra many time and then Human race.
The Wixard has oddly low life background so can disarm some traps.
I havent given a shit about the annoying crafting. Ok I have one magical item, but that is the mandatory quest item.

Yes I am sure it is possible to roll much better but that was a patience issue. This is like low powergaming from me lol.
Paladin is the TANK the melee person.
Well and yes I call it TANK after playing World of Warcraft MMO for more the 3 years lol.

Would I have same kind of builds in BG3? First of all same kinds fo builds not possible. BG3 Alpha does not have Cleric War Domain as in Solasta. Solasta does not have any Druid Class.

Well and then neither game has currently Monk or Barbarian for example. I have not decided my BG3 party at full release even if it would be allowed to create all characters and all classes from PHb available and then my brother will play one character and he creates his own character but my brother probably wants to play I guess:
Druid, Sorceror or Wizard I would guess on the other hand in GURPS rolelplaying pen and Paper my brother created to my surprise a Barbarian.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/07/21 07:06 PM.
addict
addict
Speaking of which.
Pathfinder: WoTr, September 2 releases! Page up on GOG. SO freaking ecxited for that game.
Hope it does amazing so Larian can comes to realizes some of the extra stuff MANY players want like more playable INTERESTING NPCs, day/night/weather, bigger party, revamped NO FREAKIN CHAINS CONSOLE UI, tons of UNIQUE classes/mythic paths etc...for BG3.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 30/07/21 08:55 AM.
veteran
veteran
Surprised that WoTR is $50! Seems a bit high to me. BG3 is $60, and it has cinematic dialogue and full VO.

Last edited by Icelyn; 30/07/21 12:38 PM.
veteran
veteran
i feel like i should post this if we're going to talk about how "expensive" WoTR is

https://techraptor.net/gaming/features/cost-of-gaming-since-1970s

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Surprised that WoTR is $50! Seems a bit high to me. BG3 is $60, and it has cinematic dialogue and full VO.
I'm not sure how the two things even begin to relate.
WoTR is a freaking massive game, anyway. With loads of improvements over the first one, too.

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I'm not sure how the two things even begin to relate.
WoTR is a freaking massive game, anyway. With loads of improvements over the first one, too.
I dont care so much for it. Why would I buy it when I could not even finish first Pathfinder game got bored on it and to sandbox game for me.

Solasta was overpriced at lol little more then 30 euro...

If I buy Pathfinder 2 I can wait with price goes down and by then there are lots of professional reviews.

Well and then both Solasta and Pathfinder does not have any multiplayer which sucks can not play them with my brother or a friend. Regarding BG3 my brother has told he does not want to play in in ALPHA but when full release has come he wants to play BG3 with me.

Solasta? Slow going dislike that it has lots of puzzles took me a long time to figure out puzzle to get first gem item. I am level 5 now in Solasta.

Solasta bugs:
A. I play with max settings FULL HD resolution. Game has crashed sometimes so need to restart it.
B. Afer gotting first gem in the Castle...I encountered a bug could not proceed. I then tried to find info on Internet and got info if you did not try enter through main gate to inner areas in Castle you can get stuck and get no more quests. Well so what I did after already got gem I went to main entrance place. Killed the enemies that appeared. Went inside Castle again then suddenly Solasta game gave me info I have new quest to get the second gem. That solved the issue to get next main quest.
C. Some minor other bugs but B bug got me almost quit the whole game.

Solasta tries to cover up they have super linear and very little world by this:
A. Almost in every main quest there is some annoying puzzle or to figure out how to proceed.
B. Constant terrain issues...
C. Challenge while generally to easy on Dnd tabletop challenge the Aksha Vampire Queen was enough challenging and I had really to start using best items to win that fight I mean flaming arrows and much at had to try really many times that battle. In the last room I choose diplomacy and no fight.
D. Random encounters on World Map but generally they are to easy specially after your are not very low level 1-3 anymore.
Solasta is not a AAA game for sure.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 30/07/21 02:52 PM.
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Speaking of which.
Pathfinder: WoTr, September 2 releases! Page up on GOG. SO freaking ecxited for that game.
Hope it does amazing so Larian can comes to realizes some of the extra stuff MANY players want like more playable INTERESTING NPCs, day/night/weather, bigger party, revamped NO FREAKIN CHAINS CONSOLE UI, tons of UNIQUE classes/mythic paths etc...for BG3.
I' wouldn't be surprised if it got delayed. Latest patch release for WoTR was super buggy, and if it doesn't get delayed ... then godspeed to the developers.

veteran
veteran
$50 is pretty inexpensive for WoTR. $50 for 50+ (probably closer to 70+) hours of excellent content on just a single playthrough is well worth it!

I'm excited to finally be able to play it! I hope it comes out Sept 2, but Owlcat should really take the time needed to release the game in a good state. P:Km suffered a lot because of its buggy release..

veteran
veteran
I thought we already had a post weeks ago about the P:WotR release date and availability on both Steam and GOG.

They have also already announced 3 DLCs eventually for the game: one that adds story content within the existing game, one that adds story content after the end of the main game, and one that adds a standalone rogue-like dungeon experience.

Also see this Dev Diary #4 from a couple of days ago:

Yeah, super-excited for this game!!! smile

Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard