Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
This is why we need level 5 in the EA - it troubles me that we may be stuck with levels 1-4 and not be able to test any new level-based class features in the EA. As so many have noted, level 5 is a major power jump in 5E, and it really should be tested. It seems clear that the Underdark is meant for 5th level characters too - so hope level 5 will make its way in with some future patch.

U
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
U
For the record I did request in some feedback after temporarily uninstalling that level 5 would be a top priority for me.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sharet
Originally Posted by Sigi98
great summary... I hope this gets fixed. How is the player supposed to feel significant and heroic when a random gith fighter level 5 has stats like they are at least 10 levels higher... And the HP bloat is troubling for many reasons that have been discussed numerously in this forum.

I mean, they should get fixed but I will disagree with your statement that the player is supposed to feel significant and heroic. This is the end goal, of course, but it's a journey. If the game put you in a place where you feel confident to beat any enemy since the (relative) start well, there isn't much left for the "hero journey" :P A good ass beat is an amazing propellant for greatness laugh

But yes, I agree the game should beat my ass with consistent enemies. If you want me to face a level 10 fighter don't call it a level 5 (even if I don't like knowing the level of my enemy in a d&d game :P)
The ability scores are more about consistency of the game world. Adventurers compared to "ordinary" commoners and farmers of the world should have generally higher stats. They are individuals with exceptional potential but at lower levels they are of course not yet heroic, just aspiring.

Seeing some random cannon fodder NPC with way higher ability scores than your PC has just doesn't feel great, nor does it support the logic of your PC being somewhat special compared to some random soldier.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
These are not random fighters, these are githyanki. It's totally logical that they would be crazy strong. Consider that Lae'zel at the start of the game is a rookie trainee who hasn't accomplished her rite of passage into adulthood yet (you do that by bringing back a mind flayer's head). These, by comparison, are supposed to be seasoned warriors. Even experienced adventurers who are familiar with their kind would be tempted to turn and run.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by booboo
This is why we need level 5 in the EA - it troubles me that we may be stuck with levels 1-4 and not be able to test any new level-based class features in the EA. As so many have noted, level 5 is a major power jump in 5E, and it really should be tested
Arguably , THE biggest power jump in the entire progression curve, proportionally.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by agouzov
These are not random fighters, these are githyanki. It's totally logical that they would be crazy strong. Consider that Lae'zel at the start of the game is a rookie trainee who hasn't accomplished her rite of passage into adulthood yet (you do that by bringing back a mind flayer's head). These, by comparison, are supposed to be seasoned warriors. Even experienced adventurers who are familiar with their kind would be tempted to turn and run.
Seasoned warrior means higher experience level, not absurdly high ability scores that break consistency.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Seasoned warrior means higher experience level, not absurdly high ability scores that break consistency.

You have a point about level. On the latter point, I assume that gith with average stats simply aren't allowed to survive into adulthood. Creches aren't just places to rear up hatchlings, they're death factories for weaning off the weak. Again, these are people who have to behead a mind flayer to be considered adults.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by agouzov
Originally Posted by 1varangian

You have a point about level. On the latter point, I assume that gith with average stats simply aren't allowed to survive into adulthood. Creches aren't just places to rear up hatchlings, they're death factories for weaning off the weak. Again, these are people who have to behead a mind flayer to be considered adults.
Here's a quick snap from D&D.

https://imgur.com/a/A3vvx7T

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
You have me.

Obviously Larian bumped up the stats just as they bumped goblins' hit points and gnolls' number of attacks per turn. I'm just a bit more willing than you to accept their stats as plausible considering the lore of the setting.

On the other hand, consider that a Githyanki Gish is supposed to be a challenge rating 10 enemy capable of casting 4th level spells, but they used a weaker version for this encounter.

Last edited by agouzov; 28/07/21 03:54 PM.
addict
addict
i just go to the swamp water well take the hp buff cast Aid spell. With those two it's easy because you need that hp buffer.

After you survive a failed initiative rolls with all that Hp you just smack them around.

Without those two buffs it can happen that you will lose one guy to the burst damage. Pets can help with that as well, if positioned correctly. The key is to have one guy in threat range of the crossbow guy at all times pets work as well.
The only thing they have going for them is the 2 attacks.. After one dies the fight it pretty much over can be done without consumables and dips.

Of course you can just ignore that rule and use pots and scrolls, poison, skip the cutsceen and just start the fight from stealth and preplaned location but that is just cheesy.

I think the more we complain about them the strong they make them xD

Managed to beat them. They use a lot of scrolls during the fight, misty step is the worse. He pushed me down once and got ganked by 3 of them. When he died I revived and brought him back up. Definitely can’t kill them from the ground although I managed to put in a critical hit cleave before they killed my shield dwarf. Got a few riposte as well. Managed to funnel them through the center by breaking all the ladders before the fight and filling the slope on the right with grease. Because of the AI where they avoid auras they all went for mid. Thinking back on it I should have covered the center with grease as well to CC them more properly. Or ice but having to freeze it back would have worked against me. I had a leftover haste spore I placed midfight to gain 2 actions per turn and extra movement.

It was hell but interesting. Their extra action per turn definitely is rough. Once they wasted enough scrolls they become much easier to beat.

Last edited by Kryldost; 01/08/21 05:17 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kryldost
Managed to beat them. They use a lot of scrolls during the fight, misty step is the worse.
Im affraid that is not a scroll ...
Githyanki gets one misty step per day as racial ... as far as i know.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Githyanki get jump and mage hand. Is misty step at level 5?

veteran
veteran

Ahh, once isn’t so bad. Dangerous not not too bad lol. In that case fog/darkness becomes a potent counter.

veteran
veteran
For a while ...
Until someone in Larian remembers, that they all also have invisible mage hands, that can shove with 100% sucess. >:] laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 01/08/21 07:34 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard