Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Kinda pointless and even potentially counter-productive when his death doesn't match with a "last breath" scenario (i.e. incinerated, exploded, etc).

My problem is not really that "There's no explanation for the hostility" as much as that "I'd like an option to be discreet about it".
It would be especially appreciated if it wasn't an obvious solution and creating the right circumstance would require a fair bit of scheming/setting up the ambush while interacting with other NPCs at the goblin camp.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Tuco
You can kill the drow without alerting the whole camp even without giving the location to her (or bedding her).

Good to know.

I tried killing Gut in her study just off the main chamber, she alerts the entire base with a "Call for Help", without any apparent need for the enemy to make perception checks. After that and seeing how many enemies were near the Drow, and the alarm drum, and the opening to other guards by the Worg pen, I naturally assumed the fight would be loud and alert everyone.
It's actually stealthier to kill her in the main chamber, which is crazy.
you break the drums the goblins use to alert each other, and Gut never does her call for help.

The part I'm annoyed by is that it's easiest to take out all three by never talking to them.
Don't talk to Gut, hold the high ground and rain terror on the goblins below. Don't talk to Minthara, use the high ground in the room and have 1 character aggro her towards your party. Don't talk to Dror... aggro him from the unlocked door and use the same high ground that killed Minthara.

Talking to them usually gives you the poorest position at the start of combat. I really feel the player should get a surprise attack at least when choosing to "attack" Dror, etc.

addict
addict
I find murderising the entire camp outside tends to resolve that problem - I do try not to take this approach sometimes (disguise self as drow seems quite handy) ...but it is quite satisfying

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I wonder how would you people feel if Larian decides to "fix" this by adding short cutscene, where Narrator tells us something like:
With his last breath, Ragzlin used his tadpole to send mental message to everyone in camp: "Kill the intruders!" with our image.

It seems like kinda elegant, and also lazy solution. laugh

I was thinking of something similar. Rather than using telepathic powers, the goblin no longer feels the presence of their leader and know he is dead.

old hand
old hand
This thread reminded me of something hilarious my tabletop group pulled off about a year ago.

During this particular campaign, we ended up going into a Dwarven fortress built into the side of a mountain that was occupied by goblins. One of the major mechanics of the area is that if you spent too long in the area and the goblins were aware that you were somewhere in there, the goblin boss and his lieutenants would prepare to face the party personally. If you long rested, they would be waiting for you, changing the environment to their favor in the meantime.

My party managed to best them, and someone came up with the idea of cutting off the goblin leader's head and carrying it around with us to intimidate all of the other goblins we ran across. It had hilariously predictable effects, all of the goblins fled in terror for the rest of the dungeon. (It didn't work on the Duergar on the next floor though.)

M
M
On my last playthrough I sneaked up to a hill at the edge of the camp using the forced turn based function and shoved one of the scout goblins to his death with my main char (i separated him from the others who were at another location entirely), with no witnesses, succeeded with sneaking roll and all but the whole camp still turned to hostile. Reloaded and tried it several times but every time whole camp was turning to hostile.

It felt disappointing because i was able to spot a good opportunity (there is one point when none of the vision cones reach him and he is standing next to a pit basically). Not sure if its intended or just a bug.

veteran
veteran
So the majority of the Shattered Sanctum can be handled in pieces.

1. Priestess Gut can be isolated and killed
2. Minthara can be killed with her little team
3. Halsin can be freed and all those goblins killed without alerting as long as the kids don't escape.
4. The torturers can be killed without alerting.
5. The Goblins near the Mugubliyet prisoner can be killed without alerting.

That just leaves Dror Razlin as the big fight that turns all Goblins hostile. You have a lot of resources to help you get through this fight and ways to approach it. Its a long fight but not a particularly difficult one.
1. Coal filled braziers sitting over the main throne area that can be shot down (in turn based mode/or multiplayer you can do more than one)
2. Wooden Beams over the battlefield where you can place a sniper/bomb thrower.
3. Lots of pillars to hide behind and take shots at people to force enemies to come to you without you being exposed.
4. Finally, the actual enemies are quite weak. Only Dror Razlin and a couple of bosses have any real health.

If you handle the battle carefully and draw the goblins back into the room without chasing them you can rest before having to Mop up the remaining Goblins.

An alternate way to handle this is to Get Minthara and her troops to attack the Druid grove (then betray her and kill them all with help from the grove) and that will deplete a lot of the goblins in the shattered sanctum, making it easier to kill everyone later.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
I don't think many were arguing the difficulty of the battle, honestly.

If I position well enough I could probably pull and manage the entire goblin camp in one single fight, but once again that's not the point.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
"I'd like an option to be discreet about it".
It would be especially appreciated if it wasn't an obvious solution and creating the right circumstance would require a fair bit of scheming/setting up the ambush while interacting with other NPCs at the goblin camp.
Agreed ...
I would prefer that too ... i was just thinking about some alternative, if "discreet way" wasnt used. smile
But yes, possibility of stealth kill would be appreciated, certainly.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
C
stranger
stranger
C
you don't need to do all that if you attack the drow at her table with the 2 goblin bosses and don't let them get in view of the other goblins you can kill them with out turning the rest of the goblins hostile.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
The trick to Dror is to kill him, then go get treasure from the back, then long rest (halsin goes to camp when you long rest after the 3 leaders are dead), then just fast travel out. Yes, the goblins are all hostile. No, you don't have to fight them.

D&D logic smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard