Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
I'm not sure how the two things even begin to relate.
WoTR is a freaking massive game, anyway. With loads of improvements over the first one, too.
They relate in that if done well they add a lot to the cost of making the game, which is why AAA games cost more to buy. Often games that aren’t AAA are $30 or $40 (or less if a very small game).

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I'm not sure how the two things even begin to relate.
WoTR is a freaking massive game, anyway. With loads of improvements over the first one, too.
They relate in that if done well they add a lot to the cost of making the game, which is why AAA games cost more to buy. Often games that aren’t AAA are $30 or $40 (or less if a very small game).
Yes Solata is not AAA game not even 8/10 for sure. However Pathifinder 2 I think I wait it goes down in price or some discount time.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 30/07/21 03:49 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
I dont care so much for it. Why would I buy it when I could not even finish first Pathfinder game
I don't give a shit, buy whatever you want. That's just your problem and once again that has nothing to do with what I said.

I didn't ask you to write me another review of a game you didn't play, I commented of what some other user said about its price.

Originally Posted by Icelyn
They don't related because that's not and it was never how prices are set, in general.

WoTR is going to be an enormous, extremely ambitious story-driven CRPG with a scandalous amount of content and with very high production value for the standards of the genre.
The price is perfectly in line with the market expectations.

In fact it's probably going to outsell its (similarly priced) predecessor by a significant margin.

Last edited by Tuco; 30/07/21 03:55 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
I dont care so much for it. Why would I buy it when I could not even finish first Pathfinder game
I don't give a shit, that's just your problem and once again that has nothing to do with what I said.

I didn't ask you to write me another review of a game you didn't play, I commented of what some other user said about its price.
I can not recall I have rated Pathfinder 2 and given it a score. I said I wait for reviews and that goes down in price.
I sure will edit my score on OP after playing through Solasta.

You yourself have not shown any interest in a possible future Dnd MMO despite not playing such games as Neverwinter MMO game as I have played for more then a year. I am not all over eager for Pathfinder 2 after the Pathfinder 1 experience,

I likewise do nt give a shit about what games you are super excited about based on your comments only. I can wait for full reviews of games lets see how Pathfinder 2 is rated after full release from professionals and not some fan.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 30/07/21 04:07 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I thought we already had a post weeks ago about the P:WotR release date and availability on both Steam and GOG.

They have also already announced 3 DLCs eventually for the game: one that adds story content within the existing game, one that adds story content after the end of the main game, and one that adds a standalone rogue-like dungeon experience.

Also see this Dev Diary #4 from a couple of days ago:

Yeah, super-excited for this game!!! smile
Am I seeing this correctly, that in WotR - unlike in P:Km - you can ROTATE THE CAMERA?!??! We're really entering 21st century gaming here, folks.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 30/07/21 05:59 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Am I seeing this correctly, that in WotR - unlike in P:Km - you can ROTATE THE CAMERA?!??! We're really entering 21st century gaming here, folks.
Yeah, this was confirmed something like two or three years ago when they did the Kickstarter for the sequel.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I thought we already had a post weeks ago about the P:WotR release date and availability on both Steam and GOG.

They have also already announced 3 DLCs eventually for the game: one that adds story content within the existing game, one that adds story content after the end of the main game, and one that adds a standalone rogue-like dungeon experience.

Also see this Dev Diary #4 from a couple of days ago:

Yeah, super-excited for this game!!! smile

No camera rotate? Thats really old news lol, and literally the first things they changed for the new game. And you know what, you get a bazillion classes, mythic paths, 6 party members, a VARIED INTERESTING LOT of playable NPCs, a great UI system, day/night cycles, huge dialogue trees...Stuff BG3 and Solasta dont even do. All that for the current 50/60h campaign (getting longer still) for 50$ is a steal compared to what you AAA get nowdays.
And its the perfect little brother to BG3, which needs a good kick in the rear to get going. wink

If I want to read and experience a good cinematic <choose your adventure> story book, go to BG3.
Or loose myself into a big world with its characters and do my thing with my party and hero, WoTr smile

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 30/07/21 10:09 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
All that for the current 50/60h campaign (getting longer still) for 50$ is a steal compared to what you AAA get nowdays.
After Kingmaker that gametime doesn’t inspire confidence in me. Still, I quietly hope that WotR’s campaign won’t be such a chore. I will boot it up once its somewhat patched up.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Wormerine
After Kingmaker that gametime doesn’t inspire confidence in me. Still, I quietly hope that WotR’s campaign won’t be such a chore. I will boot it up once its somewhat patched up.

Let's be perfectly honest with ourselves, Kingmaker was only as long as it was due to all the kingdom management downtime. I wager that about half of our playtime was spent sorting that out rather than actually adventuring.

WotR has nothing like that, the actual management stuff this time around happens alongside adventuring, and it's more of a minigame rather than something that the entire game revolves around. One of the later chapters even cuts off your access to the management stuff for highly spoilerific reasons.

I'd wager that if you cut off Kingmaker's management stuff, it'd actually turn out to be a shorter game than WotR.

These days, I'm a lot more hyped for WotR than BG3. Even though I tend to favor turn-based combat more than RTwP, I am a much bigger fan of well-crafted narratives that don't confuse good writing with being overly verbose, being complicated for the sake of being complicated, and story beats highly reliant on shock value more than anything else. The WotR cast of party members is quite possibly the best set of companions I've ever seen in any game to date, probably because there's so much party banter that you'll get to watch the entire cast reinforce their personality and beliefs against each other in very subtle and indirect ways. It gives off the impression that the whole party develops as a group throughout the entire game, instead of the characters feeling detached from each other like in most other cRPGs.

At the moment, only Shadowheart is anywhere close to the level of the WotR companions, and she won't get all the way there if the other BG3 companions don't receive a similar level of focus and care. And I will still vehemently argue that the BG3 companions won't reach a similar level of praise outside of memes and fanart if Larian insists on staying true to the highly implied 'everyone not in your active party dies after Act 1' course.

That's not to say that you shouldn't be allowed to face consequences that may result in losing party members - WotR can have plenty of that (there's even one choice right in the prologue that results in this, and there's no perfect outcome to that that will allow you to please both parties). But that is completely due to player choice, and not some arbitrary headcount limit at the end of the day. Which is what many people are fearing in BG3, seeing how DOS:2 handled it.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 31/07/21 09:58 AM.
T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Yeah right about Pathfinder this video is 3 month old... but he has not posted newer video saying about Pathfinder.

Well I agree with him what he said about Pathfinder 2 despite played Dnd 3.5 Pen and Paper.

I looked at Pathfinder rules book.
First of all i do not like the concept art at all from Pathfinder rules book.

Well and not super fan of Pathfinder rules that are more complicated then Dnd 3.5 rules.
Dexterity do not give ranged damage boost as in Dnd 5th editon and BG3 and Solasta. This is the tip of the iceberg,

I agree with him that Pathfinder rules are a bit overwhelming. Perhaps not EVE Online learning curve, but he said in video he really hopes they
add introduction to Pathfinder which was not there 3 months ago and that he felt game was a bit overwhelming means complicated rules specially if you try max powerplay.

I am not super excited indeed about Pathfinder 2. Will certainly wait for professional reviews instead of listening to fan boys. I did play Pathfinder 1 and I rate that 6/10 which is average (and never finished playing through it lost interest), but it had issues like could not move camera like in Pathfinder 2.

Well and he mentions in the video 3 months ago that there is supposed to come much more voiceacting when it comes out in Pathfinder. Right lets see if that really happens and to what degree and I wonder if they will actually do a real tutorial to the game.

I would never recommend Pathfinder to a person that does not have any experience from pen and paper or computer Dungeons Dragons rules at least some version if not pathfinder rules.

BG3 probably can be played by someone that has played DOS2 and does not know almost nothing about Dnd rules and what they need to know likely they learn fairly soon except camera control in BG3 is quite akward.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 31/07/21 09:23 AM.
old hand
old hand
I am not really sure exactly what your posts are really directed to, but I should mention that it's funny you bring up how BG3 can be played by someone that has played DOS2 as if it's supposed to be a positive thing. Because a few months ago, one of the biggest criticisms of BG3 was that having experience playing DOS2 would help you in BG3 more than actually knowing how to play DnD.

Maybe there's still some truth to it now, but at least Larian is trying to tone down the DOS2 influence in this game, for good reason. Honestly, all they have to do now is not pursue the 'all companions not in your active party at the end of act 1 die' sthick again. Because people never gave Larian enough shit for that, even less people have enough foresight to realize that it's an indirect reason why the original DOS2 Act 4 fell on its face so hard that the Definitive Edition was almost entirely dedicated to fixing it up (since so much of the impact of the various villain arcs being resolved in that chapter was largely tied to having specific party members with you), and any other developer pulling off something similar would have been plastered to the walls long ago.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 31/07/21 09:50 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Let's be perfectly honest with ourselves, Kingmaker was only as long as it was due to all the kingdom management downtime. I wager that about half of our playtime was spent sorting that out rather than actually adventuring.

WotR has nothing like that, the actual management stuff this time around happens alongside adventuring, and it's more of a minigame rather than something that the entire game revolves around. One of the later chapters even cuts off your access to the management stuff for highly spoilerific reasons.

I'd wager that if you cut off Kingmaker's management stuff, it'd actually turn out to be a shorter game than WotR.
That's good to hear. I think Kingmaker had padding problem beyond kingdom management, but it seems a common problem of first entrys in Baldur's Gate wannabes. While I strongly disliked Kingmaker, I have a lot of fondness for Owlcat themselves, and remain hopeful for the sequel. From what I am hearing about betas, it's probably not great idea to jump day1 - especially someone like me not versed well enough in the system to differenciate between convoluted rules and bugs.

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
I am not really sure exactly what your posts are really directed to, but I should mention that it's funny you bring up how BG3 can be played by someone that has played DOS2 as if it's supposed to be a positive thing. Because a few months ago, one of the biggest criticisms of BG3 was that having experience playing DOS2 would help you in BG3 more than actually knowing how to play DnD.
Same graphics and casually to DnD rules and not so strict by real Dnd rules. Well and actually that they have NOT and I do not believe there is even 1% chance Larian will include all subclasses to BG3 (though yes I do believe the will inlcude all base classes from PHB) that makes it easier actually for those who do not know Dnd if there are only 2 subclasess and 3 Cleric domains.

You should have seen Wolfheart video. He clearly said BG3 is easiest to get into from games BG3 , Solasta and Pathfinder 2 (I call it Pathfinder 2 since we already had a Patfhinder 1 game years ago).

Solasta has much more strict to Dnd rules and while it is true you can in settings disable much of the default setting I had not even checked out that before you told me that on forums. Solasta with all their freaking riddles to go forward in the main campaign or simple figure out how to continue and a major bug is not what I would call easy progress. Well add to that despite not playing it super much though figuring out some riddles have taking me long time I have had few times in Solasta when game crashes to desktop and I need to restart Solasta again.

Pathfinder 2 rules are more complicated then Dnd 5th edition. Dnd 4th edition was a mess though super complicated and the most unpopular version of DnD in history that removed lots of dice rolls that was brought back in DnD 5th edition. At same time DnD 5th edition was simplified made more easy from the unpopular DnD 4th edition rules.

Now could I easily create a character in Pathfinder 2? Absolutely I have played for years Dnd 3.5 but not Pathfinder. However to create an ELITE powergaming character that is super optimized and on top of that create a party that is ultra strong best among best that is not easy for me in Pathfinder 2. I am sure I could create a good lets say in power 8/10 party in Pathfinder 2. That said I am a proud powergamer (8/10 not good for me) and for me to create a 10/10 best of the best strong party in Pathfinder 2 that is not easy for me. When I say good I am not talking about roleplaying aspect no I am talking about how powerful party in combat and survival and better chances to win the game at highest difficulty level.

See the youtube video and learn thanks. The only thing annoying in BG3 is the Camera control that is akward.

By the way the fan Tuco. In that video Wolfhearth critices the fast travel system in Pathfinder 2 and says he does not really like it (though he does not say he hates it). Funny when he said I remembered one additional thing I disliked in Pathfinder 1 Kingmaker that I rate 6.5/10 and yes I have played it. Now I do believe Pathfinder 2 is better then Pathfinder 1. For example they have now better Camera system in Pathfinder 2. In addition those developers have now more experience.

Well and regarding Nevewinter MMO that I rate 7.5/10
+ You can play it totally for free. I did and still got the best mount available when I played. I have not payed a single euro for this.
+ Action combat worked well. You do not need super reactions if you are normal (no disrespect to handicapped people meant) you should be able to play this. It is not super fast paced that some other Action MMO:S might be.
+ Voluntary PvP in battlegrounds and scaled so if you win much you will meet harder opponents. If you loose much you will meet easier opponents.
If you do not like PvP you will never have to fight PvP. PvP is always voluntary.
+ Forgotten Realms DnD 4th edition
+ Challenging PvE Dungeons meant for a team of 5 players. However what is interesting you can try these with less big group. You think one Dungeon is sligthly to easy? Try it then with group of 4 players instead of 5 players.
+ Community created PvE adventures instances one can play them also. Players can create adventures if they want for other players to play.
+ True multiplayer and your are not restricted to play with a friend group of maximum 4 players. This is a MMO. Both PvE And PVP is cooperative. It is team vs team in PvP. PvP has also bigger battlegrounds 20 players vs 20 players and so on.
Neutral: Mediocre graphics.
- TIME SINK. I am not motivated more to play 40+ hours /week a game.
- Pay to win either you pay money to get more powerful or play extremely much this game to keep up. Microtransactiona are absolutely not some silly cosmetic only and you can literally buy to become more powerful.
- In order to become more powerful there is also GRIND of doing certain quests areas and so on. This part feels often to me more like grind then fun. I am not meaning exp no you can get certain rewards like boons and talents.
- Eventually I got bored on it like in WOW MMO.
My vote 7.5/10
and those developers first MMO;s were not good. The first major succes when they had more experience was the Neverwinter MMO that was a huge success. This also since it supports PC and the XBOX and Playstation.

The point being yes I believe Pathfinder 2 is better game then Pathfinder 1 Kingmaker. Now that they fixed the camera control to better in Pathfinder 2 perhaps I will like it much more. I am not anti Pathfinder 2.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 31/07/21 02:39 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Originally Posted by Veilburner
Eh don't really care how attractive someone is. Just don't want someone who looks deformed.

Male BG3 elf says hiii!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LoL but so true.

S
S
Solasta is much superior game than BG3 in terms of faithfulness to 5e rules even tho Solasta is not officially bound to DnD. Big kudos to Tactical Adventure team and shame on Larian team.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
There's something wrong with my version of Solasta and checking their boards I'm not the only one. My half-elf can still be magically put to sleep even though their supposed to be immune. Will wait for a fix.

old hand
old hand
Yeah, uh, WotR beta 3 has been kind of unstable. I was pretty confident in a relatively stable release before, but now, I'd say give it a couple weeks if you can afford to wait. Probably still going to be more stable than Kingmaker launch overall. What an interesting and simultaneously miserable experience that was.

-snip-

I watched the video long ago, and you are preaching to someone who has extensively played all three games at this point. Ease of understanding is irrelevant to me, and to most people on these forums, because most people here are already assumed to be experienced cRPG players who would much rather be focused on other things such as the writing and gameplay mechanics. I got into Kingmaker knowing little about DnD and Pathfinder long ago, and managed alright, and essentially implying that people are incapable of understanding new things as if it's some difficult unsurmountable task is a pretty pessimistic view of the gaming community as a whole. Especially when cRPGs are generally about discovering new things at the genre's core. You are also forgetting that what is considered accessible varies from person to person, unless we are suddenly acting as if all the people who bounced off of DOS2 towards the start due to the game not really explaining anything at all never existed.

Legitimately good writing is hard to pull off, and WotR has delivered for me in that regard in some rather unique ways, while it's too soon to see where BG3 will go with that and something no one can properly gauge until we are finally able to progress beyond act 1. That said, Solasta fails on that front, but the game was never trying to pass itself off as being great that department either. The same way that I don't really play WotR primarily for its combat, even if the actual character building can be damn fun because the stuff you can build for in that game straight up don't exist in other cRPGs.

But where would BG3 fall into either category? I don't know yet. I have been enjoying BG3 with the latest patch and can find little to complain about that likely won't be addressed in future patches, but I don't think BG3's companion writing and cast of characters is close to touching WotR, nor does the combat really match Solasta due to currently lacking crucial mechanics - though there are signs that the latter is going to be addressed soon. At the moment, it's really just production values that makes BG3 competitive, and I guess people who really like the current style over depth kind of writing and characterization that BG3's companions currently give off with the limited scope that we are allowed to see IMO. But it isn't necessarily bad either, being simply 'good' in both categories is still rather great, especially for those who never plan on playing the other two games for whatever reason. But for those who want to play all three, of course there's always going to be a feeling that something is off with a game that takes a middle of the road approach and doesn't particularly excel at what the other two excel the most at. Even if a better way of understanding it would be that while BG3's high points won't match the other two games at their best, the lowest likely won't touch the worst of those games either.

That said, there has always been an understanding that BG3 will be much more accessible due to a combination of AAA-level production value, brand power, and simpler mechanics. It will probably sell more than both Solasta and WotR combined for those reasons alone regardless of any other factors, and you're really the only person here arguing about it as if it's supposed to be a new revelation.

And I'm not going to even bother entertaining the rest of the bulk of your post, which amounts to little more than going after one specific poster and accusing them being a fanboy for being excited for another cRPG (when they've only replied to you once on the previous page, while you've basically directed three posts and counting at them in response).

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 31/07/21 10:35 PM.
addict
addict
bar some sort of catastrophe, the Beta and Kingmaker are enough to indicate that Wrath of the Righteous is going to be great. I'm sure it will be full of bugs on release but Kingmaker is one of the most ambitious cRPGs that exist and it really payed off for owlcat despite all the bugs, a testament to their ambition and vision for an isometric, mechanically deep, text-box driven RPG.

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
SNIP
It was payback from comments like "I dont care a shit" which is pretty rude and that poster had himself dismissed Neverwinter Nighs 1 as an Action game (when you can pause at any time in single player and also dismissed an idea of new MMO based on DnD despite not playing example Neverwinter MMO for over a year like me and on top of that have played WOW MMO for over 3 years, Age of Conan MMO for over 6 months etc.
Same poster has impressed me with some GURU comments in some other threads though.

Now about your post. I am sure Pathfinder 2 can be played and get into, You did not listen to me when said I want to powerplay and create a group that is 10/10 and play on highest challenge level in Pathfinder 2 and not some default challenge level.

I fully agree with posts saying BG3 was not enough close to real rules pre patch 5.
Here are major changes I like:
A. Food will no longer heal in BG3. You do need food for resting though.
B. Resting unlimited long rest has now its drawbacks but at same time short resting importance rise. This makes
also so one should consider if in some not so hard fights to preserve spells.
C. The Thief should not be a super strong S TIER class in DnD5th edtion. Now backstabbing does not give advantage rolls anymore.
Great balancing.
D. If you have dex based Thief.... you can not easily push more opponents. Strength is required. I like that and actually gives indication if you really want to be melee character perhaps Thief is not best option.
E. On internet people have complained about Cleric? Funny perhaps they dont know how to play a Cleric.
Now that food does not heal anymore in BG3 guess what suddenly a healer character is more useful though not saying Cleric
is some healbot. If you play properly Cleric it is better if you can kill enemies before they wound your party.

On Internet still some people say Thief is S Tier in BG3, but I do not agree specially after patch 5.

Here is on thing I dislike with both Solasta and Pathfinder 2. Fast travel map system!
BG3 has like areas you travel through. Ok there are teleport stones in bG3 but I understand that to save time and I use them myself when useful. In addition in BG3 you can not use teleport stones before you have discovered them.

World of Warcraft MMO one reason it was succes you can travel from area to area in level up and there is no loading screen. There are even flying mounts (but not accesible at very low levels). A seemingless world. I could play hours WOW MMO fully immersed never see a stupid fast travel map or loading screen (with expection of Dungeons, Raids and PvP battlegrounds which are instances no loading screen).

Last edited by Terminator2020; 01/08/21 04:16 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by sinogy
Solasta is much superior game than BG3 in terms of faithfulness to 5e rules even tho Solasta is not officially bound to DnD. Big kudos to Tactical Adventure team and shame on Larian team.

Yeah, it is a more conservative adaptation. Other than that, BG3 is going to be a far superior rpg. And I am not insulting the small developer team who created Solasta, I wish them the best and I hope they reap the rewards of their hard work.

Though, the thing I hope Larian will emulate Solasta in is the bonus spells for sorcerers (which is their own homebrew, though it appears with the Tasha subclasses).
Sorcerers really need more known spells and I hope Larian will see that and gives them that little perk.

Last edited by spacehamster95; 01/08/21 01:21 PM.
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard