Originally Posted by spacehamster95
Originally Posted by Grudgebearer
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
BG3 is going to be a far superior rpg.

You really believe so?

So far, I've seen little-to-nothing in EA, that lends me to believe that Larian's version of BG3 is going to be much more than a faux-choices-matter experience trying to hide a pedestrian story on rails that takes no real consideration as to how the protagonist actually 'roleplays' their character.

Wizards and Larian had a chance her to move the genre forward, and do more with a story than has previously been done, and we just have more set-piece combats interspersed with some tedious dialogue that is supposed to serve as character exposition, but has no significant effect on story events.

Their hellbent focus on multiplayer has ultimately gimped any real roleplay or sense of player agency through choice affecting the story.

I do think so. I don't really see the hell bent focus on multiplayer that you mentioned. It was def there with DOS and DOS 2, but I think this is a more single player rpg experience. For me, honestly the game gives such a powerful Dragon Age Origins vibes that I find it hard not to love it. I love the story so far, and I found myself caring about the npcs (loving or hating them). And EA already has a huge fanbase so I am hoping for a commercial success as well for Larian.

About the story choices, I think it is really hard to make that kind of judgement based on the strippet of the first story arc.

What I am a bit bothered by and hope Larian will remedy, is the issue of custom made heroes and origin heroes. I think Larian did make progress on that front, but I think they need to work on it a bit more. Like, maybe a background related quest line available only to custom heroes, to better place them in the world.

But I am curious to hear your issue as well, what was that story moment that was in your opinion so lackluster? Did you play Solasta? Because there I was deeply disappointed by the strength of the writing...
From what I have understood not only does not food anymore heal Larian have made companions slightly more friendly.

I have only one complaint myself regarding (not story that is ok) the companions in BG3 that right now there are not what I would call GOOD alignment companions. Shadowhearth? Well are you kidding me she is Evil God follower and wants you to murder Lazael.

Lazael on the other hand I get where she is coming from and I spared her life. Lazael is like a Viking does look down upon weak characters shows no mercy towads weakness in fact Gityanki can plunder those races that are weak. That said Githyanki are sworn enemies to Mindflyers that they hate as ex slaves to Mindflayers. Lazael is strong fighter and she admires strongness and Action.

Will? Almost suicidal and comes best as Neutral...

The only thing I feel BG3 lacks in companions is a real good alignment companion, but that is easy to fix could be fixed in Act 2 for example.

Solasta? That is ultra linear. It does not matter how you try to play it there is no way you can change the mainstory.In Solasta there is no deeper commitment then the so called factions in Solasta that only provide items, crafting recipes and so on. Well and those factions are not in open war and try to kill each other on sight.

BG3 story is so far fine from what I have seen of course whole plot is early to tell since we have only seen Early Access and Act 1.
What do you mean there are no roleplaying choices in BG3? There are lots of choices you can join with Goblins or with Thieflings for example.

You can basically go lets kill the Goblins or the opposite no Goblins are great lets kill the Thieflings in BG3 and that is one example of roleplaying. I can not confirm this from Act 1, but I susperct that you could go hardcore even on no I want to become a Mindflayer. The absolute and Mindflayers are correct that is the solution!

I was not sayng I would choose that last route specially, but I told what I believe will be possible in BG3.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 01/08/21 08:11 PM.