Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
veteran
veteran
+1

Just as the party control and movement mechanics in this game is bad, so is the camera control.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Solasta has announced Druids and Barbarian classes as part of their next DLC, just as an informational point, and previously announced they are working on adding 11th and 12th levels to existing classes.

Personally I found the game to be a slice of summer entertainment - though I truly hope they "buff up' the latter part of the game, where they clearly excised a number of main quests to make their announced launch date.

As is, the last 25% left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Anfindel
Solasta has announced Druids and Barbarian classes as part of their next DLC, just as an informational point, and previously announced they are working on adding 11th and 12th levels to existing classes.

Personally I found the game to be a slice of summer entertainment - though I truly hope they "buff up' the latter part of the game, where they clearly excised a number of main quests to make their announced launch date.

I agree, but with the caveat that I find the last 25% of MOST games to be a chore, including many that I really like. I guess I have a short attention span.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dwig
I agree, but with the caveat that I find the last 25% of MOST games to be a chore, including many that I really like. I guess I have a short attention span.
Nah, a significant (sometimes even DRASTIC) drop in quality in the final part of most games (especially long-ass CRPGs) is a very common phenomenon.

it can be for excessive repetition and lack of variety, poor difficulty balance, excessive railroading, because the budget was running thin at that point and the game shows...
I think that if anything it's harder to think about games that had particularly memorable final segments.
And as you said, this applies even to a lot of games I overall liked a lot.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Eh, frankly I am glad it rushed to the end - it didn't overstay it's welcome. With not particularly engaging story, I was on the border of getting bored, when the campaign started to wramp up.

I am not sure how I feel about selling classes as DLCs - in general I did think the release asking price was a bit steep for what the game had to offer, that said, as a low tier crowdfunding backer, I might be willing to pay some extra for additional classes, if I feel like replaying the game again.

D
addict
addict
D
The Solasta steam page has a teaser about Druid and Barbarian being added in an upcoming DLC. The teaser mentions "level 14 abilities" so the DLC may also be adding levels (and probably a follow-up story to the campaign).

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
The Solasta steam page has a teaser about Druid and Barbarian being added in an upcoming DLC. The teaser mentions "level 14 abilities" so the DLC may also be adding levels (and probably a follow-up story to the campaign).

Prove it with a link, Where is said that max level from level 10 will rise in Solasta???

Well not that it matter to me have not wanted to return to ugly dolls characters and riddles grin
New classes? That will not fix the shit graphics and the controlling of the game and the riddles and bugs.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 24/08/21 04:29 PM.
veteran
veteran
yikes Terminator, you're starting to lose all pretense of objectivity now. Isn't it about time to just move on from Solasta?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Terminator2020

Prove it with a link, Where is said that max level from level 10 will rise in Solasta???
It took me a while to find it, but here it is.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1096530/view/2961666917083328453

The exact detail comes from community competition, specifically:
You do not need to submit a complete design – for instance, if you have cool ideas for a level 3 and level 6 barbarian features, but nothing for level 10 and 14, you can still submit something!
And as levels 10-14 aren't supported so far, it is a curious thing to write.

Well not that it matter to me have not wanted to return to ugly dolls characters and riddles grin
New classes? That will not fix the shit graphics and the controlling of the game and the riddles and bugs,
I mean from three recent cRPGs that I played (Wasteland3, Baldur's Gate3, and Solasta) the last one controls the best. Frankly the only issue it has is clunky grid based movement staying during exploration, which causes some issues.

I appreciate that Tactical Adventures knows strenghts and weaknesses and try to expand on what is good about Solasta. As someone who thought that Solasta was rather brilliant for the project of its size, more classes more levels, and perhaps more content is very much what I would be interested in buying.

veteran
veteran

Same here. This has been true for me with the original BG games too, and also other RPGs I love like Witcher 3. Game fatigue is unavoidable. Heck even other genres of games have this, for example strategy games like Civ.

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>
This can be true for Solasta. Well not true for BG3. It becomes confusing when you mention both of them in your statement.

However next patch 6 for BG3 when it eventually comes out yes I find it very likely they release at least one new base class. It has been a long time since Druid was released. They do not need to release all base classes in Early Access in BG3.

Barbarian, Bard, Monk, Paladin and Sorceror those who not yet released in Early Access BG3 they could release at full release date regardless if then released more then one class.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 12:21 PM. Reason: deleted forum account
T
stranger
stranger
T
I prefer Character Creation on Solasta, I can roll pretty good starting stats. Who ever heard of a Drow with a 15 dex. They are from all the D&D references some of the most Dexterous races out there. Not to mention you don't get max hit points for a warrior 10+2 four times I should be at 48 Hit Points. You Expect me to fight a spider with 136hp and it hits for 20 poison damage per shot with out max Hit points. I get some of you players like the Point Buy system but for old school players that have actually run professionally run games at game cons and Live Streamed games a Majority of us Prefer the Roll your stats way. Those are bragging rights sometimes. "Hey I got a Warrior with 18 Strength 18 Con you want to Crow about it. If you don't like what I said that's fine but 99% of my Viewers agree you should have stats rolls. 885K Subscribers agree. The Other 115k Either don't care or Cant decide. So I ask the Devs Please add stat rolls.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TGF-Booze
I prefer Character Creation on Solasta, I can roll pretty good starting stats. Who ever heard of a Drow with a 15 dex. They are from all the D&D references some of the most Dexterous races out there. Not to mention you don't get max hit points for a warrior 10+2 four times I should be at 48 Hit Points. You Expect me to fight a spider with 136hp and it hits for 20 poison damage per shot with out max Hit points. I get some of you players like the Point Buy system but for old school players that have actually run professionally run games at game cons and Live Streamed games a Majority of us Prefer the Roll your stats way. Those are bragging rights sometimes. "Hey I got a Warrior with 18 Strength 18 Con you want to Crow about it. If you don't like what I said that's fine but 99% of my Viewers agree you should have stats rolls. 885K Subscribers agree. The Other 115k Either don't care or Cant decide. So I ask the Devs Please add stat rolls.
I agree that we should be able to roll stats, but what does rolling stats have to do with max hit points??

In D&D 5e you never get maximum hp past 1st level. You either roll your hit die upon leveling up (1d10 for fighter) or take the average roll (1d10 -> 6) and then add your Con modifier. Enemies in 5e, especially monsters, often have more HP than an equivalently "leveled" player, both because a single or a couple enemies are expected to fight a party of 4-6 PCs, and because PCs have more powerful abilities than monsters typically get.

BG3 uses the 5e-compliant average system, so a level 4 fighter with 14 Con will have 10+6+6+6+2*4 = 36hp

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
I just got to the first outpost in Solasta, so I have barely started.

They have exceeded their shoestring budget to make something that is very praiseworthy for such a dinky company.

The characters are casually pleasant and occasionally witty so far (well done). Now they don't have the depth that a big budget would afford, however they have a unique system that checks the personality tags that you gave them at creation to form unique dialog...brilliant. They are certainly likable company, and what they say, in itself, adds to the atmosphere.

The graphics and animations are not AAA, but they are certainly a step up from some recent B track titles and an upgrade from older Wizards of the Coast games for sure. I would love to see what this team could do with full access to D&D lore...ie Faerun.

Always better to expect little to nothing and get more, than to be hyped up for a AAA title and get served meatloaf...poor Andromeda (so close, just released too soon).

Edit: Oh the title asks for a comparison. Apples and apricots...two different facets of new D&D titles. Solasta doesn't even have full 5e license. Solasta is a closer interpretation of 5e...ish, but with mods is irrelevant.
Erm...I haven't had the urge to kick any of my companions to the curb...or off the Nautiloid for that matter. An annoyance, but even if they fail to make even one decent female companion, I will just get the "Vilja in Balder's Gate" mod.

"Uh OH....look over there...its a dragon"

*OK starting a thread for those who know what the hell I'm talking about.

Last edited by Van'tal; 27/08/21 11:55 PM.
veteran
veteran
I honestly wish I could combine the two games. I love the fact that Solasta uses D&D 5e standard rules and implements the game very well and is very well balanced. Meanwhile, Baldur's has better story and dialogue options and replayability and it looks prettier and there's a lot more variations of things you can do and paths you can take.

When it comes to combat and gameplay from a character building perspective and a party movement perspective, Solasta wins. It also wins from a u i perspective and item management perspective.

Last edited by GM4Him; 05/11/21 11:38 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Solasta is anything but very well-balanced.

Their homebrew subclasses are either god-awful (Spellblade, Shadow Caster) or too powerful (Mountaineer, Shock Arcanist), while the game suffers from over-reliance on light/darkness and enemies that thrive in the dark, making picking races with darkvision a bit of a must for an optimal party unless you want a whole truckload of irritation added to combat with the game's primary antagonists and vampiric undead, out of which the latter are introduced way too early for how dangerous they are.

The pre-existing 5e cheese (Grease, Hypnotic Pattern) is still there though, so as soon as you hit level 7 on an applicable caster most fights with non-undead / non-elemental enemies can be solved with a single spell if you are having trouble. They did claim they made the final fight more difficult with the last update, though, so I am currently giving it another go to test the new classes out (Sorcerer is heavily bugged, with twinned spell freezing the game and making you restart fights on occassion), but I wasn't particularly impressed by it after my first playthrough.

old hand
old hand
Someone went and made a video of the multiplayer alpha hidden in the game's menu and currently only accessible via modding.

It seems pretty functional already, but there's probably a lot of issues off-screen that can't be gleaned from an in-game video. Regardless I'm excited for whenever this gets officially implemented.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 11/11/21 06:22 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Brainer
They did claim they made the final fight more difficult with the last update, though
They sure did.

I'd usually complain how the Sorr-Akkath deflate way too quickly as enemies despite being the plot's main threat, and they still do - by the time the abominations and the shikkath appear, your party is way too powerful for them, so a single one isn't gonna make a whole lot of difference - even on the Scavenger difficulty which I played the game for the second time on, and that made combat a lot more enjoyable and challenging (I still think that raw 5e fights are a borefest, though).

So in the final fight they throw them at you in bulk now. Three Shikkath at once, who are legendary creatures, so they get to act beyond their own turn and reroll saving throws which renders control spells useless, combined with several abominations. It's actually a very tough fight now, one that you can't quite win without some heavy spell conservation in its first phase (with the Tshar, who also got a few more friends, so the draconic assistance didn't last long against them frown ), which does work with how you're supposed to barely hold on rather than actually crush them without noticing.

All in all, the game still suffers from being much too stiff and much too restrictive, and the finale is so obviously rushed and poorly slapped together that it feels like a good third of the plot is missing. We'll see how the dungeon editor's gonna look in the future, but so far it's not exactly NWN level - mostly due to the lack of scripting, not being able to create properly custom creatures and gear, and map editing being very basic. It's the case of them not making the editor first to make the game in, like Bioware did with the Aurora toolset for NWN, but adding the editor as an afterthought. We'll see where it goes, though. People praise user-made dungeons as basically infinite D&D-based content, but for me personally it lacks the power that the NWN modules had behind them, being proper role-playing adventures rather than a dungeon crawl. Here's hoping that BG3's custom content tools will be both powerful AND user-friendly this time around, unlike the toolsets for the D:OS games - although, since it's the same engine, it will likely not be the case.

veteran
veteran
Ok fine. Admittedly, I haven't finished Solasta, but up to level 6, things have been going [pretty darn well. I have been challenged but not overly so.

Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard