Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
So you are looking for a Dexterity check for jumping in front of the snake to take the hit? And if you fail that do you accept the consequences? or do you Save Scum?

Or do we loop back to "The game didn't give me enough options to not fail"?

So do you know what happens when Arabella dies?

Save scum is a personal choice. I *do* think that there should be an option in the difficulty settings to lock in the random number seed so that save scumming does not work, but it should be a separate option from the rest of the difficulty settings.

veteran
veteran
Legacy of Bhaal was not meant for a first time playthrough. It's really more equivalent to New Game+ where you export characters that are geared up and 8th level already. Although they really should explain this to people when selecting that difficulty, otherwise its just an unbalanced shit-show.

I would say pass on that one but the 4 we need to have are Story Mode, Normal, Core Rules, and Hard.
It's no meant for any playthrough, it's just terrible.

Incidentally I think most New Game+ modes are garbage as well, because they suffer from the same exact design issue: they are just the same exact game with more bloated numbers on top... And everything unlocked from the get go, which kind of defeats the point.

To be clear I'd be perfectly fine with "extremely challenging extra modes" as long as that increase in difficulty is obtained playing inside the core rules (i.e. more enemies, enemy lieutenants higher in level, etc).
It's the "Everything does more damage and has 5X more health" that I absolutely despise in principle.

Originally Posted by Fox of Embers
If you add more rules and want one to read "Core Rules" it should be the "Normal" setting. Unless you want a difficulty which basically says "We assumed you all are too bad for the real rules". I mean, the main difference is saving, to be honest.
Even the rest-abuse is possible in real P&P, you just need to spend most of your day reading a book or something like that.

I honestly dislike the Story Mode difficulty as well. It is immortality + max strength, that is not a difficulty setting that is an inbuild godmode.
Well, most of these games right now pretty much by deafault put "core rules" as the intermediate-hard-mode and "normal" is usually the mode where everything is weaker than it should be. It was the same with BG2, Pathfinder, etc.
I dislike for these modes is just as pronounced as the one for the super-hardcore modes made just bloating numbers, for the record.

Last edited by Tuco; 10/08/21 04:08 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
So you are looking for a Dexterity check for jumping in front of the snake to take the hit? And if you fail that do you accept the consequences? or do you Save Scum?

Or do we loop back to "The game didn't give me enough options to not fail"?
That is actualy interesting question ...

So the situation would be that my paladin would jump in front of Arabella, to sacrifice himself for her ... but snake would be faster and bite the kid anyway. Corect?

Honestly i would probably still demand using healing spells, bcs it seem like logical thing to do.
(And Swen himself promised us possibility to use spells during conversation BTW laugh )
BUT! If there will simply be option to offer healing spells, and being told by Rath(?) that it is too late, and she is alleady gone ...
I think i would accept that.
My paladin did as much as he could ... the next course of actions would ofcourse be to demand justice (or revenge w/e) on Kagha ... so my paladin would probably attack her, but that is another story. smile

So do you know what happens when Arabella dies?
Sure ...
You tell her parrents, they are upset and refuse to talk to you anymore ... no matter that you were just the mesenger, those bastards dont even thank you for trying. :-/

Then, when you save Halsin ... and if you didnt reveal Kagha (didnt try yet if you do), they will poison her on celebration in your camp ...
her mother have quite emotional speach abowe Kagha body when she say "i want you to feel as helpless as my poor little girl was" ... i liked that outcome.
//Edit:

Or at least that is what happened last time i tryed ... its ben some while, so its possible that some changes happened ...
I honestly dont have the willpower of trying "every possible outcome" at every patch as i was first time the game come out (possibly didnt made them all anyway tho laugh ). laugh
I think im halfway to burndown ... but not yet there, so i restricted myself to aproximately two palythrough per patch ... unless im in the mood to give it extra one. smile

Originally Posted by dwig
With regards to the Arabella situation, I do agree that there should be more options involved. At the moment even a character with high charisma and persuasion skill has a fairly high chance of failure. This would be easier to swallow if some or all of the following modifications were made:

1. Note that Arabella's death occurs when she moves suddenly at the end of the conversation. Give here a "willpower" roll to not do this (success means that she remains in captivity but does not die).

2. Give player a passive insight or perception roll to notice that Arabella is stressed and likely to do something foolish. If successful then give player a couple of extra conversation options (A: calm down, I'll help you through this B: neutral, C: get away child!) where A would give her a significant bonus to her willpower roll, and C would give her a penalty to it.

3. If Arabella survives the interaction but remains in captivity provide a suite of options that the player can follow to get her out again.
+1 I like those ideas :3

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/08/21 04:18 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Exactly, Arabella dying leads to some very interesting long term repercussions. Its funny that Larian put in so much stuff that will never be seen by most players but I applaud them for doing so.

Still, I would like the Option - a checkbox would be ideal - to prevent save scumming.

However, on highest difficulty settings it should be automatically enabled with the option to turn it off.

Blackheifer
Stikyard #786337 10/08/21 04:39 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The reason I think we need a "Hardcore Mode" is because sometimes you get RNG to the Nine Hells and it feels bad but, it allows for actual consequences in the game. Yes a person of Willpower could decide I'm not going to reload my saves no matter what but, that can be really hard to do sometimes and, tempted to try it again. Also their is a streaming experience, sharing your game with other people and having to accept bad results if they happen.

Someone asked how can you enforce this? Plenty of games today don't allow you to create hard saves. Minecraft and Darkest Dungeon come to mind. The game is constantly updating your progress and when you exit the game your progress is hard saved for you.

Also, this should be an optional mode, perhaps with some additional rewards throughout the campaign.

Stikyard #786339 10/08/21 04:44 PM
veteran
veteran
I'd like the option for a "honor mode" with a single save, everything auto-saved and you living up with the consequences of your choices. It could be interesting.
But I'd still want to able to reload the game from the last "checkpoint" if anything goes south.

What I didn't like and I didn't even bother trying in DOS 2 was the "Honor mode" made as an "Ironman mode", where dying meant losing your save entirely.
I won't even attempt to put 80 hours in a massive game only to have it wiped from my HD if something went poorly for any reason.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Exactly, Arabella dying leads to some very interesting long term repercussions. Its funny that Larian put in so much stuff that will never be seen by most players but I applaud them for doing so.
Exactly what?
The fact that outcome is not boring and have some depth ... dont change the fact that its compeltely useless for certain characters. laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Exactly what?
The fact that outcome is not boring and have some depth ... dont change the fact that its compeltely useless for certain characters. laugh

Just fyi -There is a term that applies to this kind of playstyle - it's called "Path-polishing" - selecting outcomes based on how well they work with an existing character/class type.

In multiplayer we kind of round-robin the decision making and back whatever play somebody makes regardless of outcome. Save scumming isn't really a thing and reloading mostly only happens when there is a game-breaking bug.

I think the more you do this you realize the value in letting the chips land where they may and going with it. Not judging how people play, just pointing out that exposure to this style of play tends to alter your perceptions.

Having said that I look forward to different difficulty settings and Core-rules modes. I have groups that would love a core-rules run on hard difficulty with honor mode.

Blackheifer
Stikyard #786385 10/08/21 08:26 PM
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I only explained what i do, and why i do that ... and then, after you asked what would i like to see so dont feel the need to do that.

And i allready told you ...
I know the value, and i know the outcome ... still, for character that do not have provided options he would need i have only two options, either betray the character (by looking like those options would never exist, and like it would be totally impossible to do that) and "play along" ... or betray the game and prevent the situation even happening.

It's funny that you, as such a strong supporter of the claim that "you don't like, don't use" is nonsense ... you advise me to ignore the fact that I don't like something that is missing in the game.
Oh the irony. smile

veteran
veteran
I only explained what i do, and why i do that ... and then, after you asked what would i like to see so dont feel the need to do that.

I know the value, and i know the outcome ... still, for character that do not have provided options he would need i have only two options, either betray the character (by looking like those options would never exist, and like it would be totally impossible to do that) and "play along" ... or betray the game and prevent the situation even happening.

It's funny that you, as such a strong supporter of the claim that "you don't like, don't use" is nonsense ... you advise me to ignore the fact that I don't like something that is missing in the game.
Oh the irony. smile

Are you responding to me? I think you are mis translating, or inferring value where none exists.

What are you using as translation software?

Blackheifer
T
Banned
Banned
T

Oh the irony. smile

Are you responding to me? I think you are mis translating, or inferring value where none exists.

What are you using as translation software?
Yes RagnarokCzD is unless he lies from Czech Republic (CZE) Europe. I am from Finland Europe. I have nothing against Czech Republic people they are like Finland good at icehockey though nowadays Finland is slightly better (Finland 2021 SILVER, 2020 COVID not played, 2019 FINLAND GOLD) then CZE in ichockey that said I consider CZE is better in football (soccer) then Finland. Tuco is from Italy Europe. Italy won GOLD in football Europe Championship summer 2021 and yes Italy is much better then CZE or Finland in football (soccer).

Ichockey World Champion men
2021 CANADA GOLD, FINLAND SILVER, USA BRONZE, GERMANY 4th
2020 not played due to COVID 19
2019 FINLAND GOLD, CANADA SILVER, RUSSIA BRONZE, CZE 4h
During years 2017-2018 Sweden was excellent.
I do however respect CZE in ichehockey they are tough and good in icehockey.

FOOTBALL EUROPE CHAMPIONSHIP 2021:
ITALY GOLD
ENGLAND SILVER
Shared BRONZE price SPAIN and DENMARK they do not play Bronze game in EUROPE CHAMPIONSHIP football but to get among TOP 4 is to get lots of price money.
CZE qualified at least from the group. Finland was 3rd in their group but failed to qualify from their group. Both of these countries not even near as good as ITALY.

You can see his first language is not English and he is not excellent in English. Why would he use wrongly small letter if he is excellent at English language
i am
instead of correctly using
I am?

I can see movies at cinema and I do not need to read subtitles to see a movie in English language. However in every country in Europe there are many people that can less understand English then me.
Clearly his first language is not English and he knows less English then me see spoiler for details.
Your are from USA and your first language is English. My first language is not English, but I can very well English language. However likely you can slightly speak better English then me since your first language (mother tongue) is English.

I need to speak fluently Finnish, Swedish and English in my workplace.

ONTOPIC
I wish this game will have at least 6 different difficulty challenge levels example:
1. Very easy
2. Easy
3. Normal (Early Access)
4. Hard
5. Very Hard
6. Nightmare
However I must give feedback. A 5th level Gityanki Fighter should not have over 90 hitpoints in Early Access. Why not rename him correctly as higher level then call him level 5 Fighter in Early Access if he has freaking over 90 hitpoints? I consider that specific fight slightly to hard for Early Access if it is going to be so called Normal challenge.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 12/08/21 10:35 AM.
Stikyard #786576 11/08/21 10:54 PM
addict
addict
Having done a few Level 1 start Legacy of Bhaal mode Ironman runs of BG1 (outrageous gamer boasting) I support an optional Hardcore/Permadeath Mode and Super Difficult modes in all cases.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard