Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
addict
addict
BG3 solos ftarsield and delza.

Everyone who disagree feel free to turn on your Mimbento Gwitch and enjoy being treated as pure cash cow by them.

===

In all seriousness, Starfield wasn't bad, I enjoyed it, it's a good game, it has different philosophy of RPG which Bethesda always have since the beginning of times.

If you expect DnD experience, you'll never get it from Starfield, but if you want a proper Open world RPG, where your build constantly tested with repeating quests and dungeons (making character build actually "moot" point because you only enjoyed it like 30% of the game with it in other game).

I don't have any opinion on Zelda. It's not an RPG, even if some consider it as RPG it has even less RPG than Starfield. Which to me automatically considered as hot garbage.

Baldur's Gate 3 *will* win GOTY, but more importantly, BG3 will be the new minimum standard for any studio who want to make an RPG, properly, anything less considered less RPG thus I don't like it, so sayeth the wise Timothy Cain.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dext. Paladin
BG3 solos ftarsield and delza.

Everyone who disagree feel free to turn on your Mimbento Gwitch and enjoy being treated as pure cash cow by them.

===

In all seriousness, Starfield wasn't bad, I enjoyed it, it's a good game, it has different philosophy of RPG which Bethesda always have since the beginning of times.

If you expect DnD experience, you'll never get it from Starfield, but if you want a proper Open world RPG, where your build constantly tested with repeating quests and dungeons (making character build actually "moot" point because you only enjoyed it like 30% of the game with it in other game).

I don't have any opinion on Zelda. It's not an RPG, even if some consider it as RPG it has even less RPG than Starfield. Which to me automatically considered as hot garbage.

Baldur's Gate 3 *will* win GOTY, but more importantly, BG3 will be the new minimum standard for any studio who want to make an RPG, properly, anything less considered less RPG thus I don't like it, so sayeth the wise Timothy Cain.

Truthfully the only thing really going for bethesda games is mod support and community. With BG3 having no support nor tools to create your own story. This will be uninstalled after so many plays.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Bethesda is spending more on marketing the game than they probably did developing the game. This is a classic Microsoft move, they did the same thing with Windows Vista.

Right now they basically bought Reddit and own the mods on the Starfield forum. They won't allow any other subreddits with 'Starfield' in the title to exist. Going to have to kick Reddit to the curb soon.

Steam reviews would put the game at "Mostly Positive" - since 22% of the reviews are currently negative - from "Very Positive" where it is currently frozen at. Metacritic gives it a review score of 86 but a User score of 5.4 OUCH!

Bethesda is going to have to keep spending hard to mask all the bad reviews Starfield is getting.

Bye bye Starfield, ya basic.

Yep, Bg3 is going to win GOTY. Why were we even worried?

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Hopefully BG3 will win GOTY! laezelapprove

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Bethesda is spending more on marketing the game than they probably did developing the game. This is a classic Microsoft move, they did the same thing with Windows Vista.

Right now they basically bought Reddit and own the mods on the Starfield forum. They won't allow any other subreddits with 'Starfield' in the title to exist. Going to have to kick Reddit to the curb soon.

Steam reviews would put the game at "Mostly Positive" - since 22% of the reviews are currently negative - from "Very Positive" where it is currently frozen at. Metacritic gives it a review score of 86 but a User score of 5.4 OUCH!

Bethesda is going to have to keep spending hard to mask all the bad reviews Starfield is getting.

Bye bye Starfield, ya basic.

Yep, Bg3 is going to win GOTY. Why were we even worried?
I’m not happy about this result for Starfield. Skyrim and Morrowind are probably my favorite games, but they’re a decade and two decades old. After Skyrim, every RPG for 10 years was trying to do Skyrim, until some of them actually advanced the medium. After Breath of the Wild’s introduction of verticality and physics, Witcher 3’s combination of cinematics with comprehensive open world exploration and narrative choice, FromSoft’s introduction of complex and difficult combat with unique enemy design and visual storytelling, countless games investing in quality animation and expression over 4k graphical computer-eating monstrosities, and the CRPG renaissance games showing that people like reactivity, activity density, and in-depth systems and mechanics, Bethesda is beginning to look very dated.

They’re not doing anything new with their formula. They’re not revolutionising the open world or the ability to explore and become anything or anyone. It’s the same game with a new coat of paint, slapping in some widgets and customisation mechanics that people never praised to begin with when they were introduced in Fallout 4. That’s fine to do for 5 years, but 10 is too much.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
stranger
stranger
I wouldn't say Starfield is lame from what I've seen, but BG3 definitely deserves to win GOTY

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Avatar Korra
I wouldn't say Starfield is lame from what I've seen, but BG3 definitely deserves to win GOTY
It doesn't with the act 3 it currently has.

veteran
veteran
The tribalism gets a bit tiring. Why wouldn't we want MORE good games?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I saw it coming, all Starfield presentations were yawn-inducing.

Typical Bethesda jank, but in space and without Jeremy Soul music, and without good Elder Scrolls lore to back it all up. Not interested in it in the Slightest, and I played all Bethesda games starting from Morrowind. Bethesda has lost it's magic.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
It makes me concerned for Larian. After a certain high point, great RPG studios begin to stagnate and decline. What if this is as good as it gets?

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
B
old hand
old hand
B
Oh look, yet another Team Johnny versus Team Amber nothing. How very American.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Stuff like Starfield isn't my cup of tea, but judging by news and reviews, yeah absolutely - if the only competitor is Starfield, even BG3 can get GOTY.
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
If would like BG3 to win GoTy just as a strong message to the AAA gaming industry. That alone would be great.
Strong - yes, no doubt about that. But I wonder what kind of message it will be. Keep in mind, most people are rather daft (C-level execs are doubly so), so what was shown matters little; what matters is what was seen.

"So yer wanna get yerself GOTY, laddies? Make sure you piggyback on an established franchise, and include plenty of pre-rendered sex scenes!"

This is what happened to a certain other industry, which
in the last decade or so has turned into a place where everybody is a step relative to everybody else.

We've already seen this, too many times to bother counting. After the initial success of Ultima Online, Lineage 1 / 2 and WoW, everyone and their mother jumped onto the hype train and started producing MMOs of varying quality. And where all of them are now?..
After Dark Souls hit the market, a lot of companies tried to mimic From's success. Most, if not all of them have failed miserably, which is no surprise.

Should we expect the same wave of copycats with BG3? Absolutely. With predictable results? Oh yes. Not because BG3 is so fucking great and outstanding, but because the executives' minds (or whatever they have in place of cerebral cortex) work differently from ours. Not playing the games, not understanding their attractive and repulsive aspects, being able to think only in terms of TTM and ROI prevents them from making decisions that result in great products. The three pillars of business strategy: gut feeling, hand-waving and meme copying. "It worked for BG3, it should work for our game!" Sure, but what are these "it"s? Sex sells, but this is old hat; let's outdo Larian in bestiality then! Oh, and maybe aliens? BG3 doesn't have aliens; let's add them and have sex with them!

I'm going to have a lot of fun watching new CRPG releases in the next several years.

P.S. Just caught a bug - party stuck between 2 different camps, cannot proceed. And it's only Act 1. Give them GOTY, my arse... As one Steam reviewer has put it succinctly, "Developers loved their Early Access so much, they released Early Access 2".

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Originally Posted by Beechams

It's GAME of the year, not GAMES of the year. Competition is baked in. They can't all win, and no one is saying they don't want more great games. In fact, it seems to me that the reason there's a strong desire for BG3 to win is to get *more* great games like BG3.

In short, I don't think your comments are fair.

And I think the "American" comment is unfortunately insulting and entirely unnecessarily.

O
stranger
stranger
O
I mean, this is a very silly opinion to have considering, since 2014, only 3 exclusive games have won GOTY. BG3 will probably win GOTY this year, and rightfully so, but it wouldn't be a bad thing for Starfield or TOTK to win. I mean, Starfield is obviously not going to win, but TOTK still has a chance.

Tbf, the thread itself is silly, but expected. Opinions are rife when it comes to video games. I'm just saying that this fear of exclusive games is unfounded. By this logic, the 2017 GOTY nominees were rigged because Mario Odyssey and BOTW were exclusive to Switch, and Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn were only on ps4 at the time. Leaving PubG, a primarily PC game, to I guess win.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Originally Posted by Beechams

It's GAME of the year, not GAMES of the year. Competition is baked in. They can't all win, and no one is saying they don't want more great games. In fact, it seems to me that the reason there's a strong desire for BG3 to win is to get *more* great games like BG3.

In short, I don't think your comments are fair.

And I think the "American" comment is unfortunately insulting and entirely unnecessarily.

His assertion that tribalism is in any way an exclusively American problem is baffling.

Last edited by Warlocke; 08/09/23 06:22 PM.
veteran
veteran
I don't think it'S good form to bash another game, just because we want 'our' game to be GOTY. From what I've heard, Starfield seems to be well enough and the people waiting for it, seem to have as much fan with it as we do with BG3.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
To clarify: I wanted Starfield to be good. I loved past Bethesda games, but they burned us with F76 and game companies don't just turn themselves around - especially if they don't have any mechanism for figuring out what the problem was in the first place.

Bethesda NEVER figured out what the core problem with F76 was other than fixing bugs and adding content. They never figured out that it could have done great if they just made it a fun co-op experience, instead of a nightmare of inventory management and repeating quests for everyone in your group. Apparently "shared quest" technology was lost in 2004 or something.

They won't figure out the problems with Starfield either - and one of them is unfixable - even with mods. They built the entire game on a bad simulation of a simulation of a Galaxy, instead of actually creating a 3D Galaxy. That is bone structure level unfixable.

Todd Howard isn't a genius, he's just an Optimism machine - to the point where it causes him to have a cognitive bias and be a poor decision maker since he ignores things that don't comport to his Optimism bias. he may have been a good executive at some point, or he just had good people around him. Those days are gone.

So I wanted it to be good, but I didn't expect it would be. Bethesda is not going to produce good games going forward. Although that won't stop them from selling well - they will just lean hard on marketing while making an inferior product.

Blackheifer
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
I don't think it'S good form to bash another game, just because we want 'our' game to be GOTY. From what I've heard, Starfield seems to be well enough and the people waiting for it, seem to have as much fan with it as we do with BG3.

So we should never criticize anything? Just sit still and don't complain. Be a good boy, never speak up? Why should we not criticise other games?

No, hard disagree. People need to practice ways to be critical that are effective, especially these days. Critical voices have real value in this world, and you should always practice using that voice.

Blackheifer
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I'm enjoying Starfield at the moment. Personally I think BG3 is a better game. But seeing as how they're two totally different games I can see people thinking Starfield is better. Or maybe Zelda: TOTK.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by fylimar

So we should never criticize anything? Just sit still and don't complain. Be a good boy, never speak up? Why should we not criticise other games?

No, hard disagree. People need to practice ways to be critical that are effective, especially these days. Critical voices have real value in this world, and you should always practice using that voice.

Well, this is a BG3 forum, there is a general forum with threads for non-Larian games. Or maybe go to a Starfield forum and offer the critisism there, that could actually help. I don't think, bashing a Bethesda game in a Larian forum is good form or will change anything, because it is highly unlikely that someone, who could change something about it, would read it here. Offering constructive critisism in the Bethesda forum might be the right way.
SO yeah, I agree that you absolutely can critisise stuff, but do it, where the people responsible can read it and react.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard