Originally Posted by Abits
Originally Posted by _Vic_
.... Except you are not being objective at all, no offence intended.

Originally Posted by Abits
The biggest problem (or strength, depends who you ask) of WotR is that it is a niche game, and the developers develop the game specifically for their niche audience that seem to like the things we hate (powergaming, minmaxing, etc). I feel like more work should have been done with the difficulty settings, that while are better than most game, still lacks more customisation that might have made the game more accessible. For the most part, I still find the difficulty to make the game either hard and sometimes too hard or too easy.

More work with the difficulty settings? O.O

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

As you can see you have 7 difficulty modes and you can customize from the difficulty and strength of the enemies to the number of the enemies you face in every encounter, weak critical hits against the party, party speed, encumbrance, dead party members rise after combat, etc.

And, like kingmaker, you can turn off or put the crusade management in automatic mode if you do not like that kind of strategy minigame with minimal story impact.

I mean, if you have that kind of customization and you want even more because it does not reach the sweet spot you will like for your game... well... I do not think the problem is in the game.
You simply cannot ask the devs to adjust the difficulty to every player in the game, but you could ask that they provide the more options they could with the budget and human power they have. And they did.

Evidently, it´s not the type of game do you like, or even the tabletop it´s based on. that´s fair; but it seems you are just finding fault in everything in the game, even things that are objectively not there.

... And just for the record, the fact that kingmaker and WoTR are hard games nobody argues, but I also have to say I finished the game with a party of 5 bards, so the need of what you called "powergaming" and min-maxing are only needed for the harder difficulties. Pretty sure in story mode with the lowest "damage to the party" setting the IA wins almost all the fights for you with autoattacks (I know that for a fact because my sister do not like combat and management, so she played the game like a visual novel, just to read and roleplay)
You still need to beat some enemies that have particular resistances with the right spells or weapons, but you have all the time in the world to do so in the lowest difficulty settings.
As I said it´s a hard game. it´s like playing dark souls and complain that you are dying. Yeah, it´s a hard game from starters. Nobody said otherwise. But unlike the dark souls series you can lower the difficulty to a manageable point, letting players that like challenges play the game too.

I find it a good decision to allow people that like challenging combat and people that are there for the story and are not interested in to play the same game. I think BG3 would be like that too.
I'll say it again because you kinda nitpick a part of a sentence out of what I said. while the game difficulty settings are better than most games there is still work to be done in my opinion. It doesn't mean what they already did is bad or unappreciated. quite the opposite. When it comes to what I specifically like about RPGs, I like it to be challenging, but not too challenging as to force me to have perfect builds and only use specific weapons and such. right now I can kind of work it out in normal mode but some battles are still too tough in my opinion. the interesting thing about it is that for the most part, I use the builds that were provided by the game itself, so it's not like I'm necessarily build my characters really bad or something of the sort. perhaps it's just a matter of git good, but I can say for certain that lowering the difficulty doesn't help, because then enemies die in two or three hits. The only thing that kinda helps is the party damage slider, but than I can have a very long battle of miss miss miss miss miss miss until I hit something. and to be honest, I'm not sure it's a problem with the difficulty settings.

As I said above, there are e 7 difficulty modes and you can customize from the difficulty and strength of the enemies to the number of the enemies you face in every encounter, weak critical hits against the party, party speed, encumbrance, dead party members rise after combat, etc.
If with that kind of customization you still have problems with the overall difficulty of the game, I do not think the problem is in the videogame.

Let´s be realistic, not many games will offer you more than this, you will hardly find games with more options than the ones offered. If you still have issues, maybe it´s simply not the game for you. But It does not mean it´s a bad game or could be enjoyable for a lot of people.

If you want even more control to make your experience with the game exactly what you want, you can make your own mods and do the perfect game for your tastes. Check here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/comments/9m6sos/modding_pathfinder_kingmaker/

Last edited by _Vic_; 22/08/21 06:13 PM.