Originally Posted by Van'tal
Originally Posted by VDA
I'm sure a lot of other issues have been posted about, but in DnD some builds have an amazing range they can operate at and in BG3 this range is nerfed. Some examples:

Firebolt ( normal range 120 feet, BG3 range 60 feet )
Eldritch Blast ( normal range 120 feet, Eldritch Spear range 300 ft, BG3 range 60 feet )
Longbows ( can shoot without disadvantage at 150 feet, can shoot with disadvantage up to 600 feet )

Now I am not saying that we should be able to shoot 600 feet away, that would be a bit too much, but 120 feet should be fine. The issue with limiting those spells is that:

1. You nerf what makes the spell special. Firebolt and EBlast being 120 feet is part of their balance. By nerfing their range by half and giving nothing in return, you just nerf a class for no reason. And Warlock really doesn't need nerfs.

2. By making the range cap at 60 feet that means any melee with a Dash can get in your face which is not good and needlessly nerfs casters/ranged characters by putting them in extra danger that they shouldn't be in.

3. 60 feet max range severely limits the advantage of getting to high ground and making use of angles and cover

The best thing Larian did is make this easily mod-able. If you go to nexus, there are many many mods that are working on implementing the RAW (Rules As Written). Each patch means these moders have to update their work, but by the time the game is finished, just about anything you want for the game will be available to you.

The trickier obstacle would be tweaking the AI, or so I would imagine. This too will be eventually moded to make the game more challenging. Just think Skyrim...it is all the mods that make that game worth replaying (including ones that made game-play more enjoyable). Remember the mods throw all this "balancing" off.

I am grateful to see the single player RPG coming back into vogue. I applaud the efforts of Larian for creating such a beautiful engine. If they publish a product that lets us create and use custom modules with it, call it a huge win.

To be clear I have personally used multiple mods already, and enjoyed playing a Hexblade Warlock. I did see a mod that restored all the ranges properly, but it wasn't on nexus...that will happen I am sure...be patient.

Mods are all fine and good, but I want to be able to play the game with proper ranges without needing any Mods.