Astarion's flamboyant personality is great.

It's the teenage vampire fiction part I can't stand. Vampires are supposed to be scary. The tadpole doesn't even begin to explain a daywalking vampire as a party member who has all the relevant perks conveniently suppressed. I don't even believe a tadpole would be able to function on a dead body. They ignored or bent all the rules just because someone thought it would be cool to have a vampire companion.

It's how casually the game introduces a vampire character into the party that rubs me the wrong way. It's nothing special, like a half-orc or something. Vampires are mundane and have feelings, too. The hell they are! Hexxat is dark and cool with a great introduction quest. Astarion is just haphazardly written and too human in comparison.

He's appearance is also way too obvious with the red eyes and fangs for people to continuously "not notice". He is "centuries old", yet somehow level 1. Every part, every small detail of him just seems to be off the mark.

And finally, a game where it's always sunny daytime, can never do a vampire character justice. Even if the daywalking would be perfectly explained, they are still creatures of the night. Astarion should not feel comfortable in sunlight but choose to be active after dark instead. For all he knows, he could lose the daywalking ability at any moment and be incinerated on the spot. He doesn't know how it works.