Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Though even for all its faults, its highs for me are still higher than BG3's highs in the current state of both games, though Larian has 1-2 years to surprise everyone.

+100

My only complaints thus far have been bugs and game-stopping crashes for some areas, and the Crusade system. With any luck, both will get ironed out as time passes.

We already got quite a large bug fix patch not even but 4-5 days after release, with more promised to come as they try to address the worst of the issues (that being the full crashes). But outside of those issues, the game has honestly been pretty amazing in most aspects.

As for the talk of the writing being subpar... trust me, I've played games with far worse. It may not be flowery and verbose (not that I dislike that style of writing - I tend to write stories that way myself and love books like that), but if nothing else it gives quite a good feeling of an actual tabletop game in the form of a single player video game experience. And really, at the end of the day I think hardcore fans of D&D or Pathfinder tend to want that more than anything.

Originally Posted by ash elemental
So far the biggest disappointment is the writing, especially for the evil path. It is not only worse than Kingmaker, it's worse than BG3 (which has been very lacking so far). In Kingmaker the writers combined both the lawful/chaotic and evil/good axis to create a dialogue system with plenty options available. Not only is this missing in WotR, the evil options are so simplistic, it's just laziness on the writers part:
[Evil] I don't like you. Attack!
Or other variations of the above.

I honestly saw the Evil "immediately attack" option as a way to be a murder hobo, if one so desires. There have been instances of more analytical or pragmatic yet harsh approaches that are also considered "evil", though, so I think overall there's a fairly good blend in terms of player dialogue options.

The overall writing for Evil paths, though, I can't comment much on. As even when I try to play a detached chaotic neutral character, I always seem to end up in chaotic good by midway through the game anyway. :|