Originally Posted by Abits
Originally Posted by kanisatha
This I cannot question because it is clearly a sincere post that is also well-stated and balanced and reasonable. Same with @MarbleNest's similar post. All I can do is to ask you guys specifically and others like you, why the need (compulsion?) to play a new game immediately upon release? WHy not simply adopt a gaming rule for yourself (as I have done) to wait a few months before diving into a new game? This is very much a sincere question.

I guess I would say the joke's on me for holding on to some seemingly long gone values when it comes to video games...

Owlcat have been very confident about their ability to release the game in a good state, and since they are a small studio full of passionate people I (foolishly) trusted they'll deliver the best experience possible.

But yeah, it's probably the last time I'm gonna do that.

The problem is not with me specifically though. The problem (which may be a lost battle at this point) is that even honest developers like Owlcat abuse people's enthusiasm and expectation and bank on them being forgiving provided they'll fix most stuff some months later. My comment was merely to (maybe pointlessly, but let's be fair we do it a lot here) express my big hate for this practice. And I'm in a bit of a bind because on the one hand I love owlcat games and want them to succeed, but on the other the whole deal just doesn't seem fair, especially when owlcat could have acted differently.

Yes, for me it was mostly enthusiasm and an assumption that, at the least, they would have ironed out the worst bugs - such as things that completely crash the game and make it impossible to progress something. I often expect most games to have at least that much testing done, but alas, as many recent AAA titles have shown, such an expectation is often useless in this day and age. It's a pity.

Though to their credit - or perhaps just my own luck - I did not run into nearly as many bugs or crashes as other people have reported experiencing. Gwerm's Mansion and starting the assault on Drezen are the only instances I've had of full crashing making it impossible to progress... one is just worse than the other, as it is the direct progression of the story vs. a side area for a companion. I've also not, to my knowledge, experienced many class-related bugs other than Life Link not working properly.

I think I will continue to support Owlcat's future endeavors, as they have clearly done better than Kingmaker's initial release seems to have gone - just yeah. I will learn to temper my enthusiasm and perhaps wait a little bit before playing their next title, whether or not I prepurchase.