Originally Posted by Street Hero
lowiqmem.jpg
I also have one comparison,

BG-3
39,237 review 88% on half baked alpha

WotR
3,253 review 81% on full released game

like it? )

I dunno, I think half of the BG3 fanbase gives off very uncomfortable overzealous fanboy vibes too. The subreddit itself is a testament to that. When the EA began, that sub's behavior towards any criticism was basically pre-release Cyberpunk community in cRPG form. I feel like there's still hints of it today, though I imagine it's died down in recent times as people have actually figured out for themselves via repeat playthroughs that BG3's issues are actually real and aren't a figment of the imagination of so-called haters.

Given how cRPGs usually go, I don't see BG3 staying that high. It is definitely not going to get the ratings that D:OS2 did, because as time goes on, it becomes more and more apparent that what really happened was that people went into D:OS2 with few expectations and got completely blown away. It got hailed as a game that revitalized a dying genre and turn-based gameplay style. But it's been a few years since and more people have reached the poorly balanced second half of the game that warranted a definitive edition overhaul, and people have gone to explore the cRPG genre and returned to find DOS2's writing to be lacking. cRPGs are no longer really a dying genre, and turn-based is suddenly in vogue again.

But the magical first impression effect is still there, and carrying over into the expectations for BG3. And now BG3 has to contend with people going in with expectations far too high, with people unironically calling Larian the next indie torchbearer after CDPR fell from grace to their hubris, combined with how people tend to feel that there's usually something fundamentally *wrong* with heavy RNG nature of DnD-type systems in general. Couple that with the increased cinematic approach that, while pretty, has potential weaknesses that didn't exist in DOS2. For example, I forsee a long term shitshow if BG3 somehow ships with unskippable cutscenes, combined with mini cutscenes for even talking to random NPCs. Such a thing won't bother people now, but imagine what happens when it's spread out into a 60+ hour RPG, and especially when the topic of repeat playthroughs come up too.

I've played the EA about 3 times now, and know I can safely alt-tab for a few minutes as soon as I reach the druid grove attack and Alfira's song, for instance.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 09/09/21 10:00 AM.