Originally Posted by iokus
If all you're expecting is a genre-shaking change with each new game, you're setting yourself up for disappointment just as badly as the hype train passengers. Sometimes "the same, but different" is perfectly fine.

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything genre-shaking with BG3, I'm just calling out how toxic the discourse tends to be when people compare Larian to any other cRPG developer these days. We've all already seen the overall tendency to get weirdly hyper defensive when certain legitimate flaws are pointed out in their games, compared to everyone else treating the flaws in the other cRPGs in a matter of fact way.

Reducing the other developers' efforts to little more than trying to sell nostalgia while simultaneously praising Larian for going in a new direction is a ridiculous and laughable statement to make given everything we know about BG3, especially how readily they are willing to transplant mechanics like the origin system and the so-called 'toilet chain' from their smash success hit into a different series entirely. Having it be this obvious bothers me by sheer principle, and I say this as someone with zero attachment to the original BG games.

Either way, the point is, people need to get a grip and tone down the developer fandom rhetoric, for it does nothing but breed resentment among the wider cRPG community.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 09/09/21 05:31 PM.