Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 45 of 105 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 104 105
stranger
stranger
I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in there about WotR, which I know isn't exactly the most popular opinion (at least on the Pathfinder sub). This game honestly shouldn't have been released so early. I've experienced nothing but game breaking bugs in every chapter, with pretty much every aspect of gameplay. I have at least 3 quests that I can't even complete because the game doesn't register certain Mythic path's choices, or because specific dialogue or enemies don't spawn. Sometimes dead enemies re-enter dialogue again and force you to go through their whole conversation before you're able to exit. The map designs are also really terrible, considering how faulty AI is and how for some reason Owlcat really likes to stick enemies in front of where you enter an area. There's just waaaaaaay too many times my Companions have gotten stuck behind each other in a narrow lane unable to do anything because of this sort of map design. The game, while fun, has been nothing but really terrible gameplay. All these bugs are more than I've experienced in the EA of BG3. I really don't know why people are excusing the Owlcat devs for this. There's just no excuse, honestly. Even other smaller time indie game devs have managed to make smoother running games.

Also, as a side note for anyone about to do Camellia's Companion quests (as non-spoilery as possible): be careful what you take (don't for a specific necklace.) Seriously. It will force your loads to run at an abysmal pace.

Originally Posted by Rhobar121
I'm already quite far in the game and just realized something. Since the beginning of the game, I have never been attacked while resting. I wonder if this mechanic even exists or the game is just lying.

It does exist, but it's only if you're sticking the wrong Companions into the wrong slots. The game seems to be pretty forgiving so long as you're not rolling poorly with disadvantages.

Last edited by fperry2; 20/09/21 11:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
I never had any expectation of there being a Baldur's Gate III, considering how definitively the last game ended, unless what you meant is a Baldur's Gate-like game.
Obsidian's canceled 'The Black Hound' game. wink

But yes, I too consider ToB to be a definitive and conclusive ending and was speaking of a BG-like game (and why I've questioned this game being titled BG3; would've been so much better, and likely have been less divisive within the fanbase, as a completely new IP).

apprentice
apprentice
Just a couple of word about WotR and BG-3
In WotR i realy enjoy this "long monumental gameplay" and large variation of companion. Oh, and your own castle!
Mythic paths - just smash me, beatiful visual change on your charather - just awesome!
It weel be cool, if BG we see something similar @__@
For me, allways good, if my charather changes after realy important moment, not only in storyline, but visual to.
<3

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by fperry2
I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in there about WotR, which I know isn't exactly the most popular opinion (at least on the Pathfinder sub). This game honestly shouldn't have been released so early. I've experienced nothing but game breaking bugs in every chapter, with pretty much every aspect of gameplay. I have at least 3 quests that I can't even complete because the game doesn't register certain Mythic path's choices, or because specific dialogue or enemies don't spawn. Sometimes dead enemies re-enter dialogue again and force you to go through their whole conversation before you're able to exit. The map designs are also really terrible, considering how faulty AI is and how for some reason Owlcat really likes to stick enemies in front of where you enter an area. There's just waaaaaaay too many times my Companions have gotten stuck behind each other in a narrow lane unable to do anything because of this sort of map design. The game, while fun, has been nothing but really terrible gameplay. All these bugs are more than I've experienced in the EA of BG3. I really don't know why people are excusing the Owlcat devs for this. There's just no excuse, honestly. Even other smaller time indie game devs have managed to make smoother running games.
It's quite similar to how Kingmaker's release was. The patches break new things even as they fix bugs. Recent patch introduced a bug where the crusade stats won't progress. And it's a good thing that I tend to avoid romances in games, because romancing Sosiel or Daeran can break your savegame in Act V. laugh

journeyman
journeyman
Tbf new patches almost always break new things. It's the sad reality of fixing bugs. Your point is well taken, though.

Last edited by MyriadHappenings; 21/09/21 07:27 PM.

“But his mind saw nothing of all this. His mind was engaged in a warfare of the gods. His mind paced outwards over no-man's-land, over the fields of the slain, paced to the rhythm of the blood's red bugles. To be alone and evil! To be a god at bay. What was more absolute?”
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by fperry2

This has been my experience as well. They were extremely unethical to release the game in this state. The only good news is that the steam reviews keep dropping

D
addict
Online Content
addict
D
Originally Posted by polliwagwhirl
This has been my experience as well. They were extremely unethical to release the game in this state. The only good news is that the steam reviews keep dropping

Do you have a source on that? My recollection is that every time I've checked (including just now) its around 80% positive.

If you click through to the graph it shows the raw numbers of positive vs negative each day, and the magnitude does drop, but that's going to be true for every game... as the buzz dies fewer people review (its true for BG3 for instance).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dwig

Do you have a source on that? My recollection is that every time I've checked (including just now) its around 80% positive.

If you click through to the graph it shows the raw numbers of positive vs negative each day, and the magnitude does drop, but that's going to be true for every game... as the buzz dies fewer people review (its true for BG3 for instance).
You are correct. Seems like a few people have some sort of unjustified axe to grind against Owlcat.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Seems like a few people have some sort of unjustified axe to grind against Owlcat.
It's completely justified, because WOTR was released unfinished. There are tons of horrible bugs, a huge amount of class abilities aren't implemented, even the level 1 class features don't work for many classes. Multiple mythic paths are broken (Aeon). The game is in an early access state at best.

Do you have a source on that?
Last 7 days of reviews average 76%. It should have been around that from the beginning considering that the game is not finished.
https://i.imgur.com/YOV0aul.jpg

veteran
veteran
Probably because more people reach the buggy end of the game.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Seems like a few people have some sort of unjustified axe to grind against Owlcat.
It's completely justified, because WOTR was released unfinished. There are tons of horrible bugs, a huge amount of class abilities aren't implemented, even the level 1 class features don't work for many classes. Multiple mythic paths are broken (Aeon). The game is in an early access state at best.

Do you have a source on that?
Last 7 days of reviews average 76%. It should have been around that from the beginning considering that the game is not finished.
https://i.imgur.com/YOV0aul.jpg

lol, you had to really stretch to get that under 80% eh? Good lord man, if you don't like the game fine, but let's not pretend that it wasn't successful and that a lot of people enjoyed it.

here, let me try: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tdUQeaJu7Lyi8pr9anyiPXVkWN4EahYR/view?usp=sharing AMAZING! the data backs up what I say now!

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
lol, you had to really stretch to get that under 80% eh?
The question was whether or not the review scores are dropping over time. Yes, they are.

D
addict
Online Content
addict
D
If you zoom in on individual days there are fluctuations up and down. Eyeballing it, I'm willing to believe that there has been a decline, but there is also a reasonable chance that it is simply a statistical fluctuation. More time will tell.

WotR is still doing better (approval wise) that Kingmaker at this same time in its life.

For what it is worth, I have not encountered game stopping bugs in either game, and I did play kingmaker at release too (not trying to claim they don't exist! they just don't affect everybody).

Last edited by dwig; 21/09/21 11:34 PM.
R
old hand
old hand
R
The game is completely broke. It's nice that they managed to break more things than fix them last patch. At the moment you cannot develop crusade normally because you don't get experience other than logistics, which means that you are blocked with edicts.
Luckily, you can edit save to fix it somehow, but it's still annoying.

D
addict
Online Content
addict
D
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
The game is completely broke. It's nice that they managed to break more things than fix them last patch. At the moment you cannot develop crusade normally because you don't get experience other than logistics, which means that you are blocked with edicts.
Luckily, you can edit save to fix it somehow, but it's still annoying.

Completely broke is hyperbole. People have finished it, so it is not completely broken. You have some other valid points, but exaggerating like this really lowers the weight of your arguments in my opinion. I recognize that this is how people talk on the internet, but that doesn't make it an effective and useful communication strategy.

Some people may have finished it, but it''s hard to feel confident that you'll be able to finish it with your builds and plot choices--and that makes continuing to invest time in the game as it now exists a difficult choice. Overall, I'd say that somewhat fewer classes and and subclasses better implemented and omitting the crusade mechanics would have freed up resources to produce a solider, better balanced game that I would have enjoyed more, while still providing an interesting playground for experimenting with builds. Certainly the hours I've invested in WotR haven't persuaded me to buy Kingmaker.

D
addict
Online Content
addict
D
@Imryll I buy that. I'm just saying its a grotesque exaggeration to call a game completely broken when people can finish it. I have 155 hours into it, and I have yet to encounter a game stopper (however, I have restarted many many times, so have not moved to the end game anyway). That's 155 hours of reasonable enjoyment, so I got my money's worth, even if I never finish it.

I can say the same about BG3 (161 hours played so far) even though I do complain about some mechanics. That much time invested means I got a pretty good return for my entertainment dollar.

Fewer classes and options probably would increase the appeal of WotR to a general audience, but I would argue that it would reduce the appeal to Owlcat's core audience, which is mostly pathfinder nerds. Hard to say whether they made the right choice from an economic standpoint, but there are only so many games that can hit home runs for a general audience, so putting in material for the base might be the smarter move in this case.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Just finished my first playthrough, Paladin / Angel Mythic Path on Core + (enabled additional enemies + additional behaviours). It took 250 hours according to Steam. I'd say 200 of that is real playtime. Around 10-15 hours is due to bugs (had to replay a lot of chapter 4 due to respec + progression bugs). 20-30 hours of playing with choice and consequences, theory crafting with the respec tool, the rest probably me just leaving it on.

Still soaking it in. I thoroughly enjoyed it despite it being very flawed in many ways. Will write a review once I gather my thoughts.

I think the best way I can describe the game right now is - imagine if your mom tried cooking you a dinner based on a super fancy 3x Michelin Star dish. There are tons of technical errors and imperfections compared to the polished version of the dish, but the vision is there and you also know and can feel how it's been made with tons of love and effort.

Last edited by Topgoon; 22/09/21 09:24 PM.
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Topgoon
I think the best way I can describe the game right now is - imagine if your mom tried cooking you a dinner based on a super fancy 3x Michelin Star dish. There are tons of technical errors and imperfections compared to the polished version of the dish, but the vision is there and you also know and can feel how it's been made with tons of love and effort.

... That is ... Surprisingly accurate, actually. *slow clap*

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
A
apprentice
apprentice
A

You are correct. Seems like a few people have some sort of unjustified axe to grind against Owlcat.

I think the axe is justified when Owlcat didn't drop the management system. The game would have been far more enjoyable if it was dropped or if was only left as a mini-game that you could ignore completely. Also the game was released in a buggy state where it should have stayed in EA longer.

Last edited by Alealexi; 23/09/21 01:55 AM.
Page 45 of 105 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 104 105

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard