Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
...a good DM should be very wary about using these types of spells against players.

Oh my goodness, I don't think I could disagree more. This is an issue of personal taste. It's basically a player saying, "I prefer a DM who does it this way." That's certainly fine, but it doesn't speak for all players, and it doesn't define whether a DM is good or bad in a universal sense. From my perspective, these things exist in the game, and I accept that they will be used, both to the players' benefit and detriment, depending.
Players who are hit by these abilities play less of the game. Sure, I guess you can have a personal taste that "playing less of the game is fun", but at that point I would question why you're playing the game at all?

I'm not arguing that there should never be turn-losing abilities used on the players. But these should not happen frequently - slipping on ice shouldn't cause you to lose your turn and low-level enemies (goblins) shouldn't have weapon abilities/maneuvers that make you lose your turn.

Especially slipping on ice. At least for many of the other options (sleep, hold person, frightened), your allies can help end the effect on you by breaking the casters' concentration/waking you up/removing your fear. Prone = unconscious = losing the rest of your turn is just purely a 'fuck you.'