Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Voted for the hospital this time! The Blushing Mermaid was ahead when I voted, which sounds good, too!

Clearly I’m way too unobservant to be a detective as until you said that I hadn’t even noticed those running percentages eek.

Interesting to see such a high proportion voting for the pub when here we seem to be fairly unanimous in favour of the hospital.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Voted for the hospital this time! The Blushing Mermaid was ahead when I voted, which sounds good, too!

Clearly I’m way too unobservant to be a detective as until you said that I hadn’t even noticed those running percentages eek.

Interesting to see such a high proportion voting for the pub when here we seem to be fairly unanimous in favour of the hospital.

I thought about that also.

Then I considered the text in The Canary Lane. It steers folks toward the Blushing Mermaid by mentioning the location. But there's no mention of the Hospital.

What's surprising, I think, is that the Hospital percentage is doing as well as it is.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by JandK

I thought about that also.

Then I considered the text in The Canary Lane. It steers folks toward the Blushing Mermaid by mentioning the location. But there's no mention of the Hospital.

Oh yes! Good point. The rationale for going to the hospital is hidden in the new text added to the bottom of the Sailor’s Crossing location and as sublimeclown mentioned it’s easy enough to miss that, or perhaps just to focus on where the new location is leading us.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
stranger
stranger
Werewolf urchin (or urchin with some sort of STR boost) interrupted in the robbery came back to finish the job? Okay, okay, it's unlikely I grant grin.

I think my problem is, particularly given the magic swirling around Baldur's Gate, is that I can make some sort of story to justify almost any choice, and my real world instincts about what is most plausible don't feel trustworthy in this context. Not that I imagine I'd be a particularly good detective IRL either.

I do agree we're being fairly firmly steered towards the Blushing Mermaid. And, if it's correct that's the location we've seen a few times in the recent trailers, Larian are going to want us to be introduced to it, so hopefully there's not too much risk that option will time out like the retching man.

But you still skipping an important clue. Say you are right about a werewolf urchin (for this example) Why would they thrust an anchor through someone? If they had that strength they could snap a person like a twig. There are so many ways to kill a person. magical or not. Why was an anchor used? This is why I suspect it could be a revenge thing, someone sending a message to another group. maybe the elf stole from pirates, there are lots of potential scenarios. But using an anchor seems wildly deliberate. This is why I wanted to go to Admirals Way

My hope is that the hospital may offer more insight. But it's sitting at 44% now, so probably another time-sensitive option we'll miss.

Edit: apparently the forums don't want me to quote? even though it looks fine in the preview.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Interitus
Why would they thrust an anchor through someone? If they had that strength they could snap a person like a twig. There are so many ways to kill a person. magical or not. Why was an anchor used? … snip …
Edit: apparently the forums don't want me to quote? even though it looks fine in the preview.

I’m sure you’re right that the anchor is going to turn out to be significant, but also that there are various stories that could be told about why. Some sort of message is indeed a possibility, and if so there might be other similar crimes in the past associated with the same group. I’m keeping my mind as open as possible at this stage!

And I have no idea why your quotes aren’t working. That is peculiar. If you don’t mind I could try editing and saving your post using my mod privileges to see if it works for me? I wouldn’t actually change anything.

And now let me see if my quote works. Clearly those a bit earlier in the thread did …

veteran
veteran
An anchor?

Something to do with Umberlee, maybe? Shrug, I don't know.

L
addict
addict
L
Clearly the killer is very aggressive and angry.

He needs to be sent for Anchor Management counselling?

addict
addict

Maybe it is not so bad a choice. Chances are the retching man (who is later labeled "The Sailor", but how did we find out he is a sailor?) can be found in the Mermaid.

Would it be possible we are the murderer ?

Maybe we are not aware that we may loose awareness and become a form of Slayer (Bhaal are you here ?).
The footprints in the blood would then be those of the urchin thief.

Though I would prefer this murder leads us toward the 3rd chosen of the Absolute

enthusiast
enthusiast

My reasoning is that the body is not going to move from there while, if we hurry, we may find some witnesses at the pub before the trail goes cold. This is why I have cast my vote there laugh

Last edited by Sharet; 22/06/23 03:03 PM.
addict
addict
How do we read the letter in our inventory? Should we even have it?

Back from timeout.
stranger
stranger
And I have no idea why your quotes aren’t working. That is peculiar. If you don’t mind I could try editing and saving your post using my mod privileges to see if it works for me? I wouldn’t actually change anything.

And now let me see if my quote works. Clearly those a bit earlier in the thread did …

You can try editing my quotes to see if that works, I don't mind.

I again voted for the hospital.
The two other murders seem rather tame, and regardless, the bodies would have been taken to the hospital so we get the same information there.
I currently don't see any reason to chase after a thief for a murder investigation, the bartender said as much
The meat merchant feels like another red herring

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Interitus
You can try editing my quotes to see if that works, I don't mind.

Most peculiar. All I did was press Edit then Save changes (I didn't actually change anything) and the quotes look fine. If you want to PM me with details of the browser you're using then I can look into whether there might be any known compatibility issues.

With respect to the investigation, yes I still want to go to the hospital. I feel like we need to know more about this murder before we hare off after other killings or mystery meat, or indeed follow up the background of the rude guard. Or chase down the thief though for that I think we need to open the letter and, as far as I can tell, we can't and maybe need to wait to be told what it says tomorrow? The fact that the urchin who handed it to us seems to be connected to the "one you're investigating" and also had the coin pouch stolen by Magpie makes me wonder if the theft is connected to the murder after all, but I think we need to read the letter before following that up further.

Does anyone have any theories about the strange magic we sensed when talking to the urchin? A disguise spell? Were they trying to detect our thoughts or charm us in some way (didn't feel like the latter from the dialogue)?

veteran
veteran
I have to wonder if all of the information they're giving us is pertienent or if they are actual red herrings in the mix, like the gossip around exotic meat being sold at the market.

I'm also guessing our conversation with "The Sailor" might have given us a reason for visiting the shine of Illmater, unless I missed something.

Learning that there have been two other murders in the last ten days, excuse men, tenday, is also one of those things that is either clearly connected or totally unrealated.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if there is a fail state for this investigation.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Sozz
I have to wonder if all of the information they're giving us is pertienent or if they are actual red herrings in the mix, like the gossip around exotic meat being sold at the market.

I'm also guessing our conversation with "The Sailor" might have given us a reason for visiting the shine of Illmater, unless I missed something.

Learning that there have been two other murders in the last ten days, excuse men, tenday, is also one of those things that is either clearly connected or totally unrealated.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if there is a fail state for this investigation.

I'm hoping that the game is rigged such that we'll get there in the end no matter what, and the votes just determine the route we take. And perhaps how many folk die while we pop to the pub grin.

The Shrine of Ilmater was the lead we picked up when we went back to Sailor's Crossing to find the guards had removed the body. One bullying one had blood on his boot and tunic (perhaps unsurprising as he said he'd moved the body to the morgue), and a red tattooed braid on his risk that looked like the symbol of Ilmater.

With respect to whether all information is pertinent, perhaps this is a sort of Tav's Holistic Detective Agency and everything will end up being connected. (Perhaps there's an illegal monster meat racket being run by a gang that employs thieving urchins and operating out of the basement of the Shrine of Ilmater that our dead elven bard crossed somehow.) My guess is that at the very least, each location we go to will open up an avenue of of investigation that might get us where we need to go, however circuitously.

veteran
veteran
More murders would be enough of a failstate to qualify.

Thanks for telling me the old locations changed, I hadn't even looked back there.

If everything is connected, I'll have to get my corkboard out and some yarn.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Sozz
Thanks for telling me the old locations changed, I hadn't even looked back there.

Fortunately, I think the game will tell us when they do change. If you look in the notifications for today, for example, there’s a task to return to Canary Lane (headed “Continue your investigation”, and yesterday we had one to go back to Sailor’s Crossing. There’s new text with a new date tag with some updates in each case.

I admit I’ve not checked back to see if there’s text added to other locations without us being told, though. Hopefully not, as it could get quite a chore to read back as the number of locations increases!

old hand
old hand
Time to go to the morgue it seems, as other leads are quite uncertain.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Hurrah! Looks like the morgue is on 61% compared to 19% for the next competitor, so hope we'll get to go there.

By the way, unless things have changed significantly in the 15 years since, which of course they might, and if the Blood in Baldur's Gate map reflects the BG3 city map, as I hope it does at least roughly, then it looks to me as though Wolfheart's suggestion that inn with the boat sticking out of it in the trailer might have been the Blushing Mermaid, that I actually found reasonably convincing, is wrong. I'm back to my original theory that it's the Low Lantern and has been built up over the years. As far as I'm able to tell from the vids (which is not very far) it looks as though it might be roughly in the right place. Though I'm not sure what that would make the square, fortified-looking building near it in the trailer. It looks to be roughly where there was a warehouse in BG1 if the boat inn is the Low Lantern.

And I'm struggling to get my bearings properly in the Blood in Baldur's Gate map too. There are buildings I'd expect to be identifiable by their shape, such as Sorcerous Sundries, the Harbourmaster's Office and the Water Queen's House that I'm not sure I can pick out.

Is anyone else having any more luck? Or even trying grin.

By the way, unless things have changed significantly in the 15 years since, which of course they might, and if the Blood in Baldur's Gate map reflects the BG3 city map, as I hope it does at least roughly, then it looks to me as though Wolfheart's suggestion that inn with the boat sticking out of it in the trailer might have been the Blushing Mermaid, that I actually found reasonably convincing, is wrong. I'm back to my original theory that it's the Low Lantern and has been built up over the years. As far as I'm able to tell from the vids (which is not very far) it looks as though it might be roughly in the right place. Though I'm not sure what that would make the square, fortified-looking building near it in the trailer. It looks to be roughly where there was a warehouse in BG1 if the boat inn is the Low Lantern.

And I'm struggling to get my bearings properly in the Blood in Baldur's Gate map too. There are buildings I'd expect to be identifiable by their shape, such as Sorcerous Sundries, the Harbourmaster's Office and the Water Queen's House that I'm not sure I can pick out.

Is anyone else having any more luck? Or even trying grin.

This is a subject I am interested in. It is funny because two days before this mini game launch, I had opened the baldur's gate city map here : Detailed city map with the intention to review information about its main locations.
You will see it is the exact same map, with the name of many locations included. This is also the same map we find in the latest official version of Descent into Avernus. Descent into avernus anyflip p.172

The lead writer for Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus later confirmed that the adventure takes place in 1492 DR, and the sequel to the adventure, Baldur's Gate III, also claims that the current year is 1492 DR in multiple places. source : source

I wish the boat sticking out is the Lower Lantern, but in 1492, the Low Lantern is said to be in the water (we could imagine that in a matter of months, and with some magic, it has moved on solid ground, because it is said to desperately need some repair, why not). In the trailer, just before we see the boat/inn, Swen says : "you have to make sure [the City] is different, so you have to be incredibly creative" and then they show it to illustrate : so it can be a whole new place, or a place we know with a new design.

As for Sorcerous Sundries, it appears at the same location on all these maps, but always tiny, not as tall as it should be when we see it life size.

When I look at the full trailer of the city and pause, 0,20s' , we see the water on the right, but also Sorcerous Sundries & Duskhawk hill. If it was Low Lantern (and if its new location was near to the former), water should be on the left (otherwise, we would not be able to see Sorcerous Sundries and the Upper City, it would be in our back).

I hope this message clear, english is not at all my native language.

Last edited by Lunar Dante; 23/06/23 01:16 PM.
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard