Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by robertthebard
if that's how you want to play it..
I feel we will disagree on many things smile , but by principle, if a feature can be skipped or ignored and isn't designed to be a skippable minigame (like Gwent), then it's a bad feature that probably shouldn't be in the game.

I think you also pointed out an issue - someone who well manages resources and doesn't spam rests, can miss major story content because of that. So pacing your own rests isn't exactly trivial - you rest too often, and you might triviliaze encounter by spamming powerful spells that should be limited in use. Don't do that and you can miss story content. I am in the same camp. There is lots of companion and follower stuff I haven't seen, because I just don't rest often enough. That's not great.

In this case, however, I don't blame Larian. I think it is clever to include story content in camp - makes it feel more like part of the game. But it is awkward balancing act, otherwise one can ask, why resting or spells-per-rest are a thing to begin with. "Story content at camp" indicator might be some kind of a solution.

I don't mind disagreeing, forum conversations would be really boring if everyone just agreed all the time.

However, with some resource management, LRs can be skipped, by design, or, maybe the better term is (self) limited. But the primary argument for this kind of thing is the opposite, and having it be abused. Since I don't abuse it, I miss out on a lot of stuff I shouldn't be able to miss out on, comp/tadpole interactions being my primary examples. I've seen more of them on YouTube than I have in game. This is a double edged sword, however. I don't see the need to continually revamp the rest system because I simply don't abuse it, but I do miss out on things that are rather important for character development and driving the stories forward. Stories because it's companion and the actual game. In swtor, comps will get one of two "we need to talk" icons on their portraits, one for "in any tavern/SH" and another for "on the ship". Comps already get quest markers, they just need to expand that to "go to camp, so we can talk" some kind of way, even if it's just adding a quest marker to show they need to talk, and if you talk to them where ever you are, they can say "Can we do this in camp" or something. I do agree that camp should be important, they just need to add clues that I have to go there, especially if I'm not having issues managing my resources, or don't feel the need to abuse the LR system.