Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 29 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Well, I am actually slightly worried about that (namely, verticality in puzzles/exploration).
Surprisingly ...
Im not.

Fextralive talked very highly about them, so i presume it was interesting and pleasant experience ... either that, or he is much more polite person than i am, bcs IF i would struggle somewhere as i did in Patch 1 in spider cavern, i would talk about it for at least half hour ... and not even single word of it would be polite. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
The fact that we are even talking about a "5e mod" for BG3 is honestly rather irritating. A "DOS mod" would be a more understandable request, which could unlock everything, let everyone cast spells from scrolls, cast two Fireballs per turn and remove multiclassing restrictions. Oh, wait..

I was still expecting a faithful Core Rules difficulty setting, like in every other D&D CRPG, but of course Larian knows better. We will get Tactician mode where enemies have more fire arrows and more explosive barrels on the battlefield. Actual tactics and being rewarded for good party compositions and resource management, not so much. "Challenge" will come in the form of thunder arrow spam to push you into lava.

It wasn't unreasonable to expect a D&D title to actually play like D&D. Sucks I just don't like the majority of Larian's gameplay ideas and fixations I guess.

Last edited by 1varangian; 12/07/23 11:20 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by 1varangian
The fact that we are even talking about a "5e mod" for BG3 is honestly rather irritating. A "DOS mod" would be a more understandable request, which could unlock everything, let everyone cast spells from scrolls, cast two Fireballs per turn and remove multiclassing restrictions. Oh, wait..

I was still expecting a faithful Core Rules difficulty setting, like in every other D&D CRPG, but of course Larian knows better. We will get Tactician mode where enemies have more fire arrows and more explosive barrels on the battlefield. Actual tactics and being rewarded for good party compositions and resource management, not so much. "Challenge" will come in the form of thunder arrow spam to push you into lava.

It wasn't unreasonable to expect a D&D title to actually play like D&D. Sucks I just don't like the majority of Larian's gameplay ideas and fixations I guess.
Core difficulty settings rarely turn out well. Just look at the pathfinder games.

Its not a table top simulator. If you want that you could get table top simulator.

Its a game set in the d&d universe that's trying to make its gameplay appealing to the widest audience possible.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Core settings in Pathfinder games are dodgy because OwlCat ALSO thought that the pen&paper was too bland and that it was their job to spice it up, incidentally.

If they actually went for "tabletop simulator" , the ridiculous stat bloat that harms their design philosophy wouldn't be a thing and a lot of issues with both games would be implicitly solved.

Last edited by Tuco; 12/07/23 11:58 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by zanos
Echoing some of Tuco's sentiments, I think there are a few issues with some of these recent changes:

First, I'm completely baffled that they chose to make these changes so late into the game with release looming, not thinking that having EA users playtest them for balance purposes would be prudent. It feels more like a last minute big change to rope in as many illusory casuals as they can to boost sales.

Second, sometimes too much choice actually impacts replayability. I have played the BG saga on and off every couple years since they released. I have not done this with D:OS2 or D:OS1, I have played them each a couple times from start to finish. I directly attribute this to having too much freedom, why would I make a new game and try out someone else when I can respec whenever I want and try out a build for a handful of hours? It seems pointless to go through the entire storyline to get a taste of what that feels like. If a player's race is arbitrary and the extent of it is only a handful of dialogue options that occasionally creep up in conversation and it has little to do with a much more permanent experience when paired with a class, then what is the point of having multiple runs with different races other than for cosmetic reasons? I realize this point is all about player preference and is subjective, but I do feel that having too much freedom and too many choices actually can genuinely detract from a game's longevity. It's no small wonder that some of the games with the simplest rulesets have been popular for as long as they have, and games that are far too busy have not.

To pivot off of point two, I do see that these changes will have an impact on the game's longevity and I am welcome to eat my words, but making things work within the confines of a fixed ruleset has been shown time and time again to increase replayability, encourage experimentation and develop a true cult following that can last for years. The fact that people are genuinely excited that Amazon released BG2 for free is a testament to this, while the amount of people currently playing D:OS2 has dropped off in the ensuing years.

I understand that Larian is primarily concerned with telling a great story, and I know they will with this game. But I sometimes feel they view mechanics as just a sandbox experience to tinker with to create fleeting memorable moments with humor and wackiness, and sometimes forget that those same mechanics, in a game, often can contribute to a much more lasting impression in terms of a game's longevity and ability to hold interest. I do believe all of these changes will severely impact replayability as someone has mentioned. And while the chief criticism of opposing parties is, 'well then...just don't pick it' is disingenuous, simply because, fine, they want to create more choices and freedom? Give me an option that holds true to the ruleset as an option, and offer another option for people that want something else. But it seems they have overridden that option in favor of creating more choice with less structure, which, in itself, is creating less choice.

I was super excited when they announced the release date a month early, and was genuinely thinking about all the different playthroughs I would be doing to experience all the different branching paths, classes, and different companions and experiences, but if everything is customizable, I simply don't see the amount of playthroughs exceeding a small discrete amount, simply because I can change everything on the fly and experience more within one playthrough, less is sometimes more...shocker. And given this game was literally advertised as having SO MUCH to see, do, explore, choose, and experiment with, these last minute changes simply seem to say, "well, actually you can just see, explore, choose, and experiment with most of these things in a single playthrough, so why bother with more? Want to try out that gloomstalker/rogue/fighter combo for 2 hours? go for it, want to switch it up and try out the tempest/storm cleric/sorcerer? Give it a taste. After all, it's literally only 100gp to completely change everything there is to change about someone except their race, and that's only to keep a couple dialogue options consistent."

And point three, this game was marketed as two things, a spiritual successor to a much beloved series, and a genuine attempt to create a genuine tabletop experience in a video game, even more so than its predecessors. And while I have agreed, somewhat, with some of the changes they've made along the way in keeping with the rule of cool, and creating a more polished experience, it seems like they've suddenly decided to go off the deep end at the 11th hour, which just so happened to coincide with all the recent press interest. "Oh, now we got them roped in, let's just throw caution to the wind." They have pretty much gone back on what they promised, which is unfortunate to say the least.

So all in all, I am perfectly fine if they want to add choices, but where is the choice for those of us that like to experience more in terms of a more robust structure, knowing full well that having that structure is likely to create many more possibilities than the illusion of endless choice can provide?
Thanks for a well thought out, well articulated post.

I don't think the Larian gameplay design team understand RPG's, or gets why the class system, item system or resting system of D&D is great. They want to give you a familiar fast food gaming experience full of modern tropes like itemization, constant gear upgrades, instant gratification in the form of free respeccing, puzzle combat and flood you with micro-progress. They just don't get how the "videogamey" parts or meme combat moves undermine the storytelling of a serious story-driven RPG, or how less could ever be more.

The biggest flaw of BG3 imo is the dissonance between gameplay and storytelling, like they are making two different games. Writers want to present Nere as a Darth Vader type sinister and serious villain, and gameplay team wants you to be able to hilariously slap him into lava in an exaggerated arc when dialogue ends. Writers want to go deep with characters like Wyll and really explore what making a pact with a devil means, while gameplay team wants you to be able to respec him into a Bard because Bards have fun abilities. Writers want to craft a serious story about giving in to dark temptations and murder but gameplay team wants inconsequential death and incinerated PC's teleported back to camp for a cheap rez.

I get the feeling they have been fighting the D&D system until the very end of development and never truly embraced it. That would explain the late changes to major features. They don't believe in D&D or understand why it would be such a breath of fresh air with 99% of games still suffering from MMO PTSD and trying to become them even when they are not massively multiplayer.

I also fear I will be completely let down by the gameplay of BG3 and that it will kill all replayability value the game might otherwise have.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by zanos
Echoing some of Tuco's sentiments, I think there are a few issues with some of these recent changes:

First, I'm completely baffled that they chose to make these changes so late into the game with release looming, not thinking that having EA users playtest them for balance purposes would be prudent. It feels more like a last minute big change to rope in as many illusory casuals as they can to boost sales.

Second, sometimes too much choice actually impacts replayability. I have played the BG saga on and off every couple years since they released. I have not done this with D:OS2 or D:OS1, I have played them each a couple times from start to finish. I directly attribute this to having too much freedom, why would I make a new game and try out someone else when I can respec whenever I want and try out a build for a handful of hours? It seems pointless to go through the entire storyline to get a taste of what that feels like. If a player's race is arbitrary and the extent of it is only a handful of dialogue options that occasionally creep up in conversation and it has little to do with a much more permanent experience when paired with a class, then what is the point of having multiple runs with different races other than for cosmetic reasons? I realize this point is all about player preference and is subjective, but I do feel that having too much freedom and too many choices actually can genuinely detract from a game's longevity. It's no small wonder that some of the games with the simplest rulesets have been popular for as long as they have, and games that are far too busy have not.

To pivot off of point two, I do see that these changes will have an impact on the game's longevity and I am welcome to eat my words, but making things work within the confines of a fixed ruleset has been shown time and time again to increase replayability, encourage experimentation and develop a true cult following that can last for years. The fact that people are genuinely excited that Amazon released BG2 for free is a testament to this, while the amount of people currently playing D:OS2 has dropped off in the ensuing years.

I understand that Larian is primarily concerned with telling a great story, and I know they will with this game. But I sometimes feel they view mechanics as just a sandbox experience to tinker with to create fleeting memorable moments with humor and wackiness, and sometimes forget that those same mechanics, in a game, often can contribute to a much more lasting impression in terms of a game's longevity and ability to hold interest. I do believe all of these changes will severely impact replayability as someone has mentioned. And while the chief criticism of opposing parties is, 'well then...just don't pick it' is disingenuous, simply because, fine, they want to create more choices and freedom? Give me an option that holds true to the ruleset as an option, and offer another option for people that want something else. But it seems they have overridden that option in favor of creating more choice with less structure, which, in itself, is creating less choice.

I was super excited when they announced the release date a month early, and was genuinely thinking about all the different playthroughs I would be doing to experience all the different branching paths, classes, and different companions and experiences, but if everything is customizable, I simply don't see the amount of playthroughs exceeding a small discrete amount, simply because I can change everything on the fly and experience more within one playthrough, less is sometimes more...shocker. And given this game was literally advertised as having SO MUCH to see, do, explore, choose, and experiment with, these last minute changes simply seem to say, "well, actually you can just see, explore, choose, and experiment with most of these things in a single playthrough, so why bother with more? Want to try out that gloomstalker/rogue/fighter combo for 2 hours? go for it, want to switch it up and try out the tempest/storm cleric/sorcerer? Give it a taste. After all, it's literally only 100gp to completely change everything there is to change about someone except their race, and that's only to keep a couple dialogue options consistent."

And point three, this game was marketed as two things, a spiritual successor to a much beloved series, and a genuine attempt to create a genuine tabletop experience in a video game, even more so than its predecessors. And while I have agreed, somewhat, with some of the changes they've made along the way in keeping with the rule of cool, and creating a more polished experience, it seems like they've suddenly decided to go off the deep end at the 11th hour, which just so happened to coincide with all the recent press interest. "Oh, now we got them roped in, let's just throw caution to the wind." They have pretty much gone back on what they promised, which is unfortunate to say the least.

So all in all, I am perfectly fine if they want to add choices, but where is the choice for those of us that like to experience more in terms of a more robust structure, knowing full well that having that structure is likely to create many more possibilities than the illusion of endless choice can provide?

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I was so excited about this game and then all of a sudden all this recent news has really put a damper on that. It comes off like they've been hiding some of this stuff until the last minute too, considering the controversial nature of the matter, which doesn't sit well with me. They still haven't officially mentioned anything about spell progression with multiclassing. I can only hope they can hear some of the outcry on that and decide to leave it unchanged to ensure multiclassing has some kind of opportunity cost.

Last edited by Emberwild; 13/07/23 12:24 AM.
I don't think the Larian gameplay design team understand RPG's, or gets why the class system, item system or resting system of D&D is great. They want to give you a familiar fast food gaming experience full of modern tropes like itemization, constant gear upgrades, instant gratification in the form of free respeccing, puzzle combat and flood you with micro-progress. They just don't get how the "videogamey" parts or meme combat moves undermine the storytelling of a serious story-driven RPG, or how less could ever be more.

The biggest flaw of BG3 imo is the dissonance between gameplay and storytelling, like they are making two different games. Writers want to present Nere as a Darth Vader type sinister and serious villain, and gameplay team wants you to be able to hilariously slap him into lava in an exaggerated arc when dialogue ends. Writers want to go deep with characters like Wyll and really explore what making a pact with a devil means, while gameplay team wants you to be able to respec him into a Bard because Bards have fun abilities. Writers want to craft a serious story about giving in to dark temptations and murder but gameplay team wants inconsequential death and incinerated PC's teleported back to camp for a cheap rez.

I get the feeling they have been fighting the D&D system until the very end of development and never truly embraced it. That would explain the late changes to major features. They don't believe in D&D or understand why it would be such a breath of fresh air with 99% of games still suffering from MMO PTSD and trying to become them even when they are not massively multiplayer.

I also fear I will be completely let down by the gameplay of BG3 and that it will kill all replayability value the game might otherwise have.
What you said about the story and gameplay creating disjointed atmosphere does make me worry too because even from the gameplays they showed I do not feel like it is a story I will be able to take 100% seriously. The same problem I had in DOS2 where the overall atmosphere of the game just made me take the story far less seriously and overall made my experience worse. They can make a very good story here, I can tell, but I wish they were able to hold themselves back so I can take it seriously and feel that it's great. WOTR to me did that well with paths like Lich and Swarm that Walks, you do feel this very dark atmosphere in those both from gameplay and story standpoint. You feel the darkness surrounding you. How everyone is afraid of you. How more powerful you become and this power slowly becoming addicting with how convenient everything becomes. A slow burn of your cause becoming an undead army. In here I can tell they try that, but the overall atmosphere of the game and how it is made can really be a detriment to that. It will be hard to enjoy this story if I will be constantly taken out of the experience.

journeyman
journeyman

Yeah, this nails it. I was trying to put my finger on it, but now recalling the increased seriousness of some of the D:OS2 plot interspersed with the wacky follow-up in the battle scenarios really drives this point home. While the combat in BG3 is definitely less wacky, the recent design decisions they've made certainly have angled it into that direction. "Oh, I'm having issues with this battle after this serious dialogue with the ominous tone and just recently picked up this specific uber bard item, off to Withers I go!"

Last edited by zanos; 13/07/23 01:41 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by ladydub
I regret that all those resources were spent on woke stuff and breaking dnd rules, when they could’ve been allocated towards actual game design (combat encounters, side quests, world design)

Sigh

You should have seen the budget for Bear sex and realistic testicle physics.

Just imagine, it was someone's job at Larian to stare at testicles all day to make sure they jiggled correctly.

Now I want to respec my career.
What’s the starting salary for virtual testicle physicist?
The Glassdoor app can give you a ball park figure...

enthusiast
enthusiast
So, since this thread seems to be about multiclassing... im curious, in 5E, your level in a class decides when you get a feat, for example if im level 2rogue, and level 3 fighter, i wouldent have got a feat yet, as in DnD 5e, its tied to having 4levels in a class...and giving you a feat every four... so the franken build of muticlassing as 12 classes wouldent in 5E get any feats... do anyone know how larian will handle this ?

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Aurora42
So, since this thread seems to be about multiclassing... im curious, in 5E, your level in a class decides when you get a feat, for example if im level 2rogue, and level 3 fighter, i wouldent have got a feat yet, as in DnD 5e, its tied to having 4levels in a class...and giving you a feat every four... so the franken build of muticlassing as 12 classes wouldent in 5E get any feats... do anyone know how larian will handle this ?

Yes, this seems to be the case. I’m not sure if many people realize this is how the game works. I’ve seen lots of people posting builds that are like 3/3/6 and wondering if they realize they are limiting themselves to 1 feat or stat boost. It’s for reasons like this that respecing is necessary.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Feats is a rather huge deal, and alot of people dosent realice some features isnt level dependent, but level in class, anouther is sneak attack... then again its allways a trade off... but as stated if larian keeps feats as 5e, its still a fairly restrikting measure... im kinda bumed they removed the 13 stat limiter as that helps people to not fall into this trap... then again for all we know feats could be tied to every 4 levels and not every 4 class levels... so i hope if anyone that tested the real stuff has any idea... couse its a kinda big deal lol... we are talking about loosing out on potentially 6 stat points...

I myself been pondering on a 8wiz, 1cleric(knowledge), 3bard(lore)... that make me loose one feat, but gain me basically all spells, speak with animals, and 4 expertise skills... id cram sorc into there for meta magic, but then id loose more feats... according to 5E... i can give up one feat, for bascially playing a Theurg

Last edited by Aurora42; 13/07/23 06:41 AM.
T
T
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Yes, this seems to be the case. I’m not sure if many people realize this is how the game works. I’ve seen lots of people posting builds that are like 3/3/6 and wondering if they realize they are limiting themselves to 1 feat or stat boost. It’s for reasons like this that respecing is necessary.
No need for a respec to every fart you do, just put a warning window when you pick your first multiclass level saying YOU NEED 4 LEVELS IN THE CLASS IN ORDER TO GET YOUR NEXT FEAT. In bold red letters.

Also yeah the status req removal will just make people get confused with scaling. Dont understand why their spellcasting is being ass or why his weird wizard is not managing to hit anything because he dumped STR and decided to pick levels in fighter.

Last edited by Takamori; 13/07/23 06:39 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Takamori
<SNIP>
Also yeah the status req removal will just make people get confused with scaling. Dont understand why their spellcasting is being ass or why his weird wizard is not managing to hit anything because he dumped STR and decided to pick levels in fighter.

I'm one of them filthy casuals you might have heard about. I understand why stats are important for what you want the character to do.
But I do concede that most of the world... doesn't think a whole lot.

Now, the point about feats that was brought up is certainly an interesting one even I'd like to find out about. Also, will spell tiers be restricted by stats? Is that a 5e thing even?

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
enthusiast
enthusiast
no, but hitting with spell require the guiding stat, and the same stat make them harder to resist... the stat also affects number of spells you can keep in your mind, in certain cases... though it doesnt affect spell slots... so a level 1 wizard with 16 int (+3), can memorice 4 spells... then they have a fixed number of spells slots to cast those memoriced spells, that is soley govenered by levels and in certin cases items...

Last edited by Aurora42; 13/07/23 06:57 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Takamori
Originally Posted by Warlocke

No need for a respec to every fart you do, just put a warning window when you pick your first multiclass level saying YOU NEED 4 LEVELS IN THE CLASS IN ORDER TO GET YOUR NEXT FEAT. In bold red letters.

Or they could just let people respec.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yea, if they even realice they missed out on the feats... im fairly sure some will play through the game not realicing why their struggling, or how feats work...

i mean you can do a 4/4/4 and get all feats as of 5e...
but a 3/1/3/1 would not get a single feat as of 5e...
or a 2/3/7 would only get one feat as of 5e...

my point is, do people understand its class levels that give feats and not character levels in 5e...

Last edited by Aurora42; 13/07/23 07:23 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Yea, if they even realice they missed out on the feats... im fairly sure some will play through the game not realicing why their struggling, or how feats work...

i mean you can do a 4/4/4 and get all feats as of 5e...
but a 3/1/3/1 would not get a single feat as of 5e...
or a 2/3/7 would only get one feat as of 5e...

my point is, do people understand its class levels that give feats and not character levels in 5e...

Larian has said in multiple videos that they don’t recommend multiclassing if you aren’t familiar with the ruleset. Maybe (hopefully) there is a prompt that says that when you open the multiclassing panel. That makes more sense than warming them specifically about which levels they get feats at, since there are a variety of other ways to gimp yourself multiclassing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The biggest flaw of BG3 imo is the dissonance between gameplay and storytelling, like they are making two different games. Writers want to present Nere as a Darth Vader type sinister and serious villain, and gameplay team wants you to be able to hilariously slap him into the lava in an exaggerated arc when the dialogue ends. Writers want to go deep with characters like Wyll and really explore what making a pact with a devil means, while gameplay team wants you to be able to respec him into a Bard because Bards have fun abilities. Writers want to craft a serious story about giving in to dark temptations and murder but gameplay team wants inconsequential death and incinerated PC's teleported back to camp for a cheap rez.

Couldn't have brought better examples.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by JandK
Yeah, I love to build characters and lose myself a little bit in the process.

As far as the multi-classing concerns:

1. I don't care about the stat requirement stuff.

2. The spell progression issue is something we need to learn more about. Right now, I'm not sure we have anything official about the way it's working. But yes, if you take one level of Wizard and then 11 levels of cleric and end up with 6th level spells in each, that will probably end up getting addressed in a future patch. It's just, that sounds so ridiculous to me that I don't think it's worth worrying about until we know what the actual system is.
I was going to respond yesterday, but the wind picked up outside and the forum started creaking like a rusty swing-set.

1. Class requirements don't bother me. They feel like rules designed to protect players from dud builds, but respec has that covered. The recent community update mentions that removing stat requirements opens roleplay options. I can see that.

2. This is where I think you're willing to give Larian more credit than I am. I'm not saying you're being overly generous, maybe I'm being harsh. Still, I remember being quite salty about the old reaction system. That system making it to the release version seemed ridiculous to me, but apparently that was on the table until Larian saw the community's feedback. So there's an outside chance that our last minute feedback about multiclassing might still impact its final implementation. The community update doesn't specify the mechanics of multiclassing, so maybe Larian are revising the system right now?

All that said, I appreciate your "don't panic" message. I've no tangible reason to claim that multiclassing will definitely reduce the number of interesting decisions in BG3. After 3 years of reading tea leaves to suss out how BG3 will take shape, I should probably just relax and enjoy the upcoming experience.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
Page 26 of 29 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard