Originally Posted by LordRhaegar
Originally Posted by Niara
So, the question I have for the OP is this:

I'm a player who likes to take my time with things, and be thorough. Now, when this new system was explained to me, I took it as an analogue for the adventuring day, so, every time I DO accrue 100 points, I rest, because I feel like that's supposed to be in line with the rhythm of time progression that's being simulated here... so as I explore and fight, I rest relatively often.

Now, we're in a video game, so the actual space I have to play with, and its contents, are limited, even if they make an attempt not to seem so.

The trouble is, I'm now at a situation where I have explored everything I can reach at the moment, and achieved all of the non-combat points that I have available without tackling a boss fight - I have boss fights in three directions, but I need to do at least one of them to progress at this point... Except, I don't have enough points for a rest right now, and my party is partially worn down and light on resources. I cannot beat any of the boss fights in my current condition. I also cannot rest.

What do I do, to prevent my game from being completely broken, and needing to restart it? Your system seems to allow for a broken game situation; how does it avoid that?
I appreciate the question. Someone else pointed something similar above. And it's a valid point, unlike crying about the companions.

This system does put pressure on a player to use their rests strategically, plan what they can fit into a single adventuring day and not paint themselves into a corner. Which I don't think is a bad thing, but there also shouldn't be situations you can't recover from, so I will grant this system would require the game to provide some ways of always gaining Rest Points. Some things that immediately come to mind are earning Combat Points by practicing on dummies, or Story Points by brewing potions, crafting items, fishing, etc., if any of those mechanics will be in the final game.

That also might not be perfect, and you might say, well, that's functionally the same as free rests, but if you make this free Points grinding tedious enough, but not prohibitively so, you make it an option for getting out of those sticky situations but disincentivize its abuse. I would also say, with pretty good story branching in the game, I wouldn't expect players to get stuck in these situations very often as there's almost always something else to do.

I'm reading with a lot of attention but to be honnest,
I would dislike A LOT to be in such a situation : "I'm stuck so I'm going to fish (or anything else) until I can rest".

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus