I don’t mind humor in a dark world at all. An example of well integrated humor was Sten in DAO…the cookie scene and the “are you a woman” scene. They were perfectly in character for him and did not break immersion, but were really funny.

The OP is not talking about humor. They are not
talking about characters with funny tics like Minsc. They are talking about complete tonal shifts and a mish mash of ideas that break immersion. I personally agree that the game suffers from this.

However, I have accepted it and moved on tbh. This game will never be anywhere near as special or memorable to me as others rpgs and I think this is one of the main reasons. Lack of cohesive tone and writing. However, That does not stop my enjoying it in a different way than I enjoy more masterfully written games. I just consider it goofy fun!

Also…it is so tedious to see the strawman arguments of “just skip it if u don’t like it”. I personally despise metagaming in an rpg. It is the number one thing that breaks immersion for me.

It so often seems like two camps. Camp one likes immersion in the sense that an rpg should feel natural and logical in and of itself with the ability to sink into a character and make choices based on that character’s traits…not based on beating the game or getting the most loot. Camp two cares less about immersion and instead wants tons of content, easter eggs, varied characters to interact with, etc. These are both TOTALLY fine, but it is annoying when folks from camp two willfully ignore what the folks from camp one are saying.

I (the player) can ignore the squirrels. My character, who knows NOTHING about the druid grove because he has never been there before, might very well try out his new magic ring by talking to the squirrels. When that happens, I (the player) roll my eyes and think “wow…there were too many cooks in the kitchen when this game was written”. I think that is what the OP is saying, and I get it. Stuff like that is immersion breaking.

I again point out that this is not a deabreaker for me…I can do camp one or camp two type games depending on my mood. But my all-time favorite games def come from the camp one way of thinking. It is a wee bit disappointing that BG3 is instead more of a “silly fun”game…but then again, those games are just fine.