Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hello guys,

I'm actually writing my big list of suggestion after 1 year.
Something comes in my mind while thinking about the resting system we talked a lot these last days.
I'd like to have your opinion before submiting this in a bigger thread.

My idea is that long rest should be strictly restricted because spellslot/feature management should matter in a DnD game.

Players should not have to create their own rules with a core mechanics of the game but obviously, no one should be stucked for a reason or another.
On top of that, players that don't want to be mechanically restricted too much should not be.

So, what if food items (apple, beer, cheese, meat,...) as a ressource for resting could be turned ON / OFF ?

Here's the idea.
- There are a very limited number of supply bags in the game but there are a as much food as now.
- Basically, food can't be used as supplies for long resting. Supply bags are required to long rest.
- But if "food = supplies" is ON - food can be used as ressources for long resting. The restrictions are as limited as now.

Merchants sell a lot of food, but they only sell a very limited number of supply bags.
Players with food OFF have a solution if needed.
Players with food ON can buy and stack as much food as they want in their camp.

This could be a cool way of tuning our experience both in single player and during our multiplayer campaigns imo.
Not sure it's possible to turn it ON/OFF in the options menu during the campaign. I guess it is, but I'm not a game devs.

Any though ? Help me to improve my list of suggestion please smile

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/10/21 07:30 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I like the idea except I think it should be a toggle slider for all junk items. If off, junk items don't even appear as being able to pick up, and any containers that just contain food and junk items or are empty also do not appear as being able to open. Thus, you do away with a lot of trash items in your inventory if you don't want to wade through it all.

Then, toggle slider provides other options from 1 to 10+. The player can adjust the value of items they want to negate. So, let's say I don't want to pick up any items of 3 GP or less, I'd set the toggle to 3, and the game would not make any items of 3 GP or less appear. Any containers with items less than 3 GP won't even appear as an option to open unless at least 1 item has a 4 HP item or better.

If I set to 10+, all items will appear like it does now.

So, need money? Go into options and set slider to 10+. Then everything shows up again, and you can go scrounging for useless stuff to pick up and sell. Or, better yet, have the slider on the inventory screen.

Last edited by GM4Him; 24/10/21 11:02 PM.
C
addict
addict
C
If I'm remembering correctly, POE2 has a difficulty setting about whether or not your stash has weight. Prefer not to care? jLoot everything and cash in, that's *your* choice. Want to have to be more selective? That's an option too. I think trying to micromanage the mechanic to find something reasonable to a large majority is impossible. Just make it inconvenient for those who want it, and irrelevant for those who don't.

veteran
veteran
I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Max's way is to at least turn food on/off so if people don't want to have to use food for camp, they don't need to. They can just sell it like all useless junk.

Mine suggests that I want to be able to make it so I don't even have to pick up things that cost less than a certain amount. For me, what's the point, and why waste my time. Just make it so I don't even see that useless junk to pick up.

I mean, really, how much money do you really get from all that crap? 30 GP every time you go to the store?

But some people might need every gold coin they can get, so they might want to pick up and sell everything. My suggestion allows for both play styles.

veteran
veteran
Sounds good to me.😊

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Max's way is to at least turn food on/off so if people don't want to have to use food for camp, they don't need to.

It's more about giving sense to the "long rest restrictions" they introduced in patch 5 than about items management, but I guess you have the idea.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/10/21 05:56 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
R
old hand
old hand
R
An option to turn on/off the use of food for a long rest would be nice.
Ideally, it should be independent of the difficulty level.
I like tough battles, but carrying a ton of food with me is not the most exciting task.

I would like the option to turn off rations for resting, even though i would personally not use it much if ever.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well,

I have never had any Problems with the amount of food, so i usually think this as just one more useless mechanic since it has not impacted my game apart from cluttering my inventory and using up weight limit.

Turnig it on/off would be nice. Removing it from the game would have no real impact imo.

My other suggestion would be the possibility to store all that stuff where it belongs. in the camp. I have used "send to camp" and put it in my travellers chest but then i could not access it in the "choose food" window.

My main hope is to have it out of my inventory.

I know that was made to keep it in game but remove the healing effect. So compromise and give food a "well fed" effect that gives a little bonus like recovering some HP over time out of combat.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I guess I did not explain it well because it would have a consequence on everyone.

- The entire act 1 would only contain (let's say) 8 supply bags + (let's say) 1/merchants.
These bags would be in specific locations, like at the end of ethel's lair, on the matriarch dead body,...

Players could long rest when they want but only if they previously found/buy one of the very few supply bag.
The game would limit long rest + tell the players when they may have done enough things for the day.

- Basically the food could not be used to long rest so if you don't find supply bags, you could not long rest.

- BUT for players that don't want to bother with action management too much, they could use food to long rest.

Being able to put the food in the camp chest and directly use it when you rest is totally something else.

The lack of time in the game is also something else that could be solved with other solutions.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/10/21 10:54 AM.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I don't understand how there's food issues for long rests.... there's so much in the game it's not funny. Pick up a barrel (or 8) and store food in that at camp. Even break them down into barrels per type (meat/fruit/veg/fish/etc) the biggest problem with long rests at the moment is lack of levels so you need to expend more each fight and require them back for the next. Food is not the issue, level 4 is. And that last suggestion before this I feel is just dumb. Considering you need to rest every time you use an illithid power to progress that storyline the last suggestion is a joke.

Take Care, Have Fun and Bee Well!
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Montiness
I don't understand how there's food issues for long rests.... there's so much in the game it's not funny.

Exactly my point.

Even break them down into barrels per type (meat/fruit/veg/fish/etc) the biggest problem with long rests at the moment is lack of levels so you need to expend more each fight and require them back for the next. Food is not the issue, level 4 is.

Ok, I can assume that according to you the game is "too hard" for level 4 characters.
What would it solve if we reached level 5 ? We "could" create a more restrictive rule in our head ? What is solved ? The resting system would still be an "as you will" rule.

Considering you need to rest every time you use an illithid power to progress that storyline the last suggestion is a joke.

This is something else.

veteran
veteran
I dunno ...
In basics i like the idea, even tho i believe its quite easy to simply ignore all food and pick supply bags, if you wish to use them only ... but i gues this option would make it even easier ... so i dare to see this as QoL improvement more than any system change.

So i gues +1 ...

The only problem i have with this suggestion is that it only take under concideration people who either like curent system, or want it even more strict ... but completely forgets about people who want it even more loose.
So i would like to add to this idea suggestion to allow people to set amount of resources needed for Long rest (yes, including option to disable it completely ... aka set it to 0).

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 25/10/21 12:58 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Okay, I guess the reason I was thinking it is still an item management thing is because if I'm going to shut food off I don't even want to pick it up to sell it. If I'm not going to use it as camping supplies, food is so worthless from a coin perspective, I just don't even want it to show up in my inventory or in loot windows to be picked up. So the toggle on off for food is fine with me as long as they make it so that if I turn food off I just never see it. That would be ideal to me ideal to me because it does drive me crazy having to manage so much food all the time in this game.

I lumped it together with other useless items because I feel the same way about those as well. It drives me crazy, and I know I'm not the only one, that I searched through so many containers and such only to find tons and tons of lame items that are only worth like a gold piece each, and they weigh me down and clutter up my inventory and take a while to sell, for very little profit in the end. I know I don't have to pick them up, but it's annoying when you open a chest and there is something like a scroll but you also will pick up a bunch of useless stuff if you hit loot all.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
i believe its quite easy to simply ignore all food and pick supply bags, if you wish to use them only ...

Supply bags are not well positionned and distributed for this. There are a lot of them and, in exemple every companion gives you one so you start with a lot of them.

Even if you only use them, there's really nothing that help the player to understand that resting too often is basically not expected (story =\= mechanics)

The only problem i have with this suggestion is that it only take under concideration people who either like curent system, or want it even more strict ... but completely forgets about people who want it even more loose.

I was thinking about merchants to solve this.

If they sell only a few supply bags and tons of food the "core" system suggested is safe and players can buy food to rest if they're playing with the optional "food=supply" rules ON.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

If they sell only a few supply bags and tons of food the "core" system suggested is safe and players can buy food to rest if they're playing with the optional "food=supply" rules ON.
I understand where thats coming from ...
But you switch the one problem with another, possibly even worse. laugh

I mean if right now someome is bothered by "need to run around and gather food" ...
I would bet they will be at least just the same bothered (probably even more, especialy since game start) by "need to run around and gather food, or buy food by merchants" :-/

But the idea of repositioning and redistribuing the supply packs i really like and support. ^_^

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 25/10/21 02:00 PM.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

I understand where thats coming from ...
But you switch the one problem with another, possibly even worse. laugh

I mean if right now someome is bothered by "need to run around and gather food" ...
I would bet they will be at least just the same bothered (probably even more, especialy since game start) by "need to run around and gather food, or buy food by merchants" :-/

But the idea of repositioning and redistribuing the supply packs i really like and support. ^_^

I see a lot of complaints about inventory management due to the new supply system (and the camp chest), I'm not sure I saw a lot of threads complaining about gathering the food.

Merchants looks like a decent solution especially if they sell meat.

Turning ON/OFF the entire system may be a thing, but I don't think it really should. DnD and BG3 are based on rules and as a core mechanic, resting should have rules.

We have the approval of Icelyn so I guess it's ok grin

veteran
veteran
About inventory management ...
I believe the best suggestion i heared so far was to imlement option to right click on any food in your bag ... and have there option to automaticly pack 40 units of food to Supply Pack. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 25/10/21 05:33 PM.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
About inventory management ...
I believe the best suggestion i heared so far was to imlement option to right click on any food in your bag ... and have there option to automaticly pack 40 units of food to Supply Pack. :-/

It could be cool yes, definitely.

Here's a suggestions of supply bags locations to suit this suggestion.
I think 10 supply bags (+4 through merchants) for act 1 is not too restrictive but is restrictive enough to ensure that players are careful with long rests.

Just to give an idea, In my last playthrough when I reached the grove I had 6 supply bags !

[Linked Image from zupimages.net]

[Linked Image from zupimages.net]

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/10/21 07:43 PM.

journeyman
journeyman
Food just needs to be a little more scarce, and come more from combat/questing and less from barrels. I don't think they need to completely overhaul the system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard